1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Latorre Crimean Rifleman

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by DaveCox, Feb 12, 2006.

1. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    This is Latorre's 54mm rifleman, painted in oils over acrylics. I've taken tips from others and thinned the oils more than usual, also put the paint on a sheet of absorbant paper for a bit before using them so that they're less oily. Hope it's worked! The paint certainly seemed to flow better.

Attached Files:

2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Dave, it looks nice, the only thing that I would differantmis maybe do a little more blending and some more shadows and highlights on the trousers.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  3. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    Dave it looks quite good. But I think that I can see brush strokes. Try to put the less oil possible, because as I can see from you photos the oil starts to build up.

Xenofon
  4. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys. The trousers were shaded with paynes grey, so they should've been dark enough in the shadows. As for the brush strokes - if I thin the paint anymore it'll be more thinners than paint but I'll give it a go - nearly new sable so it shouldn't be the brush. At least it isn't too glossy this time!
    I'm learning as fast as I can!!!!LOL
  5. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dave,

It is a great start. But as Rocco said. More highlight and shading.
    Stop with adding oil to the paint. The paint flew good, but you gonna see more brushstrokes then you ever wish.
    Better is to paint three or four times very thin then one time to thick.
    As Xenofon says, the oil is building up so you used to much.
    Do you put in the oil above the paint out of the tube??
    If you want to use oil let the oil seek out of the paint before you ad some oil.

Marc
  6. DaveCox Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Marc. I didn't add oil to the paint - I actually squeezed the paint from the tube onto an absorbant sheet to soak some out, left it for about half an hour and then transferred it to the pallet. The paint was thinned with white spirit to make it flow better.
    I'm happy that I'm improving, it's all a lrearning process for me at the moment.
  7. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Dave, you are doing well, please don't get discouraged, we are only trying to help you.
    You will see that with every figure you paint you will improve, my advice is to practice and ask questions, that is how we all have learned.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  8. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Dave, A little bit of oil paint goes a long way. The drawback with some colors is they are almost transparent when put on. a solid basecoat in acrylics should be a solution with at least some colors. Unless it's the lighting, the only color that looks a bit out of place is the green. Perhaps a glaze of a darker color would correct this. Keep painting.~Gary
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    And that's what count Dave. As you see where i came from two years ago, the guys said i'm improved.
    So, pick up the brushes and up to the next figure with all the advises that you got.
    You will see, (i know for myself) that every figure is better.
    And you are definitely on the right way, you are doing fine.

Marc