1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Lets paint a flat figure with Oils

Discussion in 'Oils' started by Briank, Sep 6, 2023.

1. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom
    We are always being asked how we paint a flat figure, this is a quick guide to the basics that will get you started
    Will be using oil's but acrylics are just as good, I have chosen a easy /basic figure that is engraved both sides but we will only use one side to show how easy flats can be painted
    The figure is "Poppy" remembrance Sunday
    First clean the figure then mount to card, first photo, under coat with acrylic white leave for a few hours then your ready to start painting
    I will post more as I get on IMG_3988.JPG IMG_3989.JPG
  2. Rob A Fixture

Spain
    I look forward to seeing how this goes. Can you explain how you decide on where to put the light source if you are not following a recognised work of art, does the figure determine that or is it just personal preference.
    Oda likes this.
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Brian

This is spot on ..l have this so following with you ....very closely

Great idea to do this

Happy flat painting

Nap
  4. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom

Light is important, on round you have a "halo" light with flats you have to decide and stick with it , out side there's one light the Sun and this keeps moving, inside you can have multiple light. On this figure the light will come from top left just to make it simple but it could be from any direction! once you decide stay with that light and all will fall in place .
    Scotty, Rob and Nap like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Brian

I normally prime in a black do flat artists ever do so or is white better for this ?

Nap
  6. snik A Fixture

Greece
    I am interesting too!!! I have a flat figure and this post it will be very intrestiiiing!!!
    Nap likes this.
  7. Briggsy A Fixture

This will be interesting, long long time since I painted a flat, mind you I'll be really cross if I get hooked again!

Cheers Simon
    MacCoy, Briank, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  8. snik A Fixture

Greece
    Question! we primering both sides?
    Briank likes this.
  9. Rob A Fixture

Spain
    (y)
    This time you can play with acrylics!
    Briggsy likes this.
  10. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom

No only the side to be painted.
    Nap and snik like this.
  11. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Yes black and dark grey are used but mostly white as you only use thinned oil pant and the white allows the colour to "glow"
    Nap likes this.
  12. Briggsy A Fixture

First question I ever asked about flats was a pretty stupid one, I asked Jim Woodley and Dick Jenkins "how do you paint flats?". At the time the answer they gave me made me think they were taking the micky, "make the undercoat as white as possible", they said. Like Brian said, it shines through the paint, especially oils because they are essentially transparent. Don't know how it would affect acrylics but I guess we'll find out soon enough.

Cheers Simon
    Rob and Briank like this.
  13. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom
    As I said this is just the basics, most of the painting is with a 3/000 brush and a lot of the shade and hi-light is the same as your round figures
    Use burnt sienna to give shade to the face and hands, next a basic flesh colour being careful not to hide the sienna.
    Now a straight white to the top of the checks, nose chin and hands, the same as a round, and blend till you think you got it, then add burnt sienna again to the lower check and again blend till your happy, keep your colours wet and thin and you will get there and take your time as the face can make or break the figure.

IMG_3990.JPG IMG_3991.JPG IMG_3992.JPG IMG_3993.JPG
    MacCoy, gforceman, Nap and 3 others like this.
  14. Rob A Fixture

Spain
    Are you using white spirit or turpentine (or a mix) or something like Liquin to get the oils to flow?
  15. Briggsy A Fixture

I had all the patience in the world when I painted flats with oils, not so much now with acrylics. Doubt I could see things that small anymore.

Cheers Simon
    Briank and marco14 like this.
  16. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom

On this figure just white spirit but yes I usually have Liquin on the table ;)
  17. marco14 PlanetFigure Supporter

Belgium
    :LOL:

:LOL: hahaha LOL
  18. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Now I start block colouring, soldier get's a yellow ochre and black mix then black for the shading then black and green for the old guy.
    Just a word about shading and light, go dark as I said I used black for the soldier then use a very light colour for the hi-lights and again blend see photo but
    I will come back to this later with more light.
    The green has a dark brown, as I said go dark for the shadows then the light green for the lights green and white / green and yellow mix will do, again this will be worked again later

IMG_3995.JPG IMG_3997.JPG IMG_3998.JPG IMG_3999.JPG IMG_4002.JPG IMG_4003.JPG
    MacCoy, Nap, Rob and 2 others like this.
  19. Briggsy A Fixture

Very nice, I take it this is a 30mm flat?

Cheers Simon
  20. Briank Active Member

United-Kingdom
    No not 30mm but a bit bigger at 50mm
    Nap likes this.