1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Large scale Confederate Officers.

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Mike S., Jul 1, 2011.

1. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Some larger scale Confederates.

The first is an older figure of John B. Gordon (Can't remember the maker), with the legs shortened (they were WAY too long):
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

The second is an older Michael Roberts figure of Joshua Chamberlain, converted into a Confederate Officer:

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

BELOW:
    Box art label of the original figure I converted the above example from. I wasn't too crazy about the appearance of the sculpt as is, so I decided to tweak and adapt it:

[IMG]
    gordy, Trep, poch mahone and 4 others like this.
  2. kathrynloch Active Member

United-States
    That's fantastic Mike! Great work!
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    The conversion does look more natural, and not as staid as the original.
    More superb work Mike,
    Carl.
  4. Ferris A Fixture

Stunning work on the conversion Mike! The pose looks much better than that of the original.

Cheers,
    Adrian
  5. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Many thanks guys!
  6. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great paintwork.
    Pictures are better know.

Marc
  7. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Cheers Marc.
  8. btavis Active Member

United-States
    Isn't the Gordon one the one that Don Troiani sued Warriors (I think) for copying one of his paintings?
  9. bonehead A Fixture

United-States
    Yes, I think so. It was sculpted by Michael Daley. Nice figure. Too bad Troiani had to be that way......
  10. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Yes that was the one that Troiani sued over....and I lost some respect for him over that. I don't think I would buy his books or prints now. I always thought that was pushing copyright enforcement to the limit and Warriors could have taken him on if they'd had deep enough pockets. I have one that is 1/10 painted in my cabinet. Great sculpt.

Colin
  11. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    As someone who earns my income from freelance illustration work, I can understand why Don was a bit upset about being plagiarized. It would have been proper protocol for Mr Daley to have contacted him for permission to use his intellectual property before producing a sculpted copy of his work. Especially so since it is a direct copy of the illustration.

Never the less, since his popularity as an artist is fed in no small degree by reenactors, history buffs, militaria collectors etc. who are also quite often also purchasers of Military Miniatures, it would have been in his best interest to accommodate production of the figure rather than threaten a knee jerk lawsuit.

Colin,

Do you think that you might be willing to post some photos of your rendition of this figure? I'd love to see it.

Cheers.
  12. kathrynloch Active Member

United-States
    Interesting. Derivative works is a quagmire when it comes to legal copyright. As a published author, I know how I would feel if someone plagiarized my book. But I must admit surprise at the reaction. Of course, running to court right out of the blocks is in bad form but perfectly within the man's rights.

The back story sounds quite intriguing.
  13. rheath Active Member

South-Africa
    Now that is well done Mike ! now that you have sized him correctly, well done !!:cool:
  14. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    I fully agree with the defense of intellectual property but I am not sure that the 2D = 3D argument works. For me, Warriors figure cannot be a direct copy of Troiani's because Troiani did not represent the rear or sides while Warriors did. While Warriors figure is cleary inspired by Troiani's, the sides and rear are original work. So I think plagiarism is too strong a word in this case. But then I am just a dumb accountant, not a lawyer.

There is an interesting link to a discussion on this very matter on a 1/6 scale modelling forum. (Hopefully I am not breaching any rules by posting this. I checked but did not see anything. If so Moderator please remove). http://www.onesixthwarriors.com/for...itbashing-photos-plates-copyright-issues.html The second to last post tells the history of the Troiani threat and Keith Rocco posts in this string.

I also think threatening to sue was a dumb business decision as it probably lost him some fans and some sales in the community. He probably would have gotten sales from the excellence of the Warriors figure if it had really taken off. I recall some fairly anti-Troiani posts on some sites at the time.

Mike - I would be happy to post it if it were done. I have painted it 3X and stripped it 3X. I know there is another excellent copy in someone's vbench but I can not recall whose. It will be a job of work to go through all the vbench posts to find it. Bill Horan did one too I think.

I never had a problem with the leg length but now that you point it out I will check before paint job # 4 happens.

Colin
  15. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    No rules broken here Colin :D

The fact that folks have to ask me or the staff that is troubling, do other sites have rules against linking???

If they have rules about not linking, they have no reason being on the internet, not linking breaks the internet!
  16. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Just sensitive about cross linking to other sites as I have seen rules against it in some militaria sites where they might be more competitive. I just wanted to be sure.

Thanks Gordy!

Colin
  17. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Thanks for the links. I belong to that forum as well, but missed that discussion.

They cite Keith Rocco as the artist in question, but I could have sworn that the John B. Gordon image was from a Don Troiani painting as mentioned previously in this thread.
  18. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
  19. btavis Active Member

United-States
  20. ACCOUNT_DELETED A Fixture

Canada
    Interesting - I don't recall this deal being part of the discussion at the time. If the arrangement existed at the time it would have been logical for him to have referred to it. The existence of a formal exclusive deal with another company certainly would have been a reasonable explanation for his position.

Colin