1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP Latorre 93rd Highlander Bust (oils)

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Wings5797, Jun 26, 2012.

1. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    After a long time in the back of a dusty cupboard I have decided to add a little colour ( W&N Oils) to this magnificent bust. Following the heroic efforts by this regiment in 1854 and the incredible sculpting by Raul there is no way that I could do this piece justice..........but I painted it anyway.
    I hope you can see something that you like.

Cheers
    Keith

Attached Files:

Tommi, Steve and tiberius57 like this.
  2. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Keith,as painters we all have different levels and I think you have done a good job,this is one of raul's better pieces and has proved popular in the past with painters,a good effort mate,well done.

Brian
  3. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Thanks for your kind words Brian. I didn't realise until I joined PF how encouraging these comments are.
    I agree that this is one of, if not the best bust that Raul has done.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  4. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Looks a commendable effort Keith.
    I don't think you can go far wrong with a Latorre piece.
    Carl.(y)
  5. smudger1960 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-Kingdom
    Thats the great thing about this site keith,everybody is friendly and you'll be suprised how much your confidence grows with each piece you paint and post on the forum,look forward to seeing some more of your stuff (y)

Brian
  6. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    very nicely presented
  7. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Carl,
    Good to hear from you Mate, thanks for checking out this post and your generous comments.
    Of course you are right about Latorre figures. That said I did have a slight smile with the 54mm Grenadier Guards Officer 1854, where the water bottle and haversack were outside of the greatcoat and the straps were inside....but still a great figure.
    Slight aside, did you get anywhere with the M16 rifle?
    Thanks again Carl.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  8. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Brian
    I totally agree, this site is amazing. I have only been here a short time but it is like a world wide second home. And there are some great comedy moments too:D.
  9. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Ken,
    Many thanks for taking time to look and comment, great to hear from you.
    I like your signature a lot. I wish that I had heard this before I retired. It fits a guy I used to work for to a tee
    Cheers,
    Keith
  10. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Zeno
    Thanks for ticking the like box

Steve,
    Thanks for breaking off from from your "military exersizes" to tick the like box. How many figures did you see when you viewed the post?
    Thanks Mate ;).
    Cheers,
    Keith
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Very nice work Keith.
    You read alot here and that is what i see in your painting.
    I think you used to much oilpaint. I saw it yesterday in my club where a new member painted a bust with oils. I see the same here. You cannot always cover the color that you want in one time. Then do it two, three maybe four times. But paint with less then you do know.
    If you do that, you will see that the blending of the colors is more easyer. With to much paint it will go quickly muddy.
    Do you use some underpaint, btw acrylic, enamel???

Marc
  12. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Marc,
    Thank you for your kind remarks.
    I understand what you are saying about too much paint. On this figure I primed with white auto paint,very thinly, then base coat all of the face but using subtally different shades of oil flesh.Using yellow ocher, zinc white, raw sienna, scarlet,prussian blue and forest green. I think that it is this base coating that is coming through as too thick. Today I experimenting a different technique that I stole from a 'realistic' portrait painter, Ian Cumberland. This system uses a more burgandy shaded base in place of the scarlet and and raw sienna. this is layed on very thinly in two or three layers in wrinkles and skin folds. then the skin tones are painted on using slightly thicker washes. It seams to avoid the thick paint look you speak of....time will tell if it is ok.
    I have tried painting with acrylics like a lot of members here but did not get a good result. I need to get some tuition with this quick drying medium.
    Good advice from you Marc, many thanks.
    I must add that I looked on your Clubs web site and was very pleased by what I saw. Excellent!
    Cheers,
    Keith
  13. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    He looks very nice Keith and you got some good tips to make the next one even better..... what is next? :)

Roger.
  14. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hello Mate,
    My major on going nightmare is sculpting legs onto Carl Reid's 200mm Gordon Highland Sergeant Bust. With a lot of detailed research has so far taken 6 months. It is now about 50% through the painting. Add to this my first flat figure in 30mm I am in a confusion of extreams :confused:.
    Thanks for taking time to look at my post and comment, you are always very encouraging.
    Cheers,
    Keith
  15. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Keith,

Further to Marc's point, I would also suggest that you consider a painting technique known as "oils over acrylics".

This technique involves painting the base colours of the figure in thin layers of acrylic paint, and then using a thinned solution of oil paint to apply the contrasting shadows and highlights. The effect is similar to applying a stain on the base colour, which can be particularly effective. The benefit of this technique is that you avoid that problem of building up layers of oil paint of the surface of the figure and losing surface detail.

The key to painting with acrylics is to keep your paint mix dilute and to apply many thin layers of colour rather than try to get coverage with a couple of thick applications. There are plenty of tutorials and "how to" posts here on pF that can show you in Step By Step (SBS) format how to paint with acrylics.
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    A 200mm & 30mm flat, that should just about addle the brain sufficiently. :D Mind you I'm working on a 120mm and 30mm's so it could explain a lot.

Roger.
  17. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Hi Keith, I've painted this one myself and it is not easy. I think you have made a good job of it. The only slight critism I have if you dont mind is the chequered headband could do with straightening up a bit. It is more noticeable as you zoom into the image. Other than that, good work.
  18. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks for you good advice. I will get an 'also ran' figure and see what I can do with acrylics over painted with oils. I have to say that I had always been cautious of mixing medium. Are there areas that you don't over paint with oils using this technique?
    I will take your good advice and thanks for taking time to share it with me.
    Cheers
    Keith
  19. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hello Roger,
    Welcom to my 'addled brain' world.
    Cheers Mate,
    Keith
  20. Wings5797 A Fixture

France
    Hi Jazz, good to hear from you.
    Many thanks for you kind words and constructive comment. I have to agree. I had researched this regiments uniform details and discovered that on the bonnet and later glengarry the diced band is in fact knitted. This means that the line between the
    red and white is saw toothed. I have to say under such magnification you are absolutely correct.
    **Memo to myself....must get stronger glasses for figure painting, or stop trying to be smart with saw toothing between colours.
    Cheers Mate,
    Keith