1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

'Last Advance of the Old Guard' Waterloo. 75mm

Discussion in 'Figure News' started by Grod, May 17, 2023.

1. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hello Folks
    Following on from the 'Quatre Bras' set I'm currently looking to produce another 75mm Waterloo based diorama by AdamMcMaster . The six figure set depicts the Old Guard Grenadiers reeling at the point where they were greeted by the the allied lines during Napoleon's last gamble attack during the early evening of the battle. Maitlands Guards rose up from the cover of wheat fields to deliver scathing musketry along with the 52nd Regiment. The Old Guard wavered then retreated effectively ending Napoleon's comeback tour.
    Available now. Anyone order please email me on gordonmi@hotmail.com
    The price for all six figures is £130.00 + shipping
    UK £4.50
    Europe £10.00
    Elsewhere £15.00
    The sets will be going onto www.rdgminiatures.com at £160.00 per set.
    Cheers.
    Gordon.

20230514_102203.jpg 20230514_102211.jpg 20230514_102441.jpg 20230514_102231.jpg 20230514_102349.jpg
  2. The Riveteer Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I'm sorry to say this here Grod but I just can't help it. I've nothing against you or the otherwise excellent model; but this simply never happened.
    The depiction of the Guard at Waterloo has long been the main bug bear of mine , and it's not just rivet counting.
    The perpetuation of the fictitious massacre of the 1st Grenadier myth is bad enough, but this is another level. The regiments/battalions faced and repulsed by Maitland and the 52nd were the 1st and 2nd battalions of the 3rd Chasseurs, and, mainly, the 4th Chasseurs. The Chasseurs did not have plates on their bearskins. The 1st Chasseurs would have had the eagle - only one standard was issued to the Chasseurs as an arm of the Guard after Napoleon's return from Elba, and it stayed with the senior regiment at Waterloo, who did not take part in the attack.

I'm sorry if these comments don't sit well with people, . Please don't respond with the usual "b****y "know it all". This is meant as a historical comment, not a criticism of the model itself . I'm just stating the facts (to the best of anyone's knowledge) that can be found in any one of the mountain of books written on Waterloo, and I'm ready to stand corrected on this if anyone else can cite valid references to the contrary.

Waiting for, but not looking forward to the backlash.
    David
    NigelR, OldTaff, MCPWilk and 3 others like this.
  3. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Many thanks for your comments.
    Cheers
    Gordon
  4. Warren SMITH A Fixture

Australia
    Very nice figure set, well sculpted and nicely cast...
    Grod likes this.
  5. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Warren.
    Adam did a nice job on these. I released part 1 the officer, drummer and Eagle bearer some time ago. I've just got round to releasing the final three.
    Cheers
    Gordon
  6. Chrisr PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    Excellent models as usual Grod, however, The Riveteer is correct. The attack was made by the 3rd Grenadiers au pied (less the 2nd Battalion), 4th Grenadiers au pied and the 3rd and 4th Chasseurs au pied. Nonetheless, your vignette would represent either the 3rd or 4th Grenadiers au pied (although I am not sure if they carried an eagle during the attack) being repulsed by Halkett’s Brigade and Chasseè‘s 3rd Netherlands Division. IMO by far the best study of Waterloo is John Hussey’s two volume Waterloo:The Campaign of 1815. A brilliant and superbly researched account of the entire 100 days from Napoleon’s escape from Elba to the taking of Paris by the allies.
    Regards
    Chris
  7. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Chris
  8. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Gordon

Nice to see the full set released , good detail sculpting by Adam , will look great painted up on suitable groundwork ( muddy perhaps )

I think the new additions work well together , some might add a wounded figure on the ground as well...many possibilities

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Grod likes this.
  9. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    David is correct about the historical shortcomings of the fictional "Old Guard-scene". Nevertheless very nice sculpting and animation. I recall the aggravated responses to similar posts in the years before that resulted in a silence by the the ones like David that would like to see at last one scene that depicts the real participants of that historical moment. But I guess the myth wins always over the facts and the real horror of that moments thanks to propaganda that started the day after the battle was fought - at that time easily acchieved by flashy paintings.
    As a producer the commercial success is crucial and I am sure that this dio will do well for Gordon - surely better than a scene closer to history. Cheers Martin
  10. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    As has been stated above, this vignette has been superbly modelled. The full dress uniforms are very colourful, but weren't greatcoats worn by the Guard units at Waterloo? As an aside, Wellington's reported words were "now Maitland, now's your time", he may also have said "up Guards and at them again", but almost certainly not "up Guards and at 'em"! (https://www.military-prints.com/military_print.php?ProdID=5394).

