1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Landsknecht

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Figure Mad, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    I have been struggling finishing off the repaint on the Tommy bust, so decided, to have a go at this little beast of a bust from Yury Serebryakov. and what a beauty this is turning out to paint , I have been thinking of how to paint this one since I bought it..... I just hope the new methods have worked, let me know what you think.....

Dave

Attached Files:

2. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Beautiful? Very much so.
    Carl.
  3. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Awesome flesh tones Dave.
  4. pmfs A Fixture

Portugal
    Hello,

good looking face:)
    Thanks for sharing!
  5. Jeff T A Fixture

Australia
    Beautiful work Dave, those eyes are amazing!!

Cheers,
    Jeff.
  6. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Beautiful painting definately . What are the new methods ? heheheh

Costas
  7. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Thanks guys

Very much appreciated....

Costas my friend, I have tried to emulate skin by using satin varnish within the base colours after preshading, then building these layers up, the skin is supposed to be closer to the human skin tones rather than pushing the shading. there is a lot more to do to the beard and the hair as of yet, but i think the skin tones are getting there, I will add a little more tonal value to the nose area.

Dave
  8. Diegoff A Fixture

Spain
    Great work!
    The eyes are very well done and fit with the expression perfectly.
  9. bobparker Member

England
    Very nice work Dave,
    Bobp
  10. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Dave i think that this procedure has given you really realistic skin tones, and i would be really interested (if its possible ) to get a hint on your tones and mixes !

Thanks and congratulations

COSTAS
  11. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Dave,
    This is what i'm looking for in all those years i'll be painting. LIFELIKE SKINCOLORS.
    At Euro i'm always wondered why people painted faces like coalminers???
    So, i know that you paint with acrylic, but i believe some of the technique's used can be done with oils also. I hope you share your technique with us.
    One remark......if i may: I find the bridge of the nose to white compared with the rest of the skincolors. Maybe a half tint lower will do.

Marc
  12. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very nice start Dave.This is one masterful sculpt, and your techniques have really brought out the best in it!

Jay H.
  13. carl reid A Fixture

England
    Dave, this is fantastic mate!!!

You really have captured the subtle and natural tones of the face!!!

Excellent mate!

Carl
  14. frank h Well-Known Member

England
    Hi Dave
    Very nicely done

I agree with Marc prefer more natural looking skin tones
    rather than the forced white highlights

A fine paint job ... interesting using satin varnish in the mix ... will try that

Frank
  15. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

I thank you very much indeed, I hope to show more images as I go along, thanks again

Dave
  16. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dave,

As others have noted, you've created a very natural and lifelike skin tone on this bust. Congratulations.

I'm interested to learn more about the satin finish and the proportions you use when you mix it with the acrylics.

Like Marc, I don't personally like the high contrast painting style that seems so popular these days. I much prefer to see faces painted the way you've done this one.
  17. Figure Mad Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    Hi Guys

Thanks again, I have to say that the technique is not set in stone, just using the Andrea flesh set, Distilled water, Vallejo Glazing medium and Vallejo Satin varnish. the mixed colour from the flesh set - 25% and 25% of each of the other three to give the colour needed, