1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Lewis & Clark, Corp of Discovery

Discussion in '"Today in History", Literature & Media Review' started by Shane, Apr 21, 2004.

1. Shane Active Member

This is a period about 2000 years beyond my recent area of experience. Can someone recommend a good reference for sculpting this subject?
  2. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I have an interesting book with alot of prints:
    An American Journey, Lewis & Clark
    by, Daniel B. Thorp

available thru Barnes & Noble

you could also do a google search as they will give you a multitude of websites
  3. John Long Active Member

United-States
    I remember Gary D. and Joe Hudson discussing this book on this site a while back. It sounds like a very good all in one reference for the Corps of Discovery. Hopefully they'll chime in and give their take on the book.
  4. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Shane,

John is correct. Gary and I both purchased the book "Tailor made and Trail Worn" . I think this is buy far the best book out there. It has more info than a Trioani, in my humble opinion. ;) Here is the site http://www.mhaynesart.com/home.html and he also has a new one out. I have not seen it but I am sure it would be a good one.

Joe
  5. Shane Active Member

Thanks for all the information. I remember Joe telling me about this book now.
  6. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Shane, It's a subject that I'm interested in as it deals quite a bit with American military dress of the early 1800's. It's the most complete book you'll find on the subject without having to consult very many references outside of the book.~Gary
  7. Shane Active Member

Gary, Joe & John,

One more question. You guys area of expertise is the early American stuff, so I'll direct this question to you. Can anyone recommend references for War of 1812 Militia uniforms? I was thinking about depicting a soldier at the Battle of Horseshoe Bend or New Orleans. I sold my Trioani book years ago. I have a feeling that was a bad decision.
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Shane Shane shane, Never never nerver get rid of a good book. I would suggest these two books, the first one however is out of print.

Uniforms and Equipment of the United States forces in the War of 1812
    By Rene Chartrand

Great book. There is lots of information on regulars and the militia. The sections on uniforms, equipment, and weapons are first rate. If you get the chance to pick up a copy get it.

Osprey Men-At-Arms #345
    The United states Army 1812-1815
    By James L. Kochan

Great text and plates. The company of Military Historians have a great site. They have a listing of the more than 800 uniform plates they've produced, many still available. They also have a quarterly journal and forum on their website. I'll poke around some books for some militia info.~Gary
  9. Shane Active Member

That's not the first time I've sold a book only to regret it later. You'd think I'd learn. The C of MH website is real cool. Judging from their plate of the Tennessee Militia, it looks as though the standard type of frontierman garb would be appropriate for Horsebend or New Orleans. Thanks for the suggestions.