1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Legends of Sherwood

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Babelfish, Jul 1, 2023.

1. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    IMG_2069x.JPG Tree x.JPG

Not posted anything on here in a while so just thought I'd share this WIP in 75mm.

The original plan had been a more ambitious 4-figure vignette also including a Maid Marion and a Friar Tuck, but in the end I decided to scale it back to just 2 - basically so that I'd be able to get it all finished more quickly (I'm not the world's fastest painter).

Still plenty to do on the figures, but fairly pleased with progress thus far (the crappy photo doesn't flatter them). Oils over acrylics still drying, so still a tad shiny.

Robin Hood is from Mercury Models (bought when figures from Russian companies were still easy to get hold of), Little John is a Latorre piece from a few years ago and is now OOP. Base courtesy of Richard at Oakwood Studios.

The groundwork will be a project in itself. Will be building it up to two levels to add interest, with a tree (a piece of shrub root from the back garden) at back left plus plenty of ground scatter & vegetation to give the thing a "Sherwoody" feel. Might squeeze a small animal and/or bird in there as well somewhere. The kit-supplied figure bases will be incorporated into the groundwork (I often do this).

- Steve
    Scotty, húsar14, Briggsy and 16 others like this.
  2. Larsen E. Whipsnade Moderator

United-States
    Looking good, Steve. And I really like the way you're planning to do the groundwork. Can't wait to see it finished.
    Rick
    Babelfish likes this.
  3. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Steve, that's a large chunk of wood for the base. Following.
    Babelfish likes this.
  4. arj A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Very interesting looking project Steve.
    Looking forward to seeing it develop.
    Ditto!! .... I'm as slow as the proverbial snail.

Cheers,
    Andrew
    Babelfish likes this.
  5. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    This looks interesting Steve and a very nice start and composition. Hope you can bring it up the club mate.

Gary
    Babelfish likes this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Steve

Good to see what's on the bench , the figures work well together , have you tried them reversed ?

Nice base from Richard , this will compliment any ground work you do

Nothing wrong painter slow just enjoy

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Babelfish likes this.
  7. MalcC A Fixture

England
    Nice start, the groundwork will set it off nicely.

Malc
    Babelfish likes this.
  8. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I will mate. I'm "in the zone" with it right now, so hopefully I might be a bit further along with it by then as well.

- Steve
    Mike Stevens and Nap like this.
  9. TERRYSOMME1916 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looking good and the WIP picture has certainly caught me interest so looking forward to seeing the finish item, but no pressure from me as I am also mega slow.
    TERRY
    Mike Stevens, Oda and Babelfish like this.
  10. Vital Active Member

Russian-Federation
    "О смелом парне будет речь - он звался Робин Гуд...":singing:;)
    Oda likes this.
  11. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    nice start...
    Babelfish likes this.
  12. Oda A Fixture

Looks very good to me even at this stage.Following with anticipation.

Oda.
    Babelfish likes this.
  13. NigelR A Fixture

Looking very good, very interested to see how you do the groundwork.
    Oda and Babelfish like this.
  14. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for all the comments fellas. All very positive and encouraging to help keep me focussed, and since my initial post I've done a bit more work on Sir Robin of Hood to move him further along.

I'm not turning this into an SBS but will post a further update soon. I'm hoping to start building up some groundwork foundations at the weekend but I won't be fixing the figure bases permanently into place and blending them into the terrain until the figures are almost finished, as they come in handy for handing the figures during the painting process.

- Steve
    Nap and Oda like this.
  15. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Life got in the way of modelling, but have now managed to progress a bit with this.

More work done on the figures and starting to build up the foundations for the groundwork.

Sherwood 1.JPG Sherwood 4.JPG Sherwood 3.JPG Sherwood 2.JPG

- Steve
    NigelR, sd0324, captnenglish and 8 others like this.
  16. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Me too! Definitely following this thread.
    Babelfish likes this.
  17. Nap Moderator

England

Me too good to see you back at the bench

Figures look good

Interesting to see see the groundwork progress

Following with interest

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Babelfish likes this.
  18. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Progressing again with this vignette. I'm calling the figures done now (apart from the very fragile feather in Robin's cap and the arrow in his bow, which I'm leaving right until the very end, and a couple of minor touch-ups). And having built up and "landscaped" the groundwork since my last update I've now made a tentative start on painting it.

Robin turned out to be a rather tricky paint, and eventually he became a chore rather than a pleasure. This didn't look quite right ... that didn't look quite right ... you know how it goes! Especially on the leather "armour", the sculpting of which I don't think is the best in some places (soft detail). So I was glad to reach a point where I finally felt able to call Time on him. I got there in the end though, and he looks better "in the resin" than on these mediocore phone photos - but it'll be a while before I do another archer figure with drawn bowstring!

I'm not the fastest of painters and I've got a couple of other things on the go as well. But the target is to finish the whole thing by Xmas.

Sherwood (7).JPG Sherwood (9).JPG Sherwood (10)x.JPG Sherwood (11)x.JPG Sherwood (12).JPG Sherwood (14).JPG

- Steve
    NigelR, KenBoyle, Redcap and 7 others like this.
  19. NigelR A Fixture

Nice progress, the figures look great and the groundwork looks very promising.

I know we all encounter those slow periods when the figures seem to be fighting back, I'm glad you saw it through as this looks like a very effective vignette.
  20. Briggsy A Fixture

Great looking vignette, the figures are very nice indeed and the ground work looks epic, looking forward to seeing the added flora.

Cheers Simon