1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Looking for a Native American bust ...

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Russ, Jun 14, 2022.

1. Russ Active Member

United-States
    AI bust.png
    Hey, all -

I'm looking for the bust in the attached picture. I came across it on eBay at what seemed to me to be a too-good-to-be-true price: USD$36, with free shipping from greater China (2-4 months shipping time, though).

I've been burned by copies and pirates before, and want to make sure I'm buying from a reputable source. Does anyone recognize this bust, and can provide the artist/manufacturer? I'd rather pay a bit more for a "legitimate" copy.

Any help will be appreciated!
  2. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Mirofsoft and Russ like this.
  3. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Thanks, @Andrew - if I had a printer, I'd certainly look into that! :)
  4. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Wait - if this is originally sold as a file for 3D printing, then is printing and selling the output illegal? I can't see how it hurts the originator since (I'm guessing) anyone with printing capability would buy the file and do just that.

I'm so confused ... :unsure:
    1969 likes this.
  5. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    When purchasing the file it is for personal use as in to print a copy for yourself, it does not cover for moulding and casting copies to sell on, that is piracy and it is happening quite a lot with 3d files now.
    Steve
  6. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Thanks, Steve. I can understand that, for sure. SO - my only avenue to one of those busts is to get the file, then have someone print it for me - e.g., Shapeways. Is that ok?
    Oda likes this.
  7. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Following on from Steve's comment, have a look at the 'cgtrader' page and you'll find the 'editorial licence' under the price.
    Hover your mouse over this and you'll get a shortened version of what you can do.
    Click on the 'read more', and you'll get a detailed version of the licence agreement.
    Basically, you can print for yourself, but cannot print to sell on.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Russ likes this.
  8. Russ Active Member

United-States
    But if I buy the file, then contract with someone to print a copy ONLY for my use, I'm good - right?
    Oda likes this.
  9. winfield Active Member

I believe that is a Young Miniatures bust.
    Oda and Russ like this.
  10. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Thanks for the idea, winfield. I've been unable to find it on the YM site, or any listing of YM products.
  11. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Nap, Russ, winfield and 1 other person like this.
  12. Russ Active Member

United-States
    Most excellent, arj! Thank you; just placed an order with Sabot. ;)
    Oda and 1969 like this.
  13. Nap Moderator

England

Look forward to seeing your version which scale did you go for ?

Glad you got a good response

Andrew beat me to it !

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and Russ like this.
  14. Gary D PlanetFigure Supporter

Canada
    Good for you for recognizing an illegal copy and walking away from it Russ! Let's not reward these criminals...

Gary
    Oda and Russ like this.
  15. Russ Active Member

United-States
    FYI, I ordered the 1/12 size. :)
  16. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The first rule of figure modelling:

"China" + "too-good-to-be-true price" = 100% pirate.

- Steve
    Oda, Russ, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  17. Russ Active Member

United-States
    UPDATE: Now this morning, I get an email from Etsy advertising this same bust, same original picture, from "elbino56", shipped from New York, NY. 2-4 week delivery, for USD$27.19 (plus S&H, I presume).

So it seems that somebody stateside has the source file and is printing/selling. Gives traction to the idea that 3D printing is a key disrupter in this and many other markets.
  18. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    3D printing to sell is a minefield. The printer should be buying the file with permissions to print and sell. Those files cost a higher price and I know this is what companies like Mr Lee's Minis and El Greco do.

Etsy is another minefield of people selling recasts and prints without any permission. The best way to check is to see if they name the sculptor or Patreon.
    Russ likes this.