1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Lock N Load - Produced by Robot Rocket Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Gary_81, Feb 22, 2020.

1. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Lock N Load

lock-and-load_1__sized.jpg

Sculpted by Charles Agius
    Box Art by Arnau Lazaro Azcarate
    Cast by Broken Toad
    Concept by Abrar Khan
    Produced by Robot Rocket Miniatures
    Scale 1:9
    Price at the time of writing £55.00
    Materiel Grey Resin

Packaging and contents

IMG_1954.png

IMG_1930.png IMG_1996.png IMG_1936.png

I ordered Lock N Load along with another model directly from Robot Rocket Miniatures and they arrived quickly and secure together with no damage at all. The model came secure inside a black cardboard box made with a nice sturdy thick card stock, offering ample strength against any bumps it might receive in transit. The box has a black gloss engraving on the top of the companies logo which looks very nice and professional, and on the bottom is a nice piece of concept art.
    Inside the box everything was secured by foam pads, these are similar to the ones found inside jewellery boxes with the velvet feel on the top surface. The three smallest parts of the kit where also kept separate in a small plastic bag to prevent any damage to them which is welcome extra protection.
    The contents consisted of 7 resin parts, these are the torso and head, the right arm, the left arm, the rifle and left hand, the right hand, the gun stock and the radio.

Kit Components

Torso with Head

IMG_1963.png IMG_1965.png IMG_1966.png IMG_1968.png IMG_1969.png IMG_1970.png IMG_1972.png IMG_1973.png

The first photo I have added is a size comparison along side of SK Miniatures Cantiniere bust. I have added this as both models are 1:9 scale and both of female subject matter and this is why I got a shock when I opened the box. This really is a big model and feels larger than any of my other 1:9 scale kits when you compare the head sizes, which has allowed for a lot of detail to be put into this kit without it being so tiny it would be a pain to paint.
    The model has the remains of a casting block on the bottom of the model and a mould line on the left lower side, apart from that there is no other clean up needed.
    Firstly I would like to talk about the beautiful expression the sculptor has achieved on the face one of deep contemplation and an almost serene look to her, I love how the eyes have been sculpted closed with the detail of the eyelashes making the effect so realistic.
    I also really like how one side of the face is masked by some well sculpted hair complete with a braid, and the other side is exposed showing the scars of war. I love how the sculptor has managed to show the inner workings of her cybernetic enhancements it really is a testament to the power of 3D sculpting when paired with a great sculptor and an excellent caster, Broken Toad really do excel at achieving the impossible with there casting skills.
    We have some further cybernetics down the back of the neck and some kind of materiel on the front and partially on the side of the neck also. Part of what gives this model it's bulk is the vest with it's special forces look to it. I love the radio cord across the back and what looks like spare magazines in the front. This really is well sculpted with great attention to detail like the stitching on various sections, and a lot of different textures such as the straps and the velcro like surface on the front top section all with a different feel to the touch.

Left and Right Arm

IMG_1976.png IMG_1978.png IMG_1980.png IMG_1981.png

The left arm has a casting block at the top on the connection point and a mould line running down the front of the arm, both are easy to remove and clean up.
    This arm is fairly simple with only some bandage wrapping as detail on it but it has been well sculpted to show the musculature of a veteran soldier while still maintaining the feel of a female arm. Such a large blank area really does give potential for some nice freehand tattoo work and I'm sure there will be lots of interesting designs on painted versions of this model in the future.
    The right arm has a tiny pour spout on the elbow and a mould line along the back of the arm. This really is another testament to the sculptors and casters skills as the detail on this piece is crazy. All the wires and the netting are so intricate and fine yet the design is so good it all looks real. Another nice thing about this arm is how everything matches up perfectly with the torso when it is put in position, it's always good to see a well designed model that makes a modellers life easier. I think with this piece it is best to let the photos do the talking.

The Rifle and Stock

IMG_1983.png IMG_1985.png IMG_1990.png IMG_1992.png

The rifle has a casting block on the bottom of the grip and a small mould line along the bottom. The hand gripping the rifle has been beautifully sculpted and carries on the bandage wrapping from the arm, you even have some nicely sculpted nails on the ends of the fingers which is some great fine detail.
    The rifle to me looks as if they just shrunk down a real one it's that detailed, you even have the safety on both sides accommodating a left or right handed shooter. I'm sure a lot of research must have gone into this part and little things like the scope, the torch and the rail on the top add both interest and realism.
    The stock has only a small mould line around it and that is all. It fits perfectly with the rifle and carries on the nice design and detail work. This rifle really looks like it will be fun to paint and it would look great with some weathering and wear and tear from combat use.

Right Hand

IMG_1987.png IMG_1989.png

The right hand has a casting block on the bottom a run off connecting the dog tags to the arm and a mould line just on the underside.
    The detail continues with some more of the bandage style wrapping and a nice fingerless glove complete with fabric texture sculpted on. We also have a wire going from under the bandage into the back of the hand which matches up perfectly with the design of the rest of the right arm. I really like the clenched fist holding the dog tags which have also been beautifully sculpted. The fingers have been sculpted so well that they aren't all parallel and they seem to be applying different levels of pressure in the grip. Areas of realism like this really help to bring a model to life and show that anatomy and subject study have been taken into account to get the best end result.

Radio

IMG_1994.png IMG_1995.png

The radio has a little casting block on the bottom and a small mould line on part of the side, both which will take little effort to clean.
    Like the riffle the radio has been sculpted to the same high standards of realism and quality.You have a great looking key pad well laid out and a microphone grill at the top of the front, and even the dial on the top has been sculpted with a grip texture. This part fits perfectly on the side of the vest and lines up with the radio wire so it actually looks like it fits into the side. For such a small part it's great to see that it got some attention and care as sometimes rushed small parts can ruin the look of a otherwise great looking model.

Final Thoughts

The first thing I would have to say about this kit is it is a testament to the quality of casting being produced by Broken Toad, I can see why so many companies trust them to handle there casting work.
    As my first order from Robot Rocket Miniatures I am really happy it is more than I expected. As I stated at the start this is a big piece and after purchasing so many 1:10 and 1:12 busts recently it really felt nice to have such a big model as a change and I don't think it will strain my eyes when painting either:D.
    The subject matter and how it has been executed on this are excellent, I really love the feeling and emotion you get from this model. The expression on the face as she grips the dog tags really does give you a sense of the loss suffered in war, and this really made the model stand out from the crowd for me.
    I think this model also covers a lot of different collectors as you have a female bust but also a military bust and a scifi bust, there aren't really any limits on how realistic of fantastical you could paint it either.
    As a company I can only say good things about Robot Rocket Miniature from my first experience, and as a collector I can recommend this model for anyone as the quality is great and at £55.00 I really felt I got great value for money.

Gary

2. MrBMB A Fixture

I see this bust all the time and always think it's cool, I never realised it was 1/9. The casting looks great, I wish there was a full figure option with maybe here standing on a ammo crate or dead robot of some sort. Thanks for the review, very tempted by this!!
    Gary_81 likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gary

Great review on this , casting is as always from Broken Toad top class they are a credit to themselves and casting skills

Also pleased to say RobotRocket are also supporters of our monthly comp FOTM

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Gary_81 likes this.
  4. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    You must have read my mind, whenever I see most busts now I often think I wish it was a full figure and thought exactly that with this one to. If you're tempted it's certainly worth it and Robot Rocket also have some other great busts worth checking out to.

Gary
  5. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hey Nap I'm glad you liked the review and it's great to hear Robot Rocket are supporters here as they're an amazing company. I also totally agree with what you said about Broken Toad, I haven't ordered from them directly but have a few models from other companies they have done the casting for and it's always of the highest standard.

Gary
    Jimbo likes this.
  6. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Cracking looking bust..Bit different from my normal line of interest but I do like it(y)
    Can't see it on the Robot Rocket website though?
    Cheers
    Jim
    Gary_81 likes this.
  7. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Jim,
    It really is a great bust but at the moment the last few have just sold out on the Robot Rocket store, and when that happens they remove it from the shop section. I'm hoping they will be getting more cast up as when it is in stock it seems to sell out fast.

Gary
    Nap likes this.
  8. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Okay Gary, thanks for letting me know..will keep my eye out for the bust to come back up on their website(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Gary_81 likes this.
  9. Ong Active Member

I too would go for a full 90-120mm figure of this.

I think this is a really neat and cool concept and would like to see more of it to understand what kind of environment she is fighting in, which could only be achieved with a base and a full figure.
    Gary_81 and Nap like this.
  10. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Ong,
    It would be great as a full figure true, but you could also go really creative and incorporate the environment into the plinth and maybe do a painted background attached to the plinth to show this. I have recently seen some amazing busts on putty and paint such as this one https://www.puttyandpaint.com/projects/24245 by Aythami Alonso Torrent which makes great use of scenery to set the mood of the bust.

Gary
    Nap likes this.
  11. Ong Active Member

Thanks, Gary. I believe that this is the second run casting of "Lock and Load" as the first one (and now the second) are all sold out. It's a very interesting and cool concept.
    Gary_81 likes this.
  12. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes exactly right Ong. I really wish Robot Rocket could have a constant stock level available but I guess when your products are in such demand it's hard not to sell out fast.

Gary
  13. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Good review there Gary.

Not sure if you're aware but the concept for this bust is actually this image (taken from the digital artists Instagram).
    Screenshot_20200225-205911_Instagram.jpg

The lady is actually a real person (Marisa LaRen). Something rarely seen in sci-fi miniatures.

There are others coming based on the digital artists work too.
    Edorta and Gary_81 like this.
  14. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I had actually checked out his work when I got the bust and really like his work. Being a fan of Titanfall and Destiny I really like his style and the concepts he's come up with. It will be great to see what's coming and I'm really looking forward to the stuff from Mr Lees that you're involved with Forte. I feel I will need to add a few more shelves for all the models I will be buying :D.

Gary
    Forté likes this.
  15. Forté A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Might have something from the new range coming on Monday. But I'll leave it at that. Can't be hijacking your thread for that. Especially when I know how much time goes into creating a review and you've been busy with yours.
    Gary_81 likes this.