1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Legend Bust, WW2 Para

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DaveCox, Aug 30, 2006.

1. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    My latest work, as usual in oils over acrylics. The shine is down to the lighting, as the figure is actually matt finished.

Attached Files:

2. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Another view

Attached Files:

3. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    And another

Attached Files:

4. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Last but not least

Attached Files:

5. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Beautifull work Dave.Nice to see fellow oil painters around.Do you use some come of varnish to get the matt resultor just high temrature?
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dave,

Looks really good. But i'm an oilpainter to, and i see some mistakes in your painting.
    You use to much paint. Use less paint, and when dry paint again, and again. Try not to cover in one time. Then you see the stripes you have.
    The camo is real good.
    I cannot say it enough: not to much paint, but better is painting in two maybe three times.

marc
  7. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments guys. I get the matt finish by drying the paint under a 60w spotlight. As I thin it well with white spirit, it usually dries fairly matt.
    Marc - I thought I'd got the paint well thinned this time - too much paint is a common failing of mine!
  8. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave,
    over all a good effort for sure. I think you improve with every piece.

I would agree that maybe you used a bit more paint than necessary in some spots. I think maybe just slow down and give it multiple coats if necessary. One of my biggest issues is wanting to get right in there and be done. What I find myself doing is trying to cover up areas with more and more paint to get there sooner. Heck I want to see the end result! What I have made myself do, is paint a coat, especially if it is a color that is not as opaque, I step away, let it dry and go over it again if I need to. This way I can control the medium better and in the end the layering serves to emphasize the highlight and shadow that much more. Keep up the good work, it all comes with practice, and you are certainly doing that!

Jay H.
    OKC
  9. Angaliel A Fixture

France
    Hi Dave,

I also paint with oil, and I have to agree with my friends.
    If you like to use lots of oils paint, dont use acrylic colors. Do like me, paint over humbrol undercoat.
    But if you use acrylic as color base, thern you "must" have really thin oil paint....

I agree it's not easy......

JP
  10. petit belge New Member

Belgium
    To dry oilpaint pretty fast: mix it with 'Liquin' from Winsor & Newton. It drys shiny, so I use matt picture varnish for oilpaintings. Some oilpaints need weeks to dry (like cadmium), so this is a good solution. You can use Liquin also as a varnish. If you by it, its colourless, but after a while it besoms brown, no problem, this doen't effect the colours of the paint.
  11. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Good work Dave!
    keep up
    christos
  12. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks for the comments guys. I haven't been too pleased with some of my more recent work, but I feel that this one is back on the road to improvement - mostly thanks to the help I get online.
  13. jimias A Fixture

Greece
    Dave I paint like you,Oils over Acrylics and though i couldn t agree more about giving oils their time, I don t use a heavily thinned oil paint.An empiric guidline (for me at least) is to get a consistency in you paint much like as the Humbrol Enamels have.Liquid-Creamy enough but not milk-like.
  14. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I too paint in oils and use daler-rowney low oder thinners as my painting medium (and to clean my brushes) all colours dry matt without the application of heat although some reds and blues take some time
  15. petermh Active Member

United-Kingdom
    correction should read low odour thinners