1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Large scales

Discussion in 'General Figure Talk' started by Nap, May 4, 2017.

?

DO YOU PREFER 90 MM OR 120 MM IN FULL FIGURES ( IRRESPECTIVE OF PERIOD/SUBJECT ) ?

Poll closed May 18, 2017.
90 mm 16 vote(s) 43.2%
120 mm 21 vote(s) 56.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Ong Active Member

I used to follow 1/35, but now I prefer 1/24 to 1/16. I just find 1/35, even with 3D scanning and sculpting, to be too small to see any of the details, and as I get older, I don't have the patience to fiddle with such small 1/35 parts that are hard to glue and paint. I mean it, when it comes to figures, sometimes size really does matter and the larger it is, the more impressive it is.

What I think is needed are more accessory sets, guns and gear, for 1/24 to 1/16th scale figures. Decades later and there still aren't any 1/20 or 1/16 Sci-Fi gear and weapons sets, which really hinders kitbashing and customization. Sure, there's Shapeways and one can commission someone to make these things now with 3D software and 3D printing, but still, nothing really beats resin offerings.
  2. Ronaldo Active Member

Greater detail in the larger scales , that is what should happen but not always the case, by the time you get to 200mm you should be seeing detail on buttons ect I commonly see sabres without fluting , cuff just blocked out , chin scales and badges just fudged up.

Some of this comes down to casting restrictions , where Metal models scores is that B L comes from a school of engravers
  3. Ned Ricks Active Member

United-States
    Smaller scales allow for more finished items in the display case at home. But, IMHO, larger scales, especially busts in 1/9 or so, allow for some nice work on faces, eyes and such.
  4. NeilW Active Member

United-Kingdom

Nah... 6mm scale busts (not 2 or 3mm, that would be silly) ;)
  5. Rob Brown Member

United-States
    I actually prefer 1/9th scale but 1/16 is good also
    MCPWilk likes this.
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States

I prefer 90 mm. figures.......