1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Light Infantry 1915

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by flart1943, Jun 23, 2007.

1. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Hi All
    This is my latest painted figure. It is Jon Smith’s Officer 2nd Bn Light Infantry Flanders 1915.
    I feel that I am a competent painter (well almost) but looking at my finished work I feel that there is something missing, it seems to lack flair, almost like the difference between a ‘work of art’ and a ‘painting by numbers’. So if there is anyone out there that can help with some, constructive criticism, and or suggestions on how to give a painted figure that little something extra that is the difference between competent and, I was going to say Magic, but Better will do. Thanks.
    Pete

Attached Files:

2. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    HI Pete, 2nd Lt. Oliver 2/DLI. Nice one.
    Not being a oil painter I'll leave any constuctive criticism to those better qualified than me. My best suggestion is to study other peoples work on the vbech and gallery sections and see where you want to go with your painting.
    I know it has helped me a lot.

Roger
  3. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Thanks

Hi Roger
    Thanks for the advice. I have registered with the website you suggested. Thanks again and all the best.
    Pete
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Pete: Your figure looks fine to me!! Darn sight better than I can paint!! I think you did particularly well on the tunic.

All the best,
    Dan
  5. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Thanks

Thanks Dan. Yes I think it is mostly the face that I am not happy with. Also I paint all the parts separately and assemble them later mayby this is the
    problem.
    Pete
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dear Pete, I have no idea about painting with oils. Hopefully one of the guys who do will offer some help. The only thing I can say about assembly before painting is I would guess it allows you to blend and shade more easily, but, again, I'm not a painter. Keep at it! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  7. flart1943 Active Member

England
    Thanks

Hi Dan
    Thanks for the help.
    Pete
    PS. Thanks for letting us know about David J Parkins, Firing Line, in your thread a few weeks ago I have sent for some stuff from him and have found them to be excellent, if larger then J S. Thanks again.