1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Large scales

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Nap, May 4, 2017.

?

DO YOU PREFER 90 MM OR 120 MM IN FULL FIGURES ( IRRESPECTIVE OF PERIOD/SUBJECT ) ?

Poll closed May 18, 2017.
90 mm 16 vote(s) 43.2%
120 mm 21 vote(s) 56.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. China Dave Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Steve at Reedees Miniatures does some very fine 1/16th weapons and a nice range of heads too (but I'm guessing that this is old news to you guys)
  2. s.e.charles New Member

thank you for these links. it gives me hope for my conundrum; to wit:

as figures are not my primary hobby (sorry!), i am terribly naïve regarding the availability of larger scale figures which do not appear to be caricatures with overly large heads, hands, & feets (sic).

i would like to break into a large scale model railroad project within the next couple of winters and am deciding which scale based on availability of #1. figures and #2. vehicles.

given a perfect world, MK35 figures in the civilian range, a scale of 1:12, would satisfy my needs. the next question is "what offerings in late 19th or early - to - mid 20th century figures are available in/ around that scale & era?

i can go bigger or a little smaller, to 1:24 - 5 if need be. now i model in 1:87 & 35 (trains) and 1:24 -5 (automobiles).

thanks
  3. Mirofsoft A Fixture

Belgium
    In 1/12, best to search through Doll Houses accessories makers

In 1/24 you have a large range available at Preiser also consider 1/25 and 1/22.5 in their range

and see the Gauge vs. scale here
    https://www.preiser-figuren.de/cms,massstab
    s.e.charles likes this.
  4. Dejan Member

Australia
    120mm for a center piece in the cabinet, but its a lot of work, so has to be a stand out mini
  5. s.e.charles New Member

6. gorgosaurus Active Member

Denmark
    Both, I´m afraid.Most of my models are 1/18th scale, but 1/15 is becoming increasingly popular.
    Spike.
  7. Steve Corvi New Member

I agree 90mm is good large size for military figures. I especially like mounted figures too and 90mm is manageable! Thsi sia bad pic of my Steel Bonbnets 90mm Black Prince Poitiers 1356

Now the other display cabinet for my Sci-Fi Fantasy are much larger 1/8 & 1/6 Taarna 1/6

Steve

000_1980.jpg DSCN2351.JPG
    Babelfish likes this.
  8. Steve Corvi New Member

I agree 90mm is good large size for military figures. I especially like mounted figures too and 90mm is manageable! Thsi sia bad pic of my Steel Bonbnets 90mm Black Prince Poitiers 1356

Now the other display cabinet for my Sci-Fi Fantasy are much larger 1/8 & 1/6 Taarna 1/6

Steve
    Babelfish and Blind Pew like this.
  9. s.e.charles New Member

maybe the wrong thread, but, well, i'm here now so may as well make the most of it.

is it practical to apply clothing & hand/ feet/ head features via two-part epoxy putty, to an anatomical art figure?

i understand the joints would be frozen, and folks modify existing small scale figures, but am troubled by the cloth clothing on ready available figures (monkey depot - for example)

thanks
  10. franck edet A Fixture

Canada
    Hi !, not sure about your question but : if you want to represent a person in action, yes you will have to "dress" the character ... historical or fantasy
  11. s.e.charles New Member

so is rolled out two part epoxy putty the way to go?

i have no interest in sewing cloth clothes Plus i think it is never looks in scale and throws off the wrong look.
  12. NigelR A Fixture

Most sculptors of figures in all scales use various two-part putties, so yes, this approach would definitely work for "action" figures. Just use the figure as a mannequin, freeze it in the position you want and then sculpt the clothing on top. You can use the wide range of weapons and accessories available for these figures so that you don't have to sculpt everything.

Mikey Tavarez gets some pretty good results using "real" clothing, see https://www.planetfigure.com/threads/the-amazing-modelling-of-mikey-tavarez.427439/. However, I take your point and agree that using material can always look out of scale.
    Peter R G Browne, Nap and s.e.charles like this.
  13. F Troop Active Member

United-States
    For me 75mm seems the ideal (especially resin) based on my aging eyes, amount of detail, cost and how long it takes me to paint a figure. 54 mm used to be my favorite but they shrinking as I get older.

For the vote - gott'a go with 90mm. 120mm is too costly, too heavy if metal and take to darn long to paint!!!
    Vincent Z and Peter R G Browne like this.
  14. Nap Moderator

England
    Thanks for the replies ...this thread is over 6 years old !

Interesting to read comments

Nap
    Blind Pew likes this.
  15. Peter R G Browne PlanetFigure Supporter

Australia
    I'm tossing up on this as well, I have some 75mm and 90mm but would like to standardise, as I think homogeneity in scale presents a nicer display in the cabinet.

Since I'm hooked on getting Poste Militaire Napoleonic figures, then I think 90mm is my choice.
    Nap likes this.
  16. Union brigade Member

Denmark