1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Review Latest from Ares Mythologic - The Samurai

Discussion in 'Reviews , Video Reviews and Open Book' started by Nap, Apr 11, 2011.

1. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi guys ,
    Now like most of us on PF I like a good movie and one that was particularly enjoable was the 2003 film "The Last Samurai" starring Ken Watanabe as Katsomoto , a multi-faceted character. Charismatic, a deadly swordsman, a proud father, a linguist and poet, and above all a samurai war leader who adheres absolutely to the honourable code of bushido.
    The film is set in the 19th century (1870)when Japan was crying out to get all things from the Westerners , and is based around the code of the samurai , with some amazing battle scenes ..well worth a look .

So I was really happy to see that Ares Mythologic had produced a model , not only that it was a bust as well , so after watching the film it was time to review !!!!
    First though let have a couple of pictures from the film itself , make sure you note the actors features and remember this when you read the review !!!(y)

Continued in the next post :

Nap

Attached Files:

2. Nap Moderator

England
    Moving onto what we all want to see ..the model itself :

Subject: The Samurai

Reference: Ares - Bust 04

Scale:1:12th

Material: Resin

Sculptor: Carles Vaquero

Box Art: Jaume Ortiz

As with all products I have reviewed from Ares It was very well presented in a strong cardboard box with a colour image of the finished piece on the front, on opening the box pieces were found sealed in a bag and packed in an envelope of foam sponge....no chance of any damage from this company I think (y).

The model consists of a single piece pieces , in a grey resin , what makes this different is that the undersides are all hollowed out ..even lighter to hold when you paint this one

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

3. Nap Moderator

England
    On now to the subject itself:

Firstly the Torso :

Sculpted as one piece which includes the torso, head , in a light gray resin . .

There are no mould lines present that I could find using my optivisor and the only prep I had to do was to sand down the bottom of the base so I could pin it ..great start and with anticipation I looked in more detail.

Detailing is very good in all areas , the armour is extremely well done and accurately represented , with some fine sculpting which will be heightened when you paint this one , the clothing folds are very natural and have come out well to gether with some nice and clean undercuts , so all credit to the caster and the sculptor

Looking now at the facial features , one word really ..stunning , the likeness to the actor is first class , this is even more emphasised by looking at the box art .

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Guys ,
    I mentioned details in the previous post and here to emphasise it are a couple of pictures , the first if of the distinctive chest armour and the 2nd is obviously the amazing facial details , I think the sculptor has been very brave to take this on , as too often the end result bears only a slight resemblance to the subject ..not in this case though !!!

Enjoy the pictures as much as I did actually taking them .............

Continued in next post:

Nap

Attached Files:

5. Nap Moderator

England
    Finally lets have my final thoughts :

Conclusion:
    As with all products from this company , presentation is 1st class with all pieces protected , sculpting is excellent , as is the subject matter .

This will give the painter hours of fun and of course make a fine addition to the display cabinet .

A really wonderful sculpt and one that will feature on many a competition table for sure

A bust I have pleasure to highly recommend to one and all..I look forward to seeing the next from this very interesting range

The bust can be obtained direct from Ares via their website www.aresmythologic.com or by email to : info@aresmythologic.com

In the UK it can be got from El Greco of course at a cost of £25.00 plus shipping

Phone: +44 (0)1280 840364

Email: info@elgrecominiatures.co.uk

Home Page: http://www.elgrecominiatures.co.uk

For your delight and as a great reference here are a couple more pictures of the box art from Jaume himself ...enjoy .

Nap

Attached Files:

6. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Nice work Kevin. I have to admit, the box art by Jaume goes a long way in making this look more like Watanabe. To be honest , when you see it just from the box, it's hard to see the resemblance. That doesn't stop this from being a very nice looking piece!

Jay H.
  7. Nap Moderator

England
    Jay ,
    A fair point as with all reviews its the reviewers opinion , I actually used my optivisor!!! , but you are of course right Jaume's painting really brings the character to life ..but aslo as you said its a great piece .

Nap
  8. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thank you Kevin for posting, Carles Vaquero and Jaume Ortiz's work is exceptional :)
  9. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Agree with Jay, re the painting bringing the resemblance 'home'

Painters treat!

cheers
  10. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    This is great sculpting work m8, it will take a mammoth painting job to get anywhere near the presentation on the box art. Thanks for posting.:cool:
  11. tonyhp Active Member

Italy
    Great job of sculpture and painting. I like it so much.
    Saluti
    Tony