1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Looking for Czech mausers in 1/35

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Grizzly, Feb 25, 2006.

1. Grizzly Member

Anyone know if there is a source for 1/35 mauser rifles that are not 98K style? mainly what I need are Czech VZ24 patterns.
  2. GunNut New Member

United-States
    I don't know where you can get VZ-24 patterned Mausers, but I think you could get there with a hack. Take the the 98-style long Muser from the old Heller kit that has the two desert combatants and a Donkey carrying jerry cans (don't remember the name of the set, its probably easy to spot at shows though, Tabor combatants or something, my box is in French), and simply shorten it and shave off the buttstock's takedown disc. It has the flat buttplate like the VZ, not cupped like the K98, and the nosecap is solid instead of holed. I think on VZs you can have either types, don't recall. Then just add a second set of sling swivels on the left side and keep the ones on the bottom as well and you should have a convincing VZ24. Only the most astute nitpicker gun-geek will be able to tell tho.

The Heller rifle is quite a nice little Mauser, one of the few and one of the nicests full length Mauser 98s I've seen in plastic. It could pass for a Czech, Turk, German, Persian, etc...
  3. GunNut New Member

United-States
    Here's a pic to help. I know you obviously know the differences or you wouldn't e asking, but for anyone whos wondering.

The German K98 is at the top, this particular one was captured and reissued by the Yugoslavs, so technically now its a Yugo mauser. Th bottom one is a VZ-24. I was a little off on my ideas of how to convert the Heller long mauser, instead of completely removing the bolt takedown disc in he buttstock, you'd have to fill it and add a unit disc in brass or steel, but some VZs don't have them at all.

The Heller Mauser does have the wood handguard that wraps around the rear sight like on the VZ.

You'll also need a straight bolt handle. Looking at my VZ I also see that the VZ can indeed have a holed nosecap, and my German/Yugo in fact has a solid nose cap, go figure.

My VZ is also mising the front sight protector, just a large set of "wings".

So, if it helps, here's a pic...

[IMG]
  4. Einion Well-Known Member

Now that's what I call an answer (y) (y)

The routed groove for the fingers, I wonder if it's worth the effort to try to carve that out or whether one could get away with painting the illusion of it?

Einion
  5. GunNut New Member

United-States

<!--QuoteBegin-Einion
    @Mar 13 2006, 10:59 PM

The routed groove for the fingers, I wonder if it's worth the effort to try to carve that out or whether one could get away with painting the illusion of it?

Einion
    [/quote]

I suppose you could get away without the finger groove, or you could fill it with the figure's fingers

In 1/35 scale I don't know that it would matter, but it is part of the VZ's character. In a larger scale I'd say it would be necessary.

In fact, I'm mulling over the idea of a similar detail no one but myself will ever notice. I've got a 54mm White Russian fellow with a Mosin Nagant 1891. The kit rifle is crisp and well molded, a nice Mosin overall, but slightly off in some dimensions. The barrel is too thick and the bayonet is flat, not thick and cruciform like Mosin bayos are. I've been thinking about tryng to fix it but I'm afraid the effort will not be worth the trouble in the end. Little bitty weapons bug me, not many sculptors really have the gift of capturing the heart of a weapon properly, they do magnificent wrk on figures and faces and muscle, but weapons seem to be the afterthought. But then I collect guns, so that's just me I'm sure the uniform collectors can nitpick the figures too.