1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Light relief - model Pilot Cutter

Discussion in 'Lounge' started by MCPWilk, Oct 31, 2019.

1. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As a little light relief from painting Medieval heraldry and Roman shield patterns, I acquired this unfinished hull off eBay and completed it. It is a typical Pilot Cutter from around the turn of the 19th/20th century:

Happy modelling, whatever your interest,

Mike

Port side (2).jpg Starboard side.jpg Bowsprit.jpg Bow deck details.jpg Port shroud details.jpg Aft deck.jpg Masthead.jpg Ensign and gaff.jpg Sprit masthead.jpg
  2. Chris Oldfield A Fixture

England
    Fantastic work, Mike. The rigging & deck planking are very impressive, I could look at static models like this for hours & find new things to admire each time. Thanks for showing it here.
  3. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thank you,

Mike
    Chris Oldfield likes this.
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very nice detailing Mike.
    Your patience must be astounding.
    If I wore a hat, I'd doff it to you.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Blind Pew likes this.
  5. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great work Mike..Wheres the crew?
    Gordon
  6. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Having a brew in the cabin........!
    Nap likes this.
  7. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Very nice work Mike.....I too have delved into the world of model ship building....A plank on bulkhead model of the ship "Pandora" that went after the mutineers of the ship "Bounty"....... I managed to do the hull and deck, all wood planking (not easy but challenging). Anyway, stalled out and started painting miniatures, so now it sets in my workshop as a constant reminder of how things and interests change.

Wayne
  8. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    The joy of model ships (like Pandora) is that even the hull looks good when finished and can be displayed as such.

My sister has a vintage shop and sometimes gives me pond yachts to renovate. This one consisted of a very battered hull and no deck, spars or sails:

Port side, red sails.jpg

The planking was just drawn in carefully on the plywood deck:

Deck, red sails.jpg

Mike
    Blind Pew and Jamie Stokes like this.
  9. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for this post Mike,..It has made me realize how many more interests I have in the hobby world. I don't know what it is but I just can't stick with just one thing for too long. I canceled my table at a model show this weekend for just that reason. I still like painting figures but I'm thinking about maybe going back to that model ship. Never cared for the competitive aspect as I have been there with other things in my life. So, will see where this goes. Anyway, keep up the good work whatever you do.
    Regards,
    Wayne
    MCPWilk likes this.
  10. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb stuff. So good in fact, that I put a hat on, just so I could doff it, so impressed was I. (y)
    MCPWilk likes this.