1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Little Generals - Praying Mountain Man

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by sippog, Oct 21, 2017.

1. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    As a companion piece to Western Doctor, here's the other Little Generals figure I was working on.

My first ever snow scene. I used Precision Ice & Snow with some crystal snow from an AFV company.
    PrayingFinal2.jpg
    phil_h, arj, oldtrousers and 6 others like this.
  2. Sascha H. Active Member

Very atmospheric. Looks and feels cold ;) Like it a lot (y)
    anstontyke and sippog like this.
  3. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom

Thanks, Sascha H. Wasn't sure if I'd overdone it a bit with the snow :sneaky:
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice piece.....interesting web site .....like the "Western Doctor" piece also.....keep up the good work..

Wayne
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Very nicely presented like the way it blends into the basework

Thanks for sharing

Nap
  6. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Wayne, Nap

Thanks for the encouragement.
    After these fiddly - and heavy! - old kits, I'm going to paint some nice busts next. ;)
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. bucsfan21 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well recall the Ron Hinote Little Generals kits...Nice job on the Mountain Man! (y) I like your use of snow. It does indeed look a bit chilly!

Ron Hinote was something else, quiet a colorful character! He came to our Atlanta Show back in the 80's and sculpted on site. He used a toaster to cure the putty. I still have two Little Generals kits in my gray army-Stand Watie's Cherokee Rifles and the 114th Pa. Zouaves!

And yes, those old metal kits are indeed heavy. Series 77 had some outrageously heavy kits in their mounted range. I recall one of our members saying he felt like he was working out lifting the mounted Mountain Man kit done by Pat Bird for his Americans Series.

Thanks for sharing your work with us! Best of Everything, Terry Martin-member of the Atlanta Miniature Figure Society:)
  8. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    From everything I heard, Ron was a character; though I never met him. He was also very talented. The sculpts that he did are quite crude by today's standards but there's real vitality in them.

I bought quite a few of his kits from a British model dealer who imported them and ordered a couple directly from Ron on the phone in pre-internet days. I have his Mounted Sioux to do sometimes - that weighs a bit!
    anstontyke likes this.
  9. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Very nicely done.
    Cheers
    John
    sippog and anstontyke like this.
  10. Ulrich A Fixture

Germany
    I like the scene. Very good
    sippog and anstontyke like this.
  11. Kevin D. Well-Known Member

United-States
    I recently found the mounted mountain man...haven't gone through the kit to see if its all there yet.

The praying mountain man was one of my favorites!

Yours looks very frosty! Well Done!

Kevin
    sippog likes this.
  12. sippog Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks, Kevin. I'd quite like to see the Mounted MM if you ever get around to building it.
    Pat Bird was Series 77, if memory serves. I have The Gambler from that series.

I have one more Little Generals MM to do - the Canuck running through the snow - so I'm going to get another chance to get the ice & snow look right at some point
    Kevin D. likes this.
  13. phil_h A Fixture

United-States
    Nicely done and some great atmosphere.
    Phil
    sippog likes this.