1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Legolas, 1:30 Scratchbuild

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by MinasTirithGuard, Feb 3, 2005.

1. MinasTirithGuard New Member

Hi guys! I'm pretty much new to the forum, I just turned 16. I love scratchbuilding figures, Lord of the Rings and making movies. If anybody here went to the MMSI show I'm a member there and I did the Fellowship of the Ring shadowbox. I'll try to post some of my other work when I get the photos downloaded.

Here's a figure that I made for a friend, I was kinda working on a deadline so the painting's not my best, I had 4 days. Right now I have the figure back so I'm bringing it up to a higher standard. The figure depicts legolas at Amon Hen from the Fellowship of the Ring, it started out as a 1:30 scale figure, but ended up being about 1cm taller (hey, LotR Elves are supposed to be taller, right? ;) ) The figure is a Magic Sculpt armature with Apoxie Sculpt over it. The bowstring is a strand of hair.

I know the figure has some anatomical "issues" it was originally going to be scrapped but I ended up just finishing it for fun not being the super-perfectionist I usually am. The results... up to you to decide. Comments/crits welcome.

http://photobucket.com/albums/v468/MinasTi...Legolas%201-30/
  2. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Ethan, your work shows a lot of promise. Work out those anatomical issues and you'll be among the best. The face is where I would recommend you concentrate. The rest is really pretty good. The only other glaring thing I see is when drawing a bow the arm holding the bow will be quite stiff. Keep it up, you're doing good things.
  3. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Promising indeed! keep us posted with new projects :)
  4. MinasTirithGuard New Member

Thanks a lot guys.

@ John- Recently I've taken profile shots of friends to model heads on, I'm doing a few 1" busts from Super Sculpey to try to get the features right. Also in a few weeks I'm going to be taking a portrait sketching class at the Art Institute of Chicago, so hopefully that'll help.

@Gordy- By the way thanks for letting me set this up, if you remember I thought my request for a VBench might get sent through a computer... ah the shame and embarassment. No hard feelings I hope :)

Thanks again guys, I have a few more detailed WIP projects so I'll get them up soon.
  5. Roy New Member

United-Kingdom
    Hey Ethan, that's a great set of pictures....I would be extremely proud if my oldest boy (currently just eight) would be as enthusiastic about sculpting when he reaches your age...he shows great interest in painting small scale figures at present.

To get such a credible result in such a short time is exceptional.

You are aware of the anatomical issues and know for the most part, exactly where you can improve and that's a big step to improving your next piece...so keep sculpting, keep posting and keep up that enthusiasm..

All the best (y) (y)

Roy.
  6. JCOX Active Member

United-States
    Ethan,

Great start! Excellence will come in time and takes a lot of hard work - harder for some (like myself) than others - but it will come if you're persistant. Again, that's a GREAT start. Enjoy the journey!

-jim cox
  7. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Ethan, Fine work for one so young, it's refreshing to see. Just keep plugging away, you'll see improvements with every piece.~Gary
  8. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    (y) (y) Ethan ! Keep up the good work there.
    Kenneth.