1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Le Capitaine

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by blabsy, Nov 7, 2006.

1. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    [IMG]
    Hi Guys,heres my first posting on vbench I have more pic's to post when I get the hang of it.

Best Regards

Paul.
  2. MattS Active Member

United-States
    Paul,

Looking forward to seeing more pics. I love this kit. Oils or acrylics?
  3. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    [IMG]
    Hi Matt,I paint in all three,the face, colback and colback bag is Humbrol,boots are oil's,and the rest is acrylic.
    I've started to give acrylic's another go,3rd time lucky??
    I love Humbrols!!!

Paul. ;)
  4. Bart Member

Belgium
    Hi Paul,

very nice job on this fellow. I am looking forward to seeing him finished.

Keep up the good work

Best wishes

Bart
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    so far so good, looking forward to seeing more.

Keep up the good work.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  6. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Paul so far so good mate. I'll watch this with keen interest as I do really like this piece - it seems a bit pricey....let me know if it's worth it or not! ;)
  7. ghamilt1 A Fixture

Canada
    I like the progress so far! I have this figure from a few years back and after seeing your work so far, I was thinking of stripping it and starting over.

Has anyone ever tried stripping paint off a figure and re-doing it, especially after a few years? What would you use? I have some Lacquer thinner, but would that damage the metal underneath the paint?
  8. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hey thanks guys!
    progress is always slow with me,
    the figure is a nice,but as castings go its not that great,I was not best pleased with it when I got it home....
    I have more Andreas to paint,as well as this I'm painting the Officer of the Polish Lancers bust,and that's a poor casting too!
    If you check out my web-site,I've done a fair amount of work for David Grieve in the past and tend to have him as a yard stick on castings.
    As for striping figures I use good old paint stripper,as it goes I had to strip this figure and start again.

Best Regards
    Paul. :)
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Paul,
    You did a great start on this figure. In my first years i stripped also figures. I gave up stripping and try to make the best out of it. And i must say mostly it goes well.

Marc
  10. itifonhom New Member

Germany
    Looking very good so far. Which figure is this? Is it Andrea? Which scale? Please keep posting the process........

Anastasios.
  11. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Anastasie this is Andrea 90mm. Its a fairly impressive figure if its painted good though Andrea's castings is not the best possible,and its a clear pitty for these nice figures.
  12. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Great work so far,keep us posted!
    christos
  13. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    [IMG]

Hi again,
    thanks for your kind comments,I just thought I'd a decent face shot,as I said before I painted it in Humbrols,I would normaly use oil's for my face's.
    I have noticed the pic quality is not all that,not too sure if thats me or my uploading??

Best Regards

Paul.
  14. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi, Paul,
    Good painting, you have chosen a colour rather difficult, the 3rd regiment had the famous "gris argentin" not easy to paint.
    I would ask to the Andrea's sculptor why he put the bag just over the tassels, for me it's a choise not good, not nice to see; the bag could really fall on the other side, or on the back. He could put also the bag placed into the centre of the colback, leaving the tassels free...I don't understand.
    Regards
    MdM
  15. kevin Active Member

England
    hello paul

Nice to see your painting again :) after the hard work you did at your open day.
    The figure looks good mate, but your photographic skills lack something :lol:

keep up the good work

kevin
  16. blabsy PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Hi guys,
    thanks for the complements,I fear my photo's are not realy up to scratch,I'm using a Sony digital camera on macro 3 meg it will go to 5 meg,unless it's my shaky hands???

Kev, I hope all that attended the show enjoyed it,Gary Norris worked dam hard all day,getting the judging sorted was a head ache,but rewarding.

Good to paint again after too long a rest from it all...... :(

Best Regards

Paul. ;)
  17. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wonderful painting Paul! Could I help a little with the camera?

1. Set it to 5 definitely. Use as much resolution as possible.
    2. Work with your interior lighting. It's just way too dark. I suggest not lighting the piece directly. Instead find a light colored matt wall and bounce the light off from above and right or left of the figure. That should give you diffuse reflected light.
    3. If you don't have a tripod, sorry, invest in one. My hands shake too! It's the only way. Then you can play with longer exposures and get good resolution.

Apparently you already have Photoshop or something like it. You can adjust clarity or focus a little more with most of them. Then check out what you can do to control colors. Photos don't always show the correct colors so you may need to adjust.

Some figure folks regard the photography as drudgery and resist playing with the tools. You gotta play a little. Nothing beats experience. I'm certainly not a good photographer but I can limp along and produce a passible product most of the time. We're all learning here. Hope this helps! :)

All the best,
    Dan
  18. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi Paul,
    I see on Andrea site that the sabretache was made without any reference of number, a little slyness to leave everyone to paint it of whatever regiment. Then, you can forget the suggestion I gave in my mail, although it's not true that sabretaches were identical for all regiments. Really the drawing was not established by regulations, so every regiment put a typical drawing, changing sometimes along the years. As I said many times, officers had to buy wearing, arms, and garments at their own cost, then some officers, especially high grade, often asked to their manufacturer to make the sabretache with more particular embroideries. However, the 3rd regiment, one of the less known regiments, carried often a black leather covered sabretache with the 3 number in silver only, as it was the only hussars regiment to use black leather belts, instead white. The Captain is dated by Andrea in 1805, so we must think he's a man of the Elite Company inside the regiment, because the general use of colback was introduced for all officers only in the 1808, most of them keeping shakos until later. Well, I think you cannot remove the original drawing sculpted on the sabretache, then you can paint the border galon, the leaves and the eagle in silver (although in 1805 was more used the regimental number and the upper civic crown in the centre), while the centre is deep red.
    Regards
    MdM
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Paul ,
    Like you say a nice figure but not one of Andreas best for casting .or maybe mine is just unlucky , I too have the Lancer bust in my grey army ...getting nearer to the front of the line ...look forward to see how you are going to deal with the silver lace , if you need any references let me know and I will get you them .

Keep us all posted ....Regards Kev
  20. marcellin de marbot New Member

Italy
    Hi Paul,
    Here an officer of 3rd Rgt 1809-1813, this explains the differences from sabretache I described. Note the colour
    And if you want give him a good fellow, I suggest the officer of 5th rgt. by Metal Modeles, or the other officer from White Models by Stefano Borin. You can put them talking together about battles (or women)
    Regards MdM

[IMG]