1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Lion of Panshir from New World Miniatures

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi to one and all ,
    After recently attending a model show in Newbury in UK , I came across a new company (to me at least!!!) called Field of Glory Models who are the sole distributor of New World Miniatures in the UK mainland .

After perusing the goodies on the stand and getting the hard earned shekels out I settled on a purchase of a bust (shock I know) so lets have a look at the model .......

Before that a bit of a background to the man himself to get you in the mood.

Ahmad Shah Massoud (احمد شاه مسعود-) born September 2 1953 – September 9, 2001) was a engineering student turned military leader who played a leading role in driving the Soviets out of Afganistan, earning him the name Lion of Panjshir. His followers called him Āmir Sāhib-e Shahīd (Our Beloved Martyred Commander).

A charasmatic leader building up his forces to a well organised and effective army at time in excess of 5,000.

On September 9, 2001, two days before the 9/11 attacks in the United States, Massoud was assassinated in Afghanistan by two suspected Arab suicide bombers posing as journalists. The following year, he was named "National Hero" by the order of Afghan President . The date of his death, September 9, is observed as a national holiday known as "Massoud Day" in Afghanistan.The year following his assassination, in 2002, Massoud was nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize.

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

2. Nap Moderator

England
    Moving on tio the model itself :

Subject Title: Ahmad Shah Massoud "The Lion of the Panshir" as per the box art

Scale : 1/9th

Material : Resin

Reference Number : NWM -9002

Sculptor : Roman Van den Bogoert

Box Art : Mathieu Fontaine

The models is a simple one piece casting which incorporates a substantial base (there was a bit of work required to remove the casting plug/flash on the underside of the base).There is also a flash line to remove that runs up both sides of the base , apart from this and a little filling on the hat prep was easily done .

The model comes in a sealable plastic bag which is further enclosed in a clear plastic blister pack which allows the purchaser to see both the model and the colour card insert (a good reference for painting) .

continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

crf likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets have a look at the actual model itself :

Minimal prep is required apart from waht has already been mentioned , You will have to get out a very small amount of filler for the back of the cap at the base (see picture) .

Casting is clean and finely done of particular note are :

The fold on the clothing , all of which looks to be hanging naturally , the shirt collar is also nicely done with some fine undercuts .

Facial features are very accurate , looking through my research prior to doing the review .

Hair and beard are well defined .

All of these will aid painting and produce a unusual display model .

Conclusion:

New World Miniatures have produced a very unusual subject of a very brave man, well sculpted and detailed , there is I think the possiblilty to convert if you should so wish.
    Packing is more than sufficient to prevent any damage and the best thing is that the UK now have a distributor in Fields of Glory Models .

I must admit I applaud the enterprise of F o G and when I met them they were very helpful and only too willing to discuss the products in an open and informative manner .

They do not just do busts but have a wide range of models /paints/scenery , all of which is well shown on their website , this being easy to navigate round and I am sure that the customer service will be very good indeed ..so why not have a look at their website.

I puchased the review model for a mere £23.48 which was reasonable IMHO and was sorely tempted by other figures !!!!

Website details: www.fieldsofglorymodels.co.uk

E mail: sales@fieldsofglorymodels.co.uk

Telephone Contact: Lee Witts on 07745 872908

Address: PO BOX 671
    Camberley
    Surrey
    GU17 6BF

VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED

Lets have a look at the pictures now and just look at the close up of the face ..well worn and used to a tough life .....so enjoy the model

Nap

Attached Files:

4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Great bust from a great leader.
    Thanks Kevin.:)
  5. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for sharing an informative review (y)

Roman Van den Bogoert and Mathieu Fontaine's work on this piece is very well done :)
  6. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Yes Indeed - I read his story about a year ago, his end very tragic.:(
  7. Tommy's War Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Not wishing to be pedantic, can I just clarify the following:

The company in question are not sole distributors for New World Miniatures in the UK. I've been supplying New World figures for about 2 years here in the UK and have an extensive back-catalogue of New World figures and regularly take new stock including all the recent LRDG figure releases.

Other than that, great review!
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Darren ,
    Thanks for clarifying this , the information quoted was given to me direct from the company , my apologies if I misled anyone .

Nap