1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Leopard Skin-how To Paint It?

Discussion in 'Painting Techniques' started by mick, Nov 15, 2003.

1. mick New Member

The saddle cloth on my Hussar figure is a Leopard skin (with the head). Can anyone tell me how to paint a leopard skin? I have heard that the "spots" are more of a horse shoe shape rather than just a dot.
    Mick
  2. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Leopard spots are easy. The skin color of the leaopard goes from white at the edges to a very deep reddish ochre at the back. The spots themselves are almost burnt sienna rimmed with bands of black in either two or three segments. Here is an illustration:
  3. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Here is a picture of Alexander the Great who has a leopard skin on his horse that I painted:
  4. btavis Active Member

United-States
    The other side:
  5. mick New Member

Your a legend btavis. Thanks for the help. and so quick too (y)
    mick
  6. Edson Member

Mexico
    hello mick i will tell you how i painted the skin from the leopard on the Diana,

first, Acrilic white as primer, then i applied gold yellow from Andrea Color whit some of white, then a thinned coat of burnt sienna (the yellow and the burnt sienna just in the middle body and back) the lower body is still white, after that i blending the edges between the white area and the yellow and burnt sienna areas to obtain a gradation of colors, after a one day to let it dry, y draw the spots whit acrilic black very thinned star in the face and finish by the tail, trying to draw diferents kinds of spots.

i hope you can use something of that .

Cheers
    Ed (y)
  7. Edson Member

Mexico
    and other view , sorry, the pictures are the only ones, i have in this moment...
  8. mick New Member

cool. Thanks Ed (y)
    mick
  9. johnegert New Member

Hey, Mick Well, I guess this seems insanely obvious, but the first thing to do is find a photograph of some leopards, usually easy in the kids section of the library. I really got into this on my big Le Cimier Hussar. Though the spots appear random, they are not at all, and as with pinto horses, the whole pattern originates just in front of the rear legs, as does the color gradation. I wish I had a buck for every beautiful Napoleonic mounted figure screwed up by a poorly realised leopardskin shabraque. The problem, I think, is a standard one for us-- we look at other painter's work( including 2d artwork and illustration) for the wrong kind of inspiration when the "real thing" is readily available to us.
    john
  10. bosko b Member

this might help
  11. mick New Member

Great!! THanks Bosko b !!
    Mick
  12. quang Active Member

Belgium
    johnegert,

So obvious and yet so true. Why accept substitute when it's so easy nowadays (with the Internet) to get the real McCoy?

A little nit-picking just for the sake of it. There's often a confusion between LEOPARD and JAGUAR.

http://www.cathaven.com/education/leopard_or_jaguar.htm

A shabraque is obviously LEOPARD. Also note how small single spots on the extremities (head, legs, tail) develop into gradually larger 'rosettes'. Not as random as one may think.

Quang
  13. johnegert New Member

Great shot Bosko. Take a look at that point just in front of the back legs from which the pattern emerges almost like a gameboard, curving around the legs and moving up the sides. There are evolution-advantageous things going on all over, including the spot sizes being largest at the sides, the color changes from belly to back, the eye patterns on the face, etc. Then the trick is to imagine this all opened up like those interesting world map projections. Even the wonderfully painted MM Hussar Col., which I gather is Simon's subject, leaves room for improvment in this area. A figure within a figure......
    john