1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

'Light Jock' of the 93rd, 1810

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DaveCox, Feb 8, 2006.

1. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    This is a simple conversion from the old Airfix kit of the napoleonic guardsman. All I did was alter the shako to the older pattern, changed the facing colours and painted the diced band around the base of the shako. Alterations from this kit are limited to those regiments using pairs of bastion-ended lace on the tunic! The 93rd later became better known as the Sutherland Highlanders. All paints are acrylic.

Attached Files:

2. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Rear view

Attached Files:

3. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Good thing Dave is that you keep onpainting and that will keep you improving. Try to do better definitions around belts and laces, with dark brown or dark brown -black mix , with pretty thin visible lines but really thin as these are virtual and non existing on the living figure.
  4. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Costas. I tried to do the 'lining out' on this one, but to be honest even with good lights and my glasses I could hardly see what I was supposed to be painting! Unless I can find a prescription magnifier I think 54mm is about out for me now!
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, That's a nice little conversion you have there. A figure need not be radically aletered to look like something totally new. Little conversion projects such as this will eventually lead to more involved ones. So gett cracking on that next minor conversion. :) ~Gary
  6. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Nice one Dave. I use a magnifyer for nearly all my painting projects not just 54mm :( .

Roger.
  7. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dave,

Nice figure you have there. For the painting, why don't you use a visor. I use a visor of 4 diopt.. Corrected for colour. It cost's about € 40,- by an opticien.
    You can paint everything with it.
    Important is that you look as much as possible to the figures here on pF and in magazine's.
    Above all ask as much as you can.
    You are improve with every figure, but keep the brushes wet.

Marc
  8. Kyle Member

United-States
    Nice job, Dave.

I can't paint anything below 90mm without magnification - the same for lots of us!

I use a 4x magnifier with a 3.25 inch diameter lens. It's nice because it clamps onto my desk and I don't have to wear it or hold it.

Here's an image of it: http://www.kitpic.com/is.php?i=23712&img=PICT2118.JPG

Cheers,
    Kyle