Latest project - Darkness

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mongo Mel, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hello all,
    Here is a picture of my newest project.
    It's a very large bust of the character Darkness from the movie Legend.
    It's a 3 piece resin figure from Geometric.
    I thought this might be something simple to get me jump started. Turns out there was a ton of sanding needed to get rid of some major seams on both horns and the body.
    Hope you like it. My wife hates it :(
    Craig

Attached Files:

2. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Craig, that is a scary looking figure.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  3. Uruk-Hai PlanetFigure Supporter

Sweden
    And there will be no light without me...........because Im DARKNESS....

Well if the wife hates this bust, let her watch the movie, then she will really hate Tom Cruise instead. :lol:

Cheers
  4. Brad S Member

Hey Craig.

That is a great bust. There was a sbs on painting that in a previous Modelers Resource magazine. The sculpting and casting got high marks from the painter. Someone bought the casts from Geometric and is putting these fabulous busts back out in the market, or maybe geometric started back up. Im not sure. I'm just about finished with the geometric bust of Phantom of the Opera. Anyway, it will be a fun project and let you break away from the military aspect for awhile.

Brad Spelts
  5. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Uruk-Hai,
    Yeah...I don't think she'd like that movie :lol:
    Although I thought it was interesting. Mostly for watching Tim Curry and for looking at Mia Sara.
    Brad,
    If that's true I'll be a happy camper. Geometrics made some great horror busts that I wasn't able to get before they shut down. I'll be sure to keep my eyes open for them. Thanks for the heads up.
    Craig
  6. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Crappy lame movie but cool bust. :lol:

Craig - I look forward to seeing how you paint the Red flesh tones. Any thoughts on that subject that you can share now?

Keith
  7. Brad S Member

Craig,

I just looked it up in an issue of Amazing Figure Modeler (great magazine - mostly horror, monsters and girls, and large scale), Geometric IS back in business. All I see listed so far is - Meteluna, Predator, Invisible Man, The Bride, Mr. Hyde, and Darkness. All Busts, of course and between $54.99 & $64.99. www.geometricdesign.net is the website. Mr. Hyde looks like fun!

Brad Spelts
  8. Bill Mayo New Member

Al Matrone bought the bulk of the GEO line (www.geometricdesign.net/) from George Stephens.
    I acquired two remaining busts myself that Al wasn't interested in at the time:
    the "Enemy Mine" bust and "Blacula."

So, yes, these cool GEO 1/4 scales are in production again.

-Bill
  9. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Brad,
    I too get that magazine and I love it. I'll have to check my last issue (King Kong) for that info. Thanks again for the heads up :)
    Keith,
    That seems to be the hot topic for this piece. I got a lot of replys on ArmormaA asking the same thing. My initial thoughts were the authentic red skin/black horns. Maybe trying to add some sort of irregular black pattern underneath the red just for effect. One suggestion was to paint him in blue. Funny thing was, I did find a picture on the internet of him in blue. Was that from the movie? It's been so long since I saw it I can't remember.
    Craig
  10. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I guess that is one nice thing about this type of figure... You are not likely to get alot of quibbles on "accuracy". Unless, I suppose, you try to paint it like the movie. ;)

Heck, Red, green... blue would be good. :lol:

Keith
  11. Brad S Member

Craig,

Man, I have some great ideas I want to try out on your figure, guess I might have to get one. I've tried that noodling technique and at first it seems like you are really screwing up the figure, but after it been slightly covered up in transparent colors, it REALLY adds to the effect. So maybe add some black shadows and then sribble the airbrush or brush in a noodling fashion to break up the pattern then cover it with tranparent red ink, or tamiya clear red or something. By the way, I love spraying those inks.

Brad Spelts