1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Liquitex gesso

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by Alex, Sep 7, 2013.

1. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    hello all

Was using (and still) Floquil grey figure primer in a rattle can to prime my figures but the smell is terrible even if using good ventilation. And in the winter , it's not practical at all.
    So then tried Vallejo polyurethane primer in an airbrush but the primer doesn't adhere as well to metal as the Floquil/Tamyia/auto primer stuff.

and now I'm thinking about trying acrylic gesso.... The stuff that I use on canvas.
    From looking online, it seems that a lot of mini painters are using Liquitex neutral grey primer with great result. but never anyone talked about it here ? With gesso you do not have any VOC, no need to clean airbrush, etc. And since it shrinks a little bit, it won't clog details..

Cheers

Alex
  2. phc35 Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hello:
    I might be the lone voice, but I was taught by a figure painter who used Gesso. I've tried other sprays, but I still refer Gesso, It can be thinned with

just water. I've had more than enough of clogged spray cans. That I've had to decant to finish using the can.

My only bad experience with gesso was that I bought some black gesso and even after drying, it would lift right off the figure when applying acrylics.
    But I plan to try the black again with by cleaning the figure better .

good luck

Jay