1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed "Laugh Clown Laugh" 1/4 bust

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Jimbo, Mar 10, 2023.

1. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    It's been a while since I last posted here on PF, but I've been having a bit of a painters block over the last few months, so hit the block out into the long grass I thought I'd have a crack at this, still early days yet and I'm still building up the white face, the all red clown paint markings will be added to the face once[ the white has dried....Oh the joy's of working with oil paints!;)
    This bust came from the U.S. it's 1/4 scale of Lon Chaney, the man of a thousand faces, playing the lead roll in the tragic 1928 film "Laugh Clown Laugh" anyway like I said, a way to go yet, lots of shading & highlighting to be added to his costume, it's certainly something different for me to try and give it go, it's a superb lifelike sculpt of the actual actor himself and is still available, if anyone is interested in getting a copy of this bust, contact Saul L Alvarez in the U.S. (on Facebook) he's a retired Policeman and an all round good bloke, he'll cast one up for you no problem but it ain't cheap.

Cheers
    Jim(y)

A clown jim.jpg

A clown jim 3.jpg A clown 10.jpg A clown jim2.jpg

A clown 8.jpg
    marco14, Osebor, DaddyO and 14 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jimbo

Blimey certainly not your "normal" subject ......great to see you posting it will do you good being at your bench

Scary clown and a good start

Following with interest

Looking forward to seeing more

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and Jimbo like this.
  3. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Kev....I think he looks more sad than scary though mate(y)
    Nap likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Yes reckon your right.....sadly scary ...nice work on those eyes as well ....you could add a tear coming from them ?

Look forward to seeing more especially the ruff ....what did you base that with ?

Have fun

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  5. DEL A Fixture

Scotland
    Brilliant. The stuff of nightmares...mine anyway :eek: two things in this world scare me, my wife and white face clowns.
    Face is looking great, pretty much cracked the look of skin covered in greasepaint. (y)
    Cheers
    Derek
    DaddyO, dmcHobbes and Jimbo like this.
  6. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Del

You sure your not looking at Jimbo's face ?? .......asking for a friend .....LOL

It's good to see Mr Legs painting

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  7. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Yes Kev I will be adding a tear to the eyes, they are not finished yet, the costume was primed in grey and based coated with an acrylic pearl finish white paint mixed with some acrylic gold, same with the purple sleeves, purple pearl mixed with a darker purple acrylic, still a lot to do on it
    Nap likes this.
  8. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Derek, I still need to bring up the white highlights a bit more on the face, before the red markings are added.
    glad you like it so far.
    Cheers
    Jim(y)
    Nap likes this.
  9. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    This is the finished model painted by Saul L Alvarez ( producer of the bust) I'm using this as a guide for the face but I won't be making the face so white plus the red marks & hair will be in a brighter red,
    Cheers
    Jim

A clown.jpg
  10. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi James

Good to see the sculptor painting a version ......is the base got all that detail cast on ....better get some smallish brushes for that

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  11. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    The base comes with the bust and a print out of the poster details is supplied to fix to the base, (y)
    Nap likes this.
  12. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    And here's another by Pete Watson U.K.
    A clown 6.jpg
    Osebor, DEL, Mike - The Kiwi and 2 others like this.
  13. Viking Bob PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Blimey Jim, a complete change in direction and a bust. This looks to be a cracking bust with loads of detail, the face is looking good.
    Any chance of another but with arms an legs. ;)
    Jimbo and Nap like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England

Please stop encouraging him .......LOL

Nice version by Pete Watson as well

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  15. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Hi Bob, Yeah bit of a change of direction but no worries as it's only temporary, as for arms & legs...no chance mate :happy:
    Cheers
    Jim
    Viking Bob and Nap like this.
  16. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Bit of an update for those interested, white highlights to face added along with undercoat for red & black face markings, ruff has had the shadows & highlights finished, added a black & purple undercoated double piping, still a way to go with this, ie red hair tuft, hand & skullcap to get the oil treatment and of course the base still to do, I'm really enjoying painting this seeing that it's a little bit different and outside my normal radar range of figures that I like to paint.
    Cheers
    Jim(y)

aclown.jpg aclown.jpg aclown2.jpg aclown2.jpg aclown3.jpg
    Osebor, Viking Bob, NigelR and 3 others like this.
  17. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Something a bit different Jimbo, really caught my eye this bust just because it is very unusual, really like it.
    Nice work on the painting.
    Cheers mate
    Steve
    Jimbo likes this.
  18. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Steve, glad you like it mate, like you say a bit different, hope all's good with you(y)
    1969 likes this.
  19. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Jim

That's definitely coming along well , nice work on the 2 lines on the ruff , face looks good as well

Bet painting those face marking were interesting to do !

You might like to look at the hand near the cuff ...looks like a small "blip" of resin to take off before painting

Continue having fun and sharing the updates

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Jimbo likes this.
  20. Jimbo A Fixture

England
    Thanks Kev, glad you like it so far, I must admit I've really enjoyed painting him, next will be the hand, lots of veins to show off, and yes must remove that little blip, thanks for the heads up on it(y)
    Cheers
    Jim
    Nap likes this.