Latorre Pirate bust finished!

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Sambaman, Apr 25, 2006.

1. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    OK folks, here is my latest finished piece. Just got him done this morning! This is the aboslutely fantastic Latorre Models Pirate bust. I have to admit, I'm a HUGE fan of Latorre's work and that is what drew me to this piece. The fit and finish on this kit were fantastic. A real pleasure to work on.

I have to say one thing about this sculpt though, this guy comes off looking just a bit on the "soft" side for a pirate to my liking. So, in painting this piece I tried to make him look a bit more "hardened". First thing I added was of course the eye patch. No self-respecting pirate sails around without an eye patch right? With that, I also added the scar that presumably forces him to wear that patch, and a large continuation of that scar on his shoulder. (Maybe a bit too big in the end, but I'll tone it down next time!) Then I decided he also needed the 5'oclock shadow and a nice tanned look. I also added a bullet hole to the hat to show his experience and give the feeling of a close call. He also got the tattoo on the chest of the stylized octopus. I wanted something unique here, and I didn't wan't to do what had already been done on the box art of a skull and crossed swords. I also thought he showed too much peck on the left side not to have any sort of nipple showing there, so as you can see I nipped-him-up one there. The plinth is scratch built from a wood dowel (painted wood grain detail), and evergreen styrene to resemble a mooring post of some sort. The rope adds a bit more nautical touch and is made from craft jute. All resting on a Thomas Art wood base.

Sorry to go on so, hope you like him! Any and all comments are more than welcome!

Jay H.
    OKC

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. ArturM Well-Known Member

Poland
    Awesome work, Jay! In my opinion, this is the best version of this bust.
    I like the tatoo! :)

Best regards
    Artur
  3. modelix Active Member

HELLO JAY

IT´S A FANTASTIC WORK!!!!

FANTASTIC SKINTONE AND HAT TOO!!!

REGARDS

VITALINO CHITAS
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Vitalino, Artur,
    thanks for the kind words! I did have fun with the tattoo and the large hat.

Jay H.
    OKC
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    AWESOME............really love the Pirate Jay.......the exceptional work you did with the patch and scar...........outstanding.
  6. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Fantastic work indeed Jay. Your additions really make this exceptional piece even better. One of the best versions I have ever seen. Way to go.

Xenofon
  7. pkw4 Active Member

Italy
    Hi Jay
    superb job.A classic
    congratulations
    Roberto
  8. brian A Fixture

Scotland
    Very,very nice indeed, love the leatherwork and would love to know how you got that worn cracked look on his sword belt.
    Brian
  9. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Well done. All of your mods really improve an already nice piece from Latorre.

(y) Very cool!

Keith
  10. mahross New Member

Jay - This is a great bust. Nice muted tones makes him look fantastic. The rope around the base is a nice touch too.

Ross :)
  11. godfather Member

very very nice work. I really like the leather and skin tones. Is that acrylics or oils?
  12. Joe Hudson Active Member

United-States
    Jay,

Very, very nice. I have to admit one of the best versions of this guy. I hope to see it at Tulsa this year.

Joe
  13. arthur Member

Canada
    Jay,
    (y) Very COOL (y)
    You captured the rough look of the buccaneer in this guy perfectly.
    Excellent touch with the tattoo,..nice blueish tint to it ;)

Cheers,
    A.

P.S. Love the plinth
  14. nagashino New Member

Hi Jay

That is VERY special! The skin tones are excellent - just the right tan, and the whole thing is just so good. I do like this piece, it reminds me a little of Robert Mitchum every time I see it.

Love that hat!! :lol:

Good stuff!

Regards

Phil
  15. captnenglish Well-Known Member

United-States
    Jay,
    You have greatly improved what may already be a fantastic bust. I too have bee put off by the somewhat "soft" appearance of this piece, being a long time fan of all things pirate, but after seeing yours I might just rethink doing this kit.
  16. John Long Active Member

United-States
    Very nice Jay. The tattoo has an excellent homemade look to it. Brilliantly understated paint scheme overall. I really like how you've him mounted to the base.
  17. PJ Deluhery Active Member

United-States
    Jay, an excellent version of this teriffic figure. The leathers and overall skin coloring are excellent. You're right, this guy needed a little toughening up.
  18. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Everyone, thank you!!!!!! I really appreciate the kind words.

Guy, Xenofon, Roberto, Ross, Kieth, Joe, Matthew, thanks for the compliments!

Brian, I painted the belt over all first. Laying out the basic shades and giving it a lighter tone toward the top. While it was still wet I used my lightest highlight color and streaked the edges from the outside in, then blended and refined them a bit using my shadow color. It took some pratice and trial and error, but it paid off in the end. I was inspired from Ernest's pirate he did some time ago.

Talino, I use oils. I base coat in acrylics, and might sneak in some acrylic or enamel here and there, but the over all piece is entirely oils.

Arthur, I actually had this made before I even started the figure! I knew I had to have something that had a bit more "nautical" feel to it for this piece.

John, I tried specifically for a "primitive" feel to the tattoo. I had to guess tattooing was in its infancy at this time and the more simple the better. I'm glad you like it!

Phil, that's damn funny. Robert Mitchum, huh.....now I do see the resemblance! :lol:

I hope I didn't miss anyone, thanks again!

Jay H.
    OKC
  19. godfather Member

what oil/acyrlic colours do you use for the leather?
  20. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Pat, thanks for the compliments! Yeah, he needed a little roughing-up, but a fantastic piece for sure.

Talino, I basically used (oils) raw umber, Cad red, yellow ochre and white. If I remeber correctly this area was undercoated with raw umber acrylics as well. I always mix up a shadow, mid-tone and highlight for the area I'm painting. In this case raw umber and cad red cut with differing amounts of ochre and white depending on how light I wanted to go. HTH,

Jay H.
    OKC