1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

LaTorre Models

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Guy, Oct 27, 2005.

1. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hola Mike!

I did not say that this figure was torn apart but some of his previous work. I was just saying that it is interesting that when Raul comes out with a new piece everybody gets to talking, but when someone else does something very little talk occurs. This is a good thing though, its great to see so many people get involved!

Latorre is one of my favourite sculptors hands down and I always look forward to his new pieces. And a book...oooooooooh, I cant wait!!
  2. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    Well, torn apart or put together, I'll have one of these for sure ;) .

Jim Patrick
  3. Automata Member

United-States
    I agree that that Raul is using an stylistic approach and this makes his figures very interesting. The small ankles don't bother me personally, but I understand how certain things don't work for certain eyes. The ankles remind me of the way Alphonse DeNeuville painted them, which is something I always liked. See Bill Horan's French trumpeter in his Vbench for an example. I also like the way Bill included this element in his sculpture.

However, I don't think that everyone should heap nothing but praise upon a figure, no matter what they might be thinking. I don't see how there is anything wrong with pointing out things that they don't like about a sculpture or the way a figure has been painted. If this hobby is truly an art form as I've heard so often lately, shouldn't we be able to speak at least somewhat honestly about how we feel about these works of art? Isn't that part of what art is supposed to elicit from the viewer? There are some elements of his latest figures that have looked odd to me, though. I will never be that good, but I like what I like.

Mike, I'm not suggesting that you are saying these things shouldn't be discussed. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I take what you are saying as that we are missing something if we just look at a sculpture as a series of precise measurements.

Guy, I don't see anyone visciously attacking Mr. LaTorre as you seem to be saying in your post. Like Steve, my work is critiqued every day. Sometimes its because I could have done something better and sometimes its just a difference of opinion, but as long as criticism is done in an adult manner, I always welcome it. I think we all should.
  4. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Yes Barry, that is what I am saying.

If you were a rabid country music fan and somebody gave you a Foo Fighters disc, you might feel that it is junk because it is not "country music"! Of course, this is a ridiculous statement because the Foo Fighters are not even attempting to make country music! (thank my stars for that!). It is an unfair criticism because its basic premise is invalid.

It may be stretch here, but this also relates to the open judging system used here at figure shows in the states. The judges job is to judge the model on the merit of what it IS, not what their personal individual prejudices might wish it to be.

We can have our prejudices and decide what we like or don't like.

In the case of Latorre, if the presence of his work is anything to judge by, I think a lot more people like his models than don't.

All great sculptors, from Rodin to Michelangelo have used distortion and exaggeration in their work. Raul is following a very old tradition. I think those who do not understand this have closed their minds off to many of the greater possibilities in our little 'art'.

It is their loss.

Just my two cents......

Mike
  5. Calvin Member

Hello Mike, dont get me wrong because I do not want to argue or criticize, but I do not think so. Michelangelo, from an artistic point of view, is one of the greatest exponent of the Reinessance and the only very old tradition we can found on the Reinessance period is the ancient (Greek) concept of beauty as proportion and armony (between parts).

The Reinessance is by definition the re-discovery of the classic values, in a word 'balance'. Only the Mannerism and Baroque will break such ideal, showing a without-centre vision of the art, the best way to express the new restlessness feeling.

Now, personally, I dont see any distortion and exaggeration in the work of Michelangelo, as well I dont see any of the ancient Greek ideals about beauty in a such figure. On the opposite, all those rules are breaked (ankles too tiny, legs and feets to long, head too small, etc.). Raul is just following his own tradition.

I dont like this style, but this is just my opinion. People sometimes mistake between facts ('that ankle is too tiny') and opinions ('I dont like that ankle, so it sucks for me'), ending with wrong conclusions ('saying tiny ankle means the figure, the sculptor, all his work, all the world... sucks').

By the way, is interesting to note the amount of publicity those kind of figure are receiving when generating all that buzz about a tiny ankle.

Luca
  6. jjgurk Member

United-States
    Just wanted to resurrect this post to say that I received mine the other day courtesy of Chuck at the RED LANCERS (superb service BTW), but haven't opened it yet as I'm giving it to my wife as a Christmas gift. Reason it's still sealed in the box is quite simple, she'd see it on my workbench! But boy oh boy I can hardly wait to lay some paint on this figure.

John
  7. romain Active Member

this is a fantastic minis although ankles are too fine