1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Les Grognard 1/16 sculpt

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by stoffy01, Dec 5, 2016.

1. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Paul,
    I thank you, not sure if superb would be the word I'd use, especially with some of the amazing sculpting being posted on here.
    Thanks again
    Chris.
    anstontyke and peedee like this.
  2. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Steve,
    Thanks again, I'm really looking forward to using the pieces on upcoming projects, just thought I'd have a crack at making a head from scratch myself. The charleville looks superb and will give the sculpt some credibility if I can pull it off and that's what I'm also hoping I can do with the rest of the pieces I got from you.
    Cheers
    Chris.
    1969 and anstontyke like this.
  3. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Chris,

I can see some real progress happening now. The pose looks very natural and spot on to the drawing you're using as reference. Still a long way to go but you're definitely on the right track.
    anstontyke and stoffy01 like this.
  4. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks for looking back in, yep has been a bit of a muck around with different aspects of the build and like they say it's all about the preparation. Later it'll be all about what wver stahe I mabge to get to ;)
    Cheers
    Chris.
    anstontyke likes this.
  5. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    I'm thoroughly impressed Chris!! You've so far (for me) nailed the bearskin, the head & the pose - sheesh!

A question about the bearskin - is there an armature wire or similar running from the interior of the head to just a few millimeters of the top of the bearskin? In one of the photos, I can see aluminum foil packed inside the bearskin. In your text posts - don't see the armature mentioned, but unless you've experienced a problem, most people don't.

All the best,
    Dan
    stoffy01 likes this.
  6. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Dan,
    Thanks for your kind words. I guess I'm mindful that I'm probably going to be using predominantly greenstuff, so to compensate overusing it in areas that a just a filler I'm trying to come up with some cheap materials that will be ok for this.
    So firstly the wire armature with which we have quite a bit of from previous art classes my wife and I have taught. And decided to make use of foil as it can be easily manipulated and shaped as this was used as a horn shape to fill and use as a guide for the bearskin. It probably went around two thirds of the way up as I wanted a bit of room to play with in regards to height. Not sure if anyone knows the exact but I'm roughly working on aprox two heads high. And also have at this stage added more aluminum foil to the torso and then painted some Matt Mod Podge glue to keep it relatively together. And now I'm thinking of putting some air drying clay or das also to use as a filler before applying the final layer of greenstuff or milliput.
    By the way, I decided again to give the bearskin more height and thus covering over the first attempt of the grenade on top, so another crack at that. I've also decided that the front plate was to small and so made that larger resukting in covering half the eagle, so again back to the drawing board.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Cheers
    Chris.
  7. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Braver man than me, looks excellent.
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Chris ...looking in as much as I can ...looking good

How do you find using greenstuff ? ....I find it a little difficult or sticky ...do share your thoughts

That bearskin looks good with a bit more height

Keep at it

Nap
  9. ivopreda A Fixture

Italy
    the busby of the grenadiers, the drawing is completely wrong in shape

grenadier9.jpg grenadier11.jpg grenadier13.jpg grenadier17.jpg grenadier18.jpg grenadier19.jpg

Attached Files:

10. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Bob,
    I think more stupid not brave, I'm probably setting myself up for a fall :eek: , it'll be entertaining from the viewers end at least, thanks for looking in.
    Cheers
    Chris.
    anstontyke likes this.
  11. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I Nap,
    The advice from Dan regarding the hair cream and isopropyl was a step in the right direction for me, but I decided to use glycerin instead with the isopropyl. I'm actually thinking even more along the lines of say 80%-100% straight gylcerin as it really makes it easy to spread with almost no stickyness. I haven't been able to try this enough yet to say completely, but I think it'll be a situation where you could vary this depending on what your attempting to achieve ie smooth: more, rough: less. It doesn't seem to effect bonding but I still need to complete more to verify.
    Cheers
    Chris.
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  12. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi,
    I agree that the bearskin shape seems to contradict what we see in 95% of pictures. I feel that for me I like the way it's been illustrated in this one and some others by the artist. Also I think that in some way it could be a possibility that being on campaign where its handled alot, becomes sweaty, oily, wet, grabbed, folded, dropped, stood on could result in not looking like the beautifully kept ones we see on display and depicted by other artists. I have been toying with the idea of changing shape but there's something that's attracted me to this particular depiction of the Grumbler.
    Thanks for posting the pictures for reference, I'll be sure to using them.
    Regards
    Chris.
  13. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi,
    I've added some filler with some Das that I have used for groundwork. It's giving the opportunity to help with reference of shape as well. He's adept to some praymantis poses for his pursuit of finding inner calm through the constent rigors of the campaign.
    Chris.
  14. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Forgot to post this update :D [IMG]
    napoleonpeart and billyturnip like this.
  15. captfue Active Member

United-States
    Coming together really nice, should look great when it is done..
    stoffy01 likes this.
  16. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Thanks for your encouragement, I'm trying to keep on track with this.
    Cheers chris.
  17. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Here's a little update of the bearskin.[IMG]
    Regards
    Chris.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Chris

Cheers for the reply

Going to try the green stuff for detail work initially ...but painting now!

All credit to you for the work so far on the bearskin/head ..looking good ...great references from Ivo as well

Nap
    stoffy01 likes this.
  19. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    No problem Nap, I'm starting a two week break from work so will hopefully give me more time between doing this and having the kids tightening the screws o_O
    Chris.
    napoleonpeart likes this.
  20. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great project Chris. I really like these large scale figures.
    Gordon