1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Legion Miniatures presents Elizabeth ( ATS Uniform )

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Oct 10, 2019.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi

Legion Miniatures are a well known and respected company with varied releases the one we will look at is certainly that depicting the now HM The Queen while serving during WW2 in the ATS

The release was announce a while ago by Andrey from Legion Miniatures
    here:

https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/legion-miniatures-news.158274/

In 1942, at age 16, Elizabeth registered with the Labour Exchange –the British employment agency at the time – and was extremely keen to join a division of the women’s armed forces. Her father was reluctant to let her do so, but eventually relented. Once in the Auxiliary Territorial Service, Elizabeth learned how to change a wheel, deconstruct and rebuild engines, and drive ambulances and other vehicles including .... the Austin K2 ambulance and a "Tilly" light truck

Joining the ATS as an honorary Second Subaltern, Elizabeth achieved the rank of honorary Junior Commander within five months

Unlike the other members of the ATS, Elizabeth returned each night to sleep in the royal residence of Windsor Castle.

In March 1945, a truck mechanic (No. 230873) in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service, based at the Mechanical Transport Training Section, Camberley, Surrey, received a visit from her parents and her sister. Her parents just happened to be King George VI and the Queen, and her sister was Princess Margaret.

That truck mechanic was Princess – later Queen – Elizabeth Alexandra Mary

qq.jpg

Lets have some more pictures of her in the ATS including details of the medal ribbons and other references

qqqq.jpg
    AQQ.jpg AQ.jpg QA.jpg QAA.jpg
    qqqqq.jpg
    The ribbons worn in the pictures

The Defence Medal and the War Medal 39-45

qqqqqqq.jpg

ATS Cap badge

a.jpg aa.jpg

Normal collar badges for other ranks but as seen in the pictures the princess wears smaller versions of the cap badge
    aaa.jpg

QAAA1A.jpg
    QAAA1.jpg

a.jpg

The actual uniform when she was colonel Commandant

QAAAA.jpg QAAAAA.jpg

As you might realise the princess was very keen to serve and was indeed not shy of getting her hands dirty ...as she has continued to do so throughout her reign she leads by example

Here we have some books you might find interesting
    A.jpg AAAA.jpg AAA.jpg

AA.jpg

Continued in next post

Nap
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Lets look at the resin

Details of the release :

Title: Elizabeth Alexandra Mary

Reference: LMBT-078

Scale: 1/10th

No of pieces: 2

Material: Medium Gray resin

Sculptor: A. Bodunov

Casting: In house

Box Art: N/A

Received in a good laser cut wooden box with tinted pink sticky labelled pictures of the subject

WW2 Queen by Legion 001.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 002.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 003.jpg

Just 2 parts on the piece the full torso and the left arm

WW2 Queen by Legion 004.jpg

Prep

With just the 2 parts we have little to do :

Torso: Casting post from underneath , slight casting line on left side on hairline....very fine and will be easy to remove with a sharp blade and sanding pad

Arm: Remove casting post from top of arm and fit to torso and hand and remove the cast on cheveron on the left arm ( no reason why this should be there )

Torso

The scale is 1/10th , personally I feel its a small 1/10th possibly closer to 1/12th

This is the full piece , cut just above the jacket lower edge , the pose is of her with her left hand in the waist with the right arm straight down, it being cut in line with the lower edge

The sculptor has got her proportions accurately

The resin is air bubble free with a very smoothly cast surface , the uniform style itself is very carefully done from the big lower pockets to those on the upper .

Pockets undercuts are good with all the buttons well rounded ( these would have the ATS lettering on )

At the waist the cloth belt has some good surface work with the end being held in place leading to her hand

The hand itself is well done and I like the idea of it being cast on in this case making the position spot on , the fingers are a good shaping with finger nails defined well

The folds and creases in all areas are natural and softly done

Above the upper left pocket we have 2 medal ribbons ...I will probably slightly enlarge them ...purely a personal thing !!!

