1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Critique Lincoln bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by mikec55, Oct 29, 2011.

1. mikec55 Active Member

United-States
    I haven't picked up a brush in over 2 years so I hesitate to post this considering the overall quality of work shown on this site. I bought this at the recent Chicago show & I'd really like to know if I'm on the right track or should I just pack up the brushes for another 2 years. I can stand some brutally:confused: honest feedback regarding the face painting, so fire away. The hair & coat were painted to provide temporary perspective.
    Also, is a catchlight necessary for the eyes? How about a coat of dullcoat spray when all is done & then a touch of gloss to give the eyes a moist look?
    Thanks for your help.

Mike

Attached Files:

2. Meehan34 A Fixture

United-States
    I'm no expert but it is a nice start. The face needs more contrast and some more blending once those are applied. I like catchlights but you will get every opinion possible on that subject. If glossing the eyeball I like to just gloss the whites and add the catchlight. If no catchlight gloss the whole eye.
  3. bed172 Active Member

United-States
    Looks like your off to a pretty good start. I would say punch up the highlights a little more and maybe add some cooler shadow colors in the "five o'clock shadow'" area. And as Mike said a little more blending and you've got it. I like adding a catch light in the eye myself and on these larger scale figures I gloss the entire eye ball.
    Good to see a fellow hoosier on here. I'm originally from New Castle myself.(y)
    Meehan34 likes this.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Mike,

I think Bob's right about punching up the highlights on the skintones. You've got good shadow tones and a good medium skintone but no top highlight colour.

As for the eyeballs, I would recommend you gloss the eyeball rather than paint a catch light. A catch light only looks accurate when you have a constant light direction, whereas glossing the eyeball will create a natural catch light from any direction.
  5. mikec55 Active Member

United-States
    Mike, Bob, & Tony-

Thanks for all the good advice. I'll try to sit down some time this week to work on your suggestions. I'll post more pics of any progress.

Just yesterday, I saw a photo of Lincoln in Civil War Times magazine. It was taken during his 1st year in the White House & he always said was his favorite. Even tho the photo was black & white, it clearly shows that his eyes were a very light color, just as it says in the painting instructions. I used brown because my bottle of blue/gray ran out a while ago, but after seeing the photo, I placed an order for the appropriate color so that's another thing I'll need to fix.

Bob- There must be some kind of an Indiana/Oklahoma connection. My sister was born here, married a guy from Elk City, & lived in Yukon ever since.