1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Les Conseils de L'Ancien

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Dan Morton, Oct 8, 2006.

1. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    This wartime illustration by Georges Scott was published first in the French newspaper L'Illustration on January 1915. If you aren't familiar with Scott, I recommend taking a look at his other works. On top of being a really good illustrator of wartime subjects, his work, for me at least, has some profound things to say about life. This illustration grabbed me and, as Roger De Boeck says, "got in my head". While on the one hand being pretty simple - a young recruit in his first stint under fire being given some tips by the old pro - on the other, it says something, again just speaking personally, about fatherhood, brotherhood, and comradeship.

[IMG]

OK on to the model.

This is rough WIP in 120mm scale. The figures are in MS in several colors. Please forgive the harlequin look; it helps me in the construction but doesn't look worth a darn at this stage. The trench is paper mache covered in pumice paste.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    The veteran private is about 95% complete. Although this figure is about average height for 1914, he is bending and turning slightly toward the youth and this distorts (in the photos) his stature. I will change both hands on this figure after the completed youth is positioned correctly in the trench. You may not be able to see it, but there is a non-regulation five pointed dark blue star on the left arm of his coat. The star indicates an infantry scout. M1914 kepi in blue grey with black leather bill and strap. M1914 simplified greatcoat in horizon blue - it is very worn and dirty. M1914 trousers of pantalon-culotte style but bloused a bit more than normal at the knee. Dark reddish brown or dark blue - actually could be several different colors. In the rush to change from pantalons-rouge ,there wasn't complete standardization. Puttees in drab grey or khaki. M1912 boots in brown or black. M1886/93 Lebel 8 mm 3 round bolt action rifles. For those with sharp eyes there are no bolts in the rifles yet and I haven't mounted a bayonet on the veteran's field equipment yet.

[IMG]
    The youth is just started. One of the first things I plan to do with him is make his cheeks rounder and fill his face out some. He will be dressed and equipped in much the same fashion but with newer-looking clothing. You may notice how short and small the recruit looks. This is intentional. I've followed the proportions chart carefully to make him about 5'3" tall. I'm going to try to make it look like his clothing is all too large for him.

These final shots should give you a very rough idea of the pose and scene.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Comments and constructive critique as always very welcome!

All the best,
    Dan
  2. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan,
    great stuff! Keep us posted. A nice "moment" to capture I think.

Jay H.
    OKC
  3. BHowe New Member

Dan,

Great idea for a vignette! I am looking forward to seeing your progress to the finished product.

Bob
  4. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Jay and Bob!

All the best,
    Dan
  5. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, Great idea for a vignette. The illustrators/artists of that time were at the top of their game in my opinion. There are barely a handful of folks today that could even come close to matching the types of compositions these guys were capable of creating.~Gary
  6. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gary - Many thanks. Let's hope I can do it justice!

I couldn't agree more with your comment about the illustrators of the period. They did things with pen and ink that could never be duplicated with a camera. For me there is more natural warmth and emotional tone in a pen and ink wash than any photographic image.

There are a few more classically well known painters of the period that got the same thing down on canvas. John Singer Sargent, IMHO, was the best, but there were others.

Say - where's that Great War figure you were going to do? :) Jus' teasin'. ;)

All the best,
    Dan
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    Good stuff Dan, keep it up mate.

Roger.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Amazing figures Dan.
    Really wanted to see when it comes together.

Marc
  9. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roger and Marc!

All the best,
    Dan
  10. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Dan, good work so far looking forward to seeing more.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc.
  11. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks, Roc! I appreciate the encouragement.

All the best,
    Dan
  12. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dan, Nothing wrong with a little friendly prodding. I still plan on doing a WW1 project or two, but im so far behind on stuff I don't know when I'll get to them.~Gary
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Gary - I really didn't intend to prod you exactly. Just kidding. But I do look forward to seeing the Great War project when you get time. Actually, I'm looking ahead also. When this is finished, I probably will start on one of the cavalry figures I've wanted to do for several months now. I think the one I'm going to start with is either the British 2nd Dragoons, Royal Scots Greys, 1914 or the Austrian Ulan, 1914. Neither one is in the pose in these illustrations.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    All the best,
    Dan
  14. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    My friend i think your sculpting improves a lot with every new figure, and you always have a nice new inspiration. Waiting to see the progress on this fine project . Keep safe
  15. Dani A. New Member

Hi Dan,

I have this illustration in the book "The Western Front Illustrated" and I always thought it would make a great figure vignette. I see we are in the same tune... :)

One think I have noticed is that many people tend to be attracted more to everyday scenes like this, scenes they can more easlily relate to, than to battle scenes.

Regarding the cavalry projects, have you thought of any of "The Fusilier" items? I know you usually work with 120 mm figs, but TF's are 80 mm, which you may find equally confortable to work with - and there are a couple of horses with all the required Universal Patern cavalry equipments, which would save you a lot of work.

Regards,

Dani
  16. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Costas and Dani! I appreciate the encouragement! Costas - One thing I've noticed with the last two figures is my fingers are starting to get a feel for making more attractive drapery folds. It's funny how some things really give me trouble sculpting until my motor skills just kick in and start doing their job - finally. Another thing I've noticed is you can't really think about what you're doing. It's like riding a bike, driving a car or playing music. If you're thinking about riding a bike, driving a car...etc., then you aren't doing it correctly. Anyways - glad you like the figure. I worked a little on the youth last night and hopefully I can finish him up nicely.

Dani - I'm familiar with the outstanding Fusilier line. Actually Steve Warrilow's figures were the first ones I started this hobby with...about 5 years ago. I started just assembling and painting them and that was fun for awhile, but, for me, the enjoyment is almost entirely the sculpting. Good suggestion about using Steve's horses and I may do that on others. Right now for the 5 cavalry projects I've already got five 120mm horses - Verlinden and Dragon. I've put together armatures for the five cavalrymen, gotten together all their weapons and gear, etc. The armatures have been "locked in" to some nice poses - not exactly action poses, but making the best use of the stationary horses. Looking forward to starting them... ;)

All the best,
    Dan
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good Dan. Folds and drapery are excellent
  18. Markus Well-Known Member

Germany
    Hello Dan,

great work !!! I like it very much !!!

Cheers,
    Markus

:) :) :)
  19. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Guy and Markus - Many thanks for the encouragement fellas!!

All the best,
    Dan
  20. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Good work Dan,interesting subject!
    christos