1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Les Grognard 1/16 sculpt

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by stoffy01, Dec 5, 2016.

1. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hello PFer's,
    Thought I'd post a little practice of a figure I would like to make in 1/16th scale. So after taking some extremely useful advice (thanks again), I thought would apply that info with this attempt of a sculpt. I'm not sure where this will lead but am taking it as a learning curve for future projects. I'm using this picture as reference and possibly basing the sculpt of it gets that far on it. Thanks for dropping by to have a look and as always happy for any advice etc, tissues at the ready.
    Regards
    Chris.[IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG][IMG]
    Jaybo, Scotty, Grod and 7 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi there

I am no sculptor apart from bits and bobs but all credit to you for this ....it's going to be the full figure then ?

Nice texture on the bearskin and a good moustache as well

Following your progress with interest

Nap
    anstontyke and stoffy01 like this.
  3. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Nap,
    Thanks for the positive feedback, I would like to do the full figure as I've had a burning desire to do this since seeing the pocture and also the Bill Horan version in 54mm. Whether it comes into fruition is another thing I hope so. I feel like I'm getting my head around the sticky problems of greenstuff and have decided to use isopropyl and glycerin which seems to be ok to me. I'm able to somewhat use the cheap softer rubber tools but have also been using toothpicks coated in superglue an 18gauge needle, dental tools ans a set of stylus tools to get me by. I have the charleville's shipping over from Reedies so it will be up to me to do the rest.
    Cheers
    Chris.
  4. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Chris,

Have you tried other sculpting materials such as Sculpey? The results you're getting with the greenstuff are great. Keep at it mate.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Tony

Sure it's been asked before has Sculpy got any particular traits ?

What about beeswax ..have seen this on FB ..I think

Nap

PS Stoffy ..sorry about questions off your thread
  6. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Tony,
    Actually have been tempted to give the sculpey more of a crack maybe because you have to pop it in the oven etc has turned me off as well as having a large amount of screenstuff in the freezer and a little milliput as well. I do have some sculpey I bought from an art supplier on sale, and not being too knowledgeable about it but I believe it was on the way out and a little on the dry side so the little I have used wasn't a pleasant experience. Thanks for the kind words Tony.
    Regards
    Chris.
    anstontyke likes this.
  7. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    No worries Nap, that's what forums are for.
    napoleonpeart and anstontyke like this.
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Super sculpting! The final version of the head with the bearskin hat is excellent! Did you do all of that at one sitting?

I don't use Sculpey, so can't comment on it much. I've only ever tried the firm grey stuff. I did find that it all had to be about the same temperature to allow working it, adding additional bits, etc.

All the best,
    Dan
  9. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Dan,
    The answer to your question is no, it's been over a few days and weeks actually. I did a base skull of sorts in a mixture of milliput and GS a bit of a play around with the mixes a few weeks back. I made a couple of these in a rough 1/16th scale size. I then decided to build on this one a little more seriously a couple of weeks back with a bit more of the features around the eye's and cheeks. Then around a week ago I just started throwing it together and basically the bearskin when on over an afternoon. My problem is keeping the the momentum going.
    anstontyke likes this.
  10. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Have been making a little progress, basically playing around with armatures and adding to the bearskin. I'm liking the glycerin, I just hope their isn't anything yhat will effect it later such as when trying to prep to paint etc, but definitely makes it easy to work with. The armature is something we all know is important to get that realistic look, the right weight bearing so I'm being very careful, will post those shortly.
    Cheers
    Chris.[IMG]
    [IMG]
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Chris

Looking good mate , what are you using to texture ..I use a needle "borrowed" from SWMBO with bits of left over magic sculpt ( always seem to do too much ! ) as a handle

Looking forward to seeing tge eagle on that plate and very interested how you aporoach that .

KEEEeeeeeeeep sculpting

Nap
  12. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Thanks Nap,
    Yep a medical needle 18 gauge hollow which comes to a point on one side. Lovely and solid and the more I use it the more I'm feeling comfortable, have just added a little wooden handle (thick wooden skewer).
    [IMG]
    Regards,
    Chris.
  13. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Not having much luck with the armature this is the second gen one and the left leg snapped off at the hip so have positioned and puttied that into place and will let dry over night so I can try and get it closer to the pic.[IMG]
    Xhris.
    Jaybo, Dewi Evans, Huw63 and 2 others like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Chris

As I am still very much learning , I would be inclined to say the right leg is bent too much ..sure you will look at it once putty has dried

Nap
  15. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Just another update to the sculpt. I've got the position of the stance to somewhere I'm happy with, obviously not exactly the same but still realistically balanced and natural stance. I also did the grenade on top of the bear skin as well as the tassle on the front and gradually adding more bulk and size to the bearskin.
    Regards
    Chris.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    Dewi Evans, Huw63, anstontyke and 2 others like this.
  16. Elia Active Member

Greece
    I love how this is coming along, looking forward to seeing how it develops.

All the best,
    Elia :)
  17. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi Elia,
    Thanks for dropping by, I hope I can keep on track with this project as well.
    Cheers
    Chris.
    anstontyke likes this.
  18. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Just an update, added some more of the bearskin, and also started the front plate. [IMG]
    Cheers,
    Chris.
    Dewi Evans, anstontyke and 1969 like this.
  19. peedee A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superb

Paul
  20. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Coming along well Chris, well done for giving it a go, take your time and it will work out fine (y)

Cheers
    Steve
    Dewi Evans, anstontyke and stoffy01 like this.