1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Leopard print help.

Discussion in 'Just starting...' started by Plastik Smurff, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Plastik Smurff New Member

Going to be cheeky and ask for help already. Can anyone offer some advice on how to paint this pattern ?

5c234bf481b1ee6010ff28033d7c6951.jpg

I had a crack at it and it looked horrid. I thought it would be rather straight foward but nope...:yuck:
    Thank you in advance

Kurt.
    theBaron likes this.
  2. stoffy01 PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Hi and welcome to PF. I would first look at it in a way like problem solving which creating something tends to be. Firstly look at it and see what colours and how many. Then look at what colour is the background and what is in the spots. Then you would look at the spots and see what would be the first colour and shape of the spots and the then the other lighter tones to go on top of that. It's really just looking at the pattern and imagining it differently breaking it down into colour pattern and order of applying it, good luck!
    Regards
    Chris.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Oda, Plastik Smurff and napoleonpeart like this.
  3. Bob Orr Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi I would start with the pale colour overall. Then space out the pattern with the golden brown dots, then apply the darker spots around the golden colour. If you have a small, well used brush that is no longer holding a point then you can trim the end square and use this in a stippling motion to apply the dots.

Cheers, Bob
  4. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    have done a similair pattern on a saddle cloth.
    Start with (oilcolors is my medium) ochre and highlight it with napels yellow. Shade with raw umber.
    After that is dray you paint the three dots in burnt umber.
    Fill in with a highlight burnt sienna color. (if I can remember it whas burnt sienna with naples yellow)
    Nothing more, nothing less, ohhhhh yes.......alot of patience.

Marc
    Scotty, Oda, Mirofsoft and 1 other person like this.
  5. Fantomas A Fixture

Canada
    arj, Oda, Mirofsoft and 1 other person like this.
  6. Plastik Smurff New Member

Thank you all, everyone has supplied info I can use. The stippling style sounds like a great way to replicate the hair effect and gently build up color as when I painted the pattern in it looked to cartoonish.
    Thanks again.

Kurt.
  7. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    But I have to say, that's not too bad, what you have showing there, so don't be too hard on yourself.

Prost!
    Brad
    Plastik Smurff likes this.
  8. Oda A Fixture

I second Chris,it's really all about breaking it down to basic steps.As for the colours,it really comes down to many hours of focused observation of nature and everything around you.It is a time honoured method used by all artists in all times.The foundamental advantage of such technique is that you really don't have to memorize "receipes" and "how to's"but through carefull observation,trial and error you try to immitate nature and the way light "plays" with and "bathes" literally everything around you.It is time consuming and potentially frustrating but so is art and creation most of the times but guess what,once you get the"bug" you cannot really help it....and finally, be just when you judge yourself not hard.

Oda.
    napoleonpeart and Plastik Smurff like this.
  9. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Kurt,

The leopard skin pattern is very similar to a camouflage pattern. It's made up of a series of colours and shapes that form in layers. The key is to understand the sequence in which these layers are created and then "reverse engineer" the pattern by starting with the base colour and then adding successive layers.

Creating the look of hair or fur can be achieved through a combination of stippling and painting a series of small lines to soften the lines between two colours.
    Plastik Smurff and Oda like this.
  10. Tommy Brown Active Member

Here is an article by Alex Castro on painting leopard skin on the saddle of LeCimier 180mm mounted Officer Chasseur A. Cheval, Imperial Guard.

Just scroll down to the third article.
    http://www.airbrushtalk.com/abtv7n4.htm
    Plastik Smurff likes this.
  11. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well it wouldn't be Brad....because it's the real thing :rolleyes::whistle::LOL:
    Gellso, peedee, theBaron and 2 others like this.
  12. theBaron A Fixture

United-States
    Oh, duh! I took that for his painted piece :LOL:
    Gellso and peedee like this.
  13. kagemusha A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Oooopsie :D:LOL::ROFLMAO::hilarious:
    peedee and theBaron like this.
  14. Plastik Smurff New Member

Sorry I should have made that a little clearer :D If I had painted that I would be a happy camper :happy:
    peedee, Gellso and theBaron like this.