As for myths, the sunken road became a sunken 12 feet deep ravine which swallowed up over a thousand cavalry according to Victor Hugo, possibly to explain away the failure of the French cavalry charges (https://www.waterlooassociation.org.uk/2019/02/22/victor-hugos-account-of-the-battle-of-waterloo/).

Finally our German friends will claim that the Prussians won a battle which was recognised as an Allied victory. Wellington only stood because he had been assured that Blucher would keep his word and come to his aid despite Gneisnau's mistrust of him.

This has to be probably the most written about battle in history, but due to black powder, the fog of war obscured just about everyone's view, and until we get a Tardis or time travelling set of drones, no-one will know exactly how it played out only the major moves and the eventual outcome.

Mike

Mike
  11. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Quite right Martin.

Possibly hard to believe but I am quite well read on the subject of Waterloo. I have a fair collection of relevant books and have visited the battlefield on at least 8 occasions over the years although, unlike some, I wasn't actually there at the time it kicked off. I, along with many others of a certain age, I have been enthralled with the battle since seeing the Waterloo movie in the 1970's. Images of massed blue and red ranks, cavalry charges, british squares, the Old Guard being levelled by artillery, etc, etc have stuck with me since. You touched upon paintings depicting scenes from the battle, these were, and still are, a great influence on me and the subjects I choose to produce. We now know, as you rightly pointed out, that many of these paintings are historically inaccurate. This said you can't help but admire the drama involved in such works as Lady Butler's Scotland Forever, just one of many such subjects, despite the historic gaffs. The truth of that painting which shows steeds at full gallop with the Greys in full dress with colours flying is that they barely got into a trot before meeting the French infantry, their Guidon was safely ensconced in their home barracks and the bright red tunics and grey horses would be completely caked in mud. Personally I prefer Lady Butlers version of events and this viewpoint is reflected in many of the subjects I have produced, some of which are pure theater with a hint of truth or vice versa depending on your outlook.

I am aware that the subject of historical accuracy is very important to some but I know from experience that entering into debate on this forum on this matter is counter productive and divisive. I know of at least two of the UKs best sculptors who have removed themselves from PF due to incessant criticism by a persistent minority, some of whom did not even paint figures, which to my mind left the forum much poorer. From my point of view I produce kits and display them on PF for members to decide if they wish to order them from me thereby allowing me to produce further projects. They are not to everyone's liking and I am quite comfortable with this view but will continue to produce projects for interested figure painters.

Cheers
    Gordon
  12. The Riveteer Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Gordon
    There is an easy solution to please everyone here. Just market the model as "The Old Guard advance" and leave the Waterloo aspect out of it. There seems to be some widespread misunderstanding that the Guard were only ever engaged at Waterloo and nowhere else. Hope it sells well for you regardless.
    David
    OldTaff and Grod like this.
  13. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    Hi Gordon, we know and like each other and I still recall our nice chat at Eindhoven some years ago. Therefore I am aware of your expertise and I share your feelings about the paintings that made me feel "how it was" as a kid until I got a healthy dose of the reality by being "in action" abroad. As already said - fair enough for a producer and a sculptor to go for the drama and myth. If only everyone would have taken comments (backed by serious sources) about differences to historical events like you do - nobody on both sides would have felt that he had to leave PF in the past. The same goes for remarks about anatomical problems of a sculpt that are not evident with this nice new release. All the best, Martin
    OldTaff and Grod like this.
  14. The Riveteer Active Member

United-Kingdom

Hi Mike
    The subject of clothing at Waterloo needs a lot of digging which I haven't got time for at present. I recommend Paul L Dawson's book "Napoleon's Waterloo Army, uniforms and equipment". A very dry and dull read but painstakingly researched from documentation pertaining to regimental depots, what was ordered and what was issued etc. However you do have to interpret that information for yourself. For example; he notes that items deposited in the stores and not issued in the Hundred Days included fifty five Grenadier Habits and Ninety two pairs of pantaloons in blue cloth". If these were left behind I would have to rationalize that the Regiment had a full compliment of items.
    As for Greatcoats who really knows, They would probably bee soaked through, uncomfortable and heavy from the previous evenings downpour. The day itself was swelteringly hot and I imagine the Greatcoats would have been packed or left on baggage wagons. I'd be pretty sure that pantaloons were worn rather than breeches and gaiters but these are only my own conclusions.

As fo rthe myths - more than any other Battle I know of.
    Who did or said what? Where Blucher and Wellington actually met, what Cambronne said - the list goes on. On my last trip to Waterloo I saw a Frech publication which must have had at least ten paintings of the "Cambronne - Guard dies" incident - all but one depicted Grenadiers rather than Chasseurs - that's how myths are perpetuated and why I get huffy about these things.

