1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Les Conseils de L'Ancien

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Nov 5, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This 120mm two figure vignette is based on a 1915 illustration by Georges Scott, a famous French illustrator of the period.

The vignette was just completed and is still wet in places, so watch your fingers! :)

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Veteran French soldier of the 17th Regiment – flesh tones of this soldier much darker and sunburned than recruit, beard brown or reddish brown streaked with grey, shaggy brown or reddish brown eyebrows
    M1914 kepi, medium grey, black leather bill and chin strap
    M1914 simplified greatcoat with one pocket, horizon blue, 17th regiment insignia in dark blue and yellow with blue stripes, dark blue 5-pointed star on left sleeve only. The greatcoat (and the star) show extensive wear and damage, very muddy.
    Brown woolen stock above collar of great coat
    Patterned home-made grey head scarf worn over ears, under hat and around neck
    M1886/93 Lebel rifle, three shot clip, bolt action, 8 mm caliber and distinctive thin triangular bayonet in holder
    M1892 haversack, greenish grey
    M1877 one liter water bottle, covered in light grey blue cloth
    M1914 trousers of pantalon-culotte style, loose in the thigh and tight from the knee down, reddish brown, torn and showing wear
    Puttees in khaki drab cloth, very muddy
    M1912 boots, brown, scuffed and worn, very muddy

Recruit French soldier of the 17th Regiment - dressed in similar fashion, no head scarf, no star on great coat, M1914 trousers in medium grey, M1877 water bottle in dark blue, putties grey, kepi horizon blue cover but otherwise same, all clothing fresh and newly issued.

The shallow trench is papier mache covered with pumice paste and lots of litter.

I may go back and stick a little pumice paste on the figures to make them muddier. Hope you like it! As always - comments and constructive critique very welcome!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Dan, looks very nice. You are very prolific, you sculpt faster than I paint.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. ;)
  3. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dear Roc,

Welll...uh...there isn't a lot else for a middle-aged fat guy to do in Omaha. :)

Thanks, I appreciate your encouragement, my friend!

All the best,
    Dan
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dan,

Congratulations. You did it again. Your sculpting skills are going with giant leaps. Every piece looks better then the one before. The surfaces are more smoothend etc.
    Good work my friend.

Marc
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan,
    I think this vignette turned out nicely. One thought, I sure with the "veterans" right hand could be resting on the younger boys shoulder. I think it shows more intimacy and contact for it to resting there. Who's gonna pint this one? Good stuff!

Jay H.
    OKC
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Dear Jay, I actually tried for the hand resting on the shoulder, but missed my aim...so to speak - TWICE! Problems with keeping the figures in exactly the same place each time. Short of cutting the arm off and re-doing it, I can't solve it. I think I'm going to start putting two pins in each figure. Kinda tired of having them move around on me! :angry: :(

Marc Megroot will be painting this one. I need to let it dry for about 2 days and then will ship it over the water. This will be his "second" for me and he's already excited about finishing it in time for AMSS. Good luck Marc! ;)

I have 4 or 5 cavalry figures lined up to do...Giddyup horsie!

All the best,
    Dan
  7. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    nicely posed I agree about the had on the shoulder it would link the two figures better,the only other comment I would make is that the right arm of the recruit doesn't look quite right, there needs to be more lateral creases on the inside of the elbow perhaps
  8. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Peter,

Many thanks! I took a look at both arms of the recruit and there's about the same number of folds on the inside and outside of both arms. So - Probably the photos?

When Marc does the final pose after painting, I'm sure he'll try to get them as close together as possible.

All the best,
    Dan
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, This has got to be your best to date, although at this rate it will probably be said of your next one as well. I like your attention to detail listing all of the equipment each figure has. As for that right arm. One way to approach it is to save that arm for last. I would have drilled out a hole and inserted copper or other flexible wire and cut it to the desired length. Now you would at least have to have points marked on the wire showing where the elbow and wrist would be. Bend the wire into position. Dependening on the position of the hand you could either drill into the shoulder or mark on the other figure where the hand will rest. The pose of the arm could then be firmed up with an initial layer of putty.~Gary
  10. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Learning all the time, Gary...thanks for the tip and I'll remember it next time! I'm sure I'll face an issue like that again! Glad you like it!

All the best,
    Dan
  11. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    A Really good work Dan!
    keep up
    christos
  12. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Christos!!

All the best,
    Dan