1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Latorre Viking

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by johnbrewer, Oct 11, 2004.

1. johnbrewer New Member

I have been inspired by the work of Megroot and have decided to have a go at a 54mm figure. I have always liked the Latorre figures so I went for the viking. All of the parts are well cast and a nice scenic base of a wall for the figure to look around. I took my time putting wall together and drilled and pinned like a demon!.

The wall was painted in Humbrol matt pale stone and given a few washes and the end result was flat and boring and in no way reflected the time that had been put in by the sculptor, so I did a repaint inspired by the work of Mario Fuentes and used several shades of paint. This will get washed over again and hopefully I will get a interesting looking wall.

Attached Files:

2. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cool!

I too have this kit and been cleaning it up a bit and eyeballing it on the shelf. Looking forward to see you bring your to life!
  3. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello John,

It is to much honner that you inspired by me, a absolute beginner. No you and all the other guys who painted and sculpting a lifetime inspired me.
    So, what i find off your wall is: very good chose off colours. You bring the wall alive. I struggle with one stone, you attack a whole wall and bring it alive.
    Who is inspiring who???

Thanks john, but you are inspiring me.

Marc van Megroot
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Nice start there, John. Looking forward to seeing more...

Keith
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I just got this kit recently and will follow your sbs closely
  6. Patrick Kirk New Member

Awesome start John!
    I'll be watching this thread...

All the best my friend...

Patrick
  7. michelange Member

France
    Very beautiful colours John, it chande eternal dirty grey walls. :)
    Bruno
  8. johnbrewer New Member

I have done a couple of washes with a thin thin mixture of Burnt Sienna and Turps, a dry brush with Humbrol Matt Pale Stone. then another was with Raw umber and turps. Perhaps one more of raw umber in the jointing around the stones.

Attached Files:

9. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey John,

I like the color selection for the stone work. Looking forward to the figure.

Joe
  10. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Superb painting of the decor. Can't wait to see the figure taking it's place. Thanks for posting.

Greetz,

Gino.
  11. johnbrewer New Member

Hi Gino, sorry I did not get to talk at Euro. Hopefully next year, I have started work on the figure. Pics soon. all the best
  12. johnbrewer New Member

I have been thinking, oh dear I hear you say!. How about some vegatation climbing up the wall (ivy perhaps). for my Viking to peer around?. Thoughts please
  13. amherbert Member

Ivy sounds good!
    Your wall looks good so far, but a bit bare. Some ivy or other greenery would set it apart from others.

Cheers
    Andy
  14. gforceman Well-Known Member

Belgium
    Hi John,

Somehow I have the feeling this is set inside the castle. So Ivy would not grow there. Then again, you can make me to get another feel about it?

I'm curious how it will turn out. Please keep us updated.

Greetz,

Gino
  15. amherbert Member

Gino's right. It does look like it's inside. What about a nice tapestry...

If you added more dirt to the groundwork it may look outdoorsy.

Cheers
    Andy
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    A simple urn or crock on the upper step would lend it to be inside.
  17. johnbrewer New Member

Excellent ideas gentlemen. however the cry at the workbench at this moment in the house is PAINT STRIPPER !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. Oh lord what a mess.

Attached Files:

18. johnbrewer New Member

Looking a lot better now, this is just to prove that there was a beautifully sculpted face underneathh alll those layers of badly applied paint. time to try again

Attached Files:

19. johnbrewer New Member

I have made some progress on the figure the face is looking a whole lot better, could it have been worse?. I will take some pictures soon. I have been thinking about the wall, how do you guys feel about a torch mounted on there. This then got me thinking that it would good as a shadow box.
  20. RobH Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Yeah, John; torch sounds good! Did you see my mini with a torch on the wall?

torch on wall

I think if done carefully, it would look superb!