1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Little Hand

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by LCoote, Jan 10, 2004.

1. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Hey guys,

haven't been doing much of late but here are a couple of new pics of Little hand.

Quang, I have a question for you regarding the hair, the pony tails appear to be tied with something rather than platted, what sort of material would be used for this, it looks like hair ?
    The left hand side one as you look at the picture also looks like it has something bound within the ponytail ?
  2. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Hey guys,

haven't been doing much of late but here are a couple of new pics of Little hand.

Quang, I have a question for you regarding the hair, the pony tails appear to be tied with something rather than platted, what sort of material would be used for this, it looks like hair ?
    The left hand side one as you look at the picture also looks like it has something bound within the ponytail ?
  3. LCoote New Member

Australia
    another view
  4. LCoote New Member

Australia
    another view
  5. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Leigh,

As Creafigs have removed their original large picture, from what I can guess from the small one at the top of the thread, the braids on either side of the head have a ribbon entwined into the hair. You can easily see the effect by braiding a length of hair (i.e. on a doll) with a ribbon in it. Very tricky to do in miniature. I suggest you drop it and concentrate on the face instead (which is the original purpose of this exercise).

Now unto your sculpt. You'd notice that your head fits into a rectangle instead of a square like on the original. So I'd widen up the face slightly on the cheek level. That also would make the eyes smaller (a common trait to Indians is the small, round, pebble-like eyes). A fact further accentuated by the protruding eyebrow ridge.

The nose is also wider especially above the nostrils. Also note how the chin starts directly under the lower lip and has a sharp ridge in the middle.

Your sculpt is promising so far but I think that with these small changes, it will look even more 'Indian'.

Best wishes,
    Quang
  6. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Leigh,

As Creafigs have removed their original large picture, from what I can guess from the small one at the top of the thread, the braids on either side of the head have a ribbon entwined into the hair. You can easily see the effect by braiding a length of hair (i.e. on a doll) with a ribbon in it. Very tricky to do in miniature. I suggest you drop it and concentrate on the face instead (which is the original purpose of this exercise).

Now unto your sculpt. You'd notice that your head fits into a rectangle instead of a square like on the original. So I'd widen up the face slightly on the cheek level. That also would make the eyes smaller (a common trait to Indians is the small, round, pebble-like eyes). A fact further accentuated by the protruding eyebrow ridge.

The nose is also wider especially above the nostrils. Also note how the chin starts directly under the lower lip and has a sharp ridge in the middle.

Your sculpt is promising so far but I think that with these small changes, it will look even more 'Indian'.

Best wishes,
    Quang
  7. quang Active Member

Belgium
    See picture...

HERE (y)
  8. quang Active Member

Belgium
    See picture...

HERE (y)
  9. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks Quang, I appreciate your comments , yes I see what you mean about the chin and the nose, and yes the eyes do look a bit too large, they have caused a little bit of concern.

Do you suggest that I add more to the cheek bones or the whole side of the face ?

The actual photo looks as if it's not taken exactly square on, it seems there is more face showing on the left as you look at the picture, or could it be because of the lighting.

Leigh
  10. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks Quang, I appreciate your comments , yes I see what you mean about the chin and the nose, and yes the eyes do look a bit too large, they have caused a little bit of concern.

Do you suggest that I add more to the cheek bones or the whole side of the face ?

The actual photo looks as if it's not taken exactly square on, it seems there is more face showing on the left as you look at the picture, or could it be because of the lighting.

Leigh
  11. quang Active Member

Belgium
    I'd suggest you start with the cheekbones.

Most of the time when sculpting a face, the errors come from the bone structure. If your bone structure is sound, the rest would follow. Another common mistake is that you try so hard to COPY THE EXPRESSION that you lose sight of the bone structure.

It does not matter much whether the photo was taken straight on or not. Every face is assymetrical anyway. The trick is to make it LOOK symetrical while it's actually not.

Another trick is to make the viewer BELIEVE that it looks alike while it's really not. You can see it on the numerous portraits that Vincent Van Gogh did of himself. That's what's Art is all about! ;)

Q.
  12. quang Active Member

Belgium
    I'd suggest you start with the cheekbones.

Most of the time when sculpting a face, the errors come from the bone structure. If your bone structure is sound, the rest would follow. Another common mistake is that you try so hard to COPY THE EXPRESSION that you lose sight of the bone structure.

It does not matter much whether the photo was taken straight on or not. Every face is assymetrical anyway. The trick is to make it LOOK symetrical while it's actually not.

Another trick is to make the viewer BELIEVE that it looks alike while it's really not. You can see it on the numerous portraits that Vincent Van Gogh did of himself. That's what's Art is all about! ;)

Q.
  13. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Leigh, it looks great! I think Quang is giving you some terrific advice too.
  14. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Leigh, it looks great! I think Quang is giving you some terrific advice too.
  15. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, Very nice so far, only having one photo to work with. Given Quang's sage advice you're going to see a different face. Mine is coming along okay, it's not being able to get some feedback on that stinks. Anyway keep going, I like what your doing.~Gary
  16. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Leigh, Very nice so far, only having one photo to work with. Given Quang's sage advice you're going to see a different face. Mine is coming along okay, it's not being able to get some feedback on that stinks. Anyway keep going, I like what your doing.~Gary
  17. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Gary,

It's too bad we cannot see your bust in progress. :(

I hope you'll be back soon with some new pics.

Quang
  18. quang Active Member

Belgium
    Gary,

It's too bad we cannot see your bust in progress. :(

I hope you'll be back soon with some new pics.

Quang
  19. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks again Quang, great advice (y) I'll make some adjustments and be back with some new pics in a day or so.
    It's not until you sculpt in the larger scales that these things become so important.

Gary, I'd love to see how your progress is going, what's happening with your camera ?
  20. LCoote New Member

Australia
    Thanks again Quang, great advice (y) I'll make some adjustments and be back with some new pics in a day or so.
    It's not until you sculpt in the larger scales that these things become so important.

Gary, I'd love to see how your progress is going, what's happening with your camera ?