Life Guard Officer 1685

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Bassman, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Bassman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Starting a new project for a collector. It is a Officer of the Life Guards 1685 during the Monmouth
    Rebellion, and is based on Simkin print. The horse is an Eisenbach, with a Histores saddle.
    For the rider, I'm using a breastplate from the Airfix pikeman, and a head from an old Michael
    Roberts kit. The rest is a standard lower torso, and shoes I have. The rest will be mostly scratch.
    I'll post more pictures soon.
    Best Regards,
    Rod
    348.PNG photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG
  2. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Interesting subject and use of parts. It would be nice to see SBS postings of this interesting project.

Colin
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Super project Rod.
    Your progress so far is very nice. I love to see the subjects where a host of non related parts are pulled together.
    Like Colin. I would be very keen to see this grow step by step.
    Keep up the good work,
    Keith
  4. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    This is a very under used period by the manufacturers, dress was colourful and flamboyant, with interesting painting challenges.

Look forward to seeing this develop
  5. tomifune A Fixture

United-States
    Great vision, Rod. Like putting together a classic car from parts you picked up at the junkyard!!:p Hope you finish it in time for Chicago.

Bob
  6. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great start! Interesting subject
    Hope you post this as a detailed SBS

Will follow closely

Colin
  7. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    This'll be a SBS well worth following. Really looking forward to it.
    Cheers
    Derek
    Wings5797 likes this.
  8. Bassman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks to everyone for the comments. Here are the next progress pics. I'm sorry this won't be a in depth step by step, as I'm trying to finish this for Chicago next month. I'm already starting the painting phase of the project, but thought I would share
    the sculpting process. The pictures show the legs, and arms being defined. I use A&B putty at this stage, so I'm just trying to get a general size before adding the actual clothing. It is also good to make sure he will sit well in the saddle. The other
    two pictures show the start of adding the saddle cloth to the horse. I use a paper template for the general shape, and then cut it out of thin sheet lead. I then cut the fringe which take a little patience, and a steady hand. I like to use this method
    because I can adjust the fringe in different directions to show movement. I try to complete the horse first before I start adding any real detail to the rider. I'll be adding all the harnessing next, and will post again soon.
    I hope this will help anyone considering conversions, and scratch building. It does open up a lot of possibilities.

Best Regards,
    Rod

photo 1 (1).JPG life guard 1.jpg life guard 2.jpg life guard 3.jpg life guard 4.jpg
  9. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    I dare to say from these early stages, that the collector will be more than satisfied.

Xenofon
  10. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    Anything fromthe history of The Life Guards is good for me!

Martin
  11. Bassman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here's the next installment of pictures. Putting on the harness straps, along with the lace edging on the saddle cloth. The straps are made with sheet lead cut to size, with buckles, and bits from Historex spares.
    The lace is paper with a plastic like covering I just happen to find at work. It work great for straps, reins etc., and is glued to the saddle cloth using white glue. Sculpted the tail, forelock, and the mane with Magic Sculpt. The collector wanted the mane done a different way. It is braided into tufts wrapped with ribbon. Also added the ribbon at the horses head, each side, and the tail. The horse is finished, except for the pistol holsters, which will be added later. Next is the rider.

Best Regards,
    Rod

photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG
  12. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    good job Rod... great
  13. ChaosCossack A Fixture

Canada
    Great so far.
    Giving lots of good ideas

Colin
  14. Bassman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks Ivo, and Colin for your comments.
    Starting work on the rider using magic sculpt for the trousers, and A&B mixed with Duro for the hat brim. Added the sword sash using sheet lead, and sculpted the sash around the waist.
    I will send more pictures soon. Thanks for looking, and comments are welcome.

Best Regards,

Rod
    life guard 1.jpg life guard 2.jpg life guard 3.jpg life guard 4.jpg
  15. Bassman Well-Known Member

United-States
    It's been awhile since posting on this project. The pictures are showing the completed hat, with feathers, and the coat tails using A&B,Duro mix rolled out very thin. Using a paper template I cut the shapes needed, and glued under the sash.
    The coat will have pleats, so I filled in the gaps with magic sculpt. When dry, sanded smooth, then applied the pleats with magic sculpt. Using alcohol smoothing ,and blending it with the coat tails. Added the hair, coat cuffs, and finished the
    bottom of the sword sash, with the scabbard. Also added the sword hand. Almost done with the rider.
    Thanks for looking,
    Rod
    photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG
  16. housecarl A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking grand Rod.(y)
  17. Bassman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Here is the last of the sculpting pictures. You can see the finished pleats, the boots, with spurs, and all the buttons. Also added the sash ends, and the ends of the neck cravat. Ready for the painting phase.
    Thanks again for looking,

Rod
    photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG photo.JPG

Attached Files:

18. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Really beautiful work there Rod. I can't wait to see the painted result.

Xenofon
  19. ellie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Now that is very nice indeed love to see the painted version keep it up.

Ian
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Superb work Rod.
    Very good work on this conversion/sculpt. You have really made a good job of this complex uniform.
    Cheers,
    Keith