I can entirely see where the German's are coming from, and I can't disagree.
    Apart from the Prussian intervention, only a third of Wellington's army were British by nationality. Hougumont was also defended by Nassau troops. Despite what Wellington said about the shutting the gates at Hougoumont being the turning point, the battle was all but lost by the time the Prussians (who arrived a lot earlier that most people think) broke through; and I personally think the loss of La Haye Sainte (defended by KGL) would have been more catastrophic.
    Donzelot's troops, who supported the Imperial Guard's attack in the centre of the line was resisted by Brunswick and Nassau troops.
    I don't wish to diminish the bravery of the British or their effectiveness here but they were, on the whole, in a minority within the Allied army.
    Napoleon is well known as a master of propaganda and fact twisting but Wellington would not seem to be too far behind him; for example, in praising Maitland's troops at the expense of denying Colbourne's 52nd, who's action was what probably turned the tide of the Imperial Guard's advance.

David
    OldTaff and Martin64 like this.
  15. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Well said Gordon.

If people want to just paint "reality" of warfare, then do AFVs and figure dioramas etc. where everything and everyone is caked in mud, dust or sweat as applicable after a short time and wrapped up in whatever they can find to protect against the elements, then how interesting would that be as a hobby painting exercise and especially so, of such a colorful and interesting era like the Napoleonic one? That said, perhaps some would then argue that the colour of the soil, mud and even the fauna as depicted "wasn't right" for that region where the action is cited as being depicted because in 'X region', someone submits there are no like plants growing there and the earth is more red/brown/clay/sandy etc. ..!

There used to be a time when the almost exclusive sole 'moan' of figure painters in this hobby was .." Oh, it's 54mm..I wish it was X scale" but now 3D technology has effectively made that submission redundant, the figure producers still have their feet held to the fire on a raft of other matters. If a figure is anatomically poor then that's one thing, but the constant 'paralysis by analysis' of seemingly everything these days and whether someone will buy/paint a figure because of sometimes even minutiae historical matters, must drive sculptors and producers up the wall. I don't (personally) recall any figure maker (including Gordon) ever saying or crowing - " I guarantee this piece is historically 100% accurate in all respects".

Personally, I am so glad we have people like Gordon in the hobby who in many ways with his plethora of subjects and "WOW!" factor big releases (singles and his large and imposing set pieces) has, subjectively, been a breath of fresh air for the hobby rather than the usual 'safe' subjects of single piece Romans, Crusaders, French Hussars and pointing WW2 Germans etc. and of course, in only the traditional and limited scales.

Gary
  16. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Granted, most of Wellington's experienced Peninsular troops were in North America. The battle was an Allied victory, and dependent on Wellington and Blucher supporting each other. Napoleon hoped to split the armies such that Blucher retreated to Prussia, as Gneisnau preferred, and Wellington retreated to Antwerp and the North Sea. As it was a sizeable part of Wellington's army was based to cover a possible retreat. It was a cobbled together Allied army which stood against Napoleon, whose generalship failed at the last hurdle. That again has been and will be chewed over for centuries to come. Wellington did regret being less fullsome with praise, and did get a little peeved at annual Waterloo Dinners when his various subordinates claimed to have turned the battle, his reported comment being along the lines of "had the battle been lost, I know d****d well who would have lost it!.

The vignette of 'The Old Guard Advancing" remains a splendid piece of the sculptor's art and will paint up very well. Thankfully, most military modelling is based to a lesser extent on myth and avoids the reality of war from ancient times until the present, and concentrates on the courage and heroism of the troops rather than the actual clash of arms and its aftermath.
    Blind Pew and Chrisr like this.
  17. Martin64 A Fixture

Germany
    LOL - wasn't aware that the "Old Guard" are an "unsafe" new approach beside the miniatures of Romans, Germans, etc. Still I think that the differences between a parade ground appearance and the campaign look of Napoleonic soldiers can be much more fascinating and modellingwise challenging than more modern soldiers in the field. Cheers Martin
    Redcap likes this.
  18. Nap Moderator

England
    Me......I'm just enjoying the skill day of the sculptor and the dedication of the company in order to keep bringing pieces like this to the market

Enjoy what you paint .....no matter what

Have fun

Nap
  19. Redcap A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I spoke of his range in general Martin and not just this specific release which I agree, is a well modelled subject over the years.
    Gary
    Martin64 likes this.
  20. Grod A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Thanks Gary
    Your sentiments are much appreciated.
    Cheers
    Gordon
    Redcap and Nap like this.