1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Le Tambour De "la Marseillaise"

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Andrew Craft, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Well after a few colour changes he is finished. Thank you for all the feedback on the WIP. I did the best I could on the clothing on this one I usually lose interest after the skin tones but I tried to stick with it. The jacket turned out looking like leather it wasn't meant to be leather just normal cloth.
    All painted in acrylics.
    Please let me know if anything is historically incorrect so I can change it.
    Thanks for looking and please feel free to critique honestly so I can learn.

Andrew.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350292022.999798.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350292049.119898.jpg ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350292064.422909.jpg
    Mike S., Kisifer, Steve and 7 others like this.
  2. Johan Kees Active Member

Belgium
    Andrew

First of all, the skintones are very good. These give the face a real 'human' appearance. I am not to sure about the hat though. At least on the photos, to me it looks as if the hat is still only in its black primer. Especially the lace surrounding the rim looks as being unpainted.

I would not worry too much about the leathery look of the jacket. Who is to say that this would not have been possible.

J;)han
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    He looks great. Very tired. Awesome work.
    Only one remark: I think the cockade must be painted like this: 220px-The_french_tricolor_cockade_svg.png
  4. Joe55 A Fixture

United-States
    I tend to agree with Johan regarding the hat. It appears like there is a different material along the edges of the hat. Perhaps touch this up with a slight gloss to accentuate it and make it look silky or velvety. This is just a thought though, I'm no authority on clothing of this period. Beautifully done Andrew (y)!!
  5. Mike Stevens PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Nicely done Andrew.
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Sorry Marc, you are wrong!

Your variant shows the tricolore cockade, as it has been standardized throughout the empire.

During the French revolution, a plethora of different types were worn - here are some examples ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Here the painted version by Andrew...:

[IMG]

The colors of the tricolore were the white of the French kings (= Bourbons) and the colors of the city of Paris, blue and red.

So the - by the way very, very good - painting is absolutely right.

Cheers
  7. Ron Tamburrini A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I think the hat is fine Andrew maybe a little brownish dust weathering but it is felt and you can see the difference on the lace ,is the jacket leather or cloth on your paint up.

Very quick from start to finish ,Nice one !

ron
  8. Edorta A Fixture

Spain
  9. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Great work Andrew.....Face is awesome...........Wayne
  10. Ferris A Fixture

Excellent job!
    The face is very realistic when you zoom the picture. The eyes and stubble are perfect and the skintones subtle, very suitable to the scale.
    i wouldn't fiddle with the hat anymore. To me it looks like felt, with some cloth liner, and the subtlety of the paint job is very consistent throughout the whole figure.

Adrian
    crf likes this.
  11. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Excellent skintone & eyes (y)

Try not to loose interest after the face painting :unsure: if that is the case then paint it as the last item :ROFLMAO:

Joking apart, the impetus an excellently painted face (like yours) gives for the rest of the figure, should be second to none & not the other way round :cry:

Having said that, honestly you did a good job with the rest of the figure & you should leave as it is & move on to the next one......maybe you can re visit this one, if the muse arises, at a later day who knows :confused:
  12. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks everyone for taking the time to comment.
    Martin you are correct that is the same picture I used for reference.

Ron, the jacket was meant to be cloth not leather I had a bad choice in shades of brown and it ended up looking more like leather I think. But I don't mind how it looks, it may not be too historically accurate though.

As for the hat the colours got quite distorted with the lighting I used for the photo I was trying to get the lighting focused in the face, here is a shot of the hat lit from another angle. I tried to use a brownish base for the black.

Thanks again guys,

Andrew.
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1350379885.709596.jpg
  13. Tecumsea PlanetFigure Supporter

England
    Very nicely done Andrew, your painting is improving with every piece, really like the way you have handled the hair and flesh tones on this piece.

Keith
  14. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    I like what you've done with it Andrew.
    Carl.(y)
  15. Helm A Fixture

England
    Looks great to me Andrew especially the second pics of the hat

Steve
  16. Carlos69 Well-Known Member

England
    Very subtle but really nice work Andrew (y)
  17. Andrew Craft Well-Known Member

Australia
    Thanks guys for all the comments.
  18. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    A very nice job andrew,i like the way you handled the lighter hair colouring and judging from the photos the hat does look to have some wear on it,i would'nt concern yourself with the cockade,as martin has already pointed out they're were different syles of cockade being worn at the time of the revolution,i also like the job you did on the neck scarve,i have taken some inspiration from your photographs as i'm about to start painting this piece,congratulations on a great job (y)

Brian
  19. MarquisMini A Fixture

Argentina
    Marc, during the revolution they wore many many variations on the cockade , the one painted here is one of the most used probably until the consulate period.
  20. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    Very good work Andrew nice and subtle, hope to have my copy of this bust soon.

Cheers David