The uniform is lapelled the edging being sharply sculpted , on either side we have some great and small ATS badges

Wearing under the uniform a collar and a tie again both look good

On the epaulettes on each side there is a single rank "pip"

Now to the face ....very difficult to get a likeness especially of someone so well known ...but I reckon its good , nice work on the features

The hair is styled as seen in the references and is well presented and styled

The cap she wears is very good with the shaping and details well done , at the front we see the cap badge ...very easy to see the details

Looking at the piece I think it could easily be converted to when she was the Commandant of the ATS by a few simple additions ...now there's an idea !!

WW2 Queen by Legion 005.jpg
    WW2 Queen by Legion 008.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 007.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 006.jpg
    WW2 Queen by Legion 015.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 012.jpg
    WW2 Queen by Legion 009.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 010.jpg
    WW2 Queen by Legion 011.jpg
    WW2 Queen by Legion 014.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 013.jpg

Arm

Bent at the elbow with good folds , the cuff has the distinctive pointed cuff with nice edging work , as I said previously remove that cheveron (??)

WW2 Queen by Legion 018.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 017.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 016.jpg WW2 Queen by Legion 019.jpg

Final thoughts

I like the subject choice , perhaps a little limited in appeal but aside from that cheveron a good sculpt and will paint up well , A nice addition to the Legion catalogue and a wonderful tribute to a dedicated woman .
    Recommended

Lets have a couple of pictures from the website now:

[IMG]
    [IMG]

Legion are members here ( user ID Andrey ) [IMG] )

....so you can order direct from him here or via the website which is:

www.legionminiatures.org

Email: Legionminiatures@yandex.ru

They also have a FB page:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/214757915731528/

Thanks to Legion for the review item and to you all for looking in(y)

Enjoy the benchtime

Nap
    Mike S., Edorta, DaddyO and 2 others like this.
  3. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Superbly sculpted half figure. I would prefer her to have a right hand and longer skirt, a full figure would be even better.

Mike
    Mike S. likes this.
  4. grenadier Member

United-Kingdom
    A very attractive half figure.
    I would be tempted to paint it as a generic ATS subaltern.
    I’m sure that the two ribbons would represent the George V jubilee and the George VI coronation medals.
    You can see in the pics, if painting the figure as her Majesty, that is.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Could easily be a generic Officer as you said

Certainly possible I included the ribbons to show her war service

For information the pictures of the Queens Brigadier uniform has these ribbon on it......including Royal Order of Victoria and Albert; King George V Silver Jubilee Medal 1935; King George VI Coronation Medal 1937 and the British War Medal 1939-1945.

A good point Mike ...wouldn't take much to sort that , thinking of it HM wearing leather gloves as well woukd be nice

Tempted to get the putty out and add a couple of things...no legs though ...LOL

Thanks for looking in and commenting

Nap

Would like to see a bust of theses....it's a medal thing !!!!
    image.jpeg image.jpeg
  6. prhayes68 Active Member

United-States
    David Grieve did a 120mm mounted figure of Her Majesty as Colonel-in-Chief of the Grenadiers about 25 years ago. I believe Gra at CGS has the masters now. You just need to get him to produce that and then you can saw Her Majesty in half to produce a bust (as long as that's not treason). :)

Pete
    CGS military figures and Nap like this.
  7. MrBMB A Fixture

Nap
    You always find great pics, sometimes your pics/research lures me in to buying a figure
    Nap likes this.
  8. Thanks Pete, yes I do have HMQ, she is actually 150mm but scales well with the others of David as he admits his 100mm did grow, something we all do sculpting. I am saving release of the piece for the future :)
    Nap likes this.
  9. Nice piece may I add and SUPERB pictures, I didn't mind swearing allegiance to that lady.
    Nap likes this.
  10. Romariogendalf A Fixture

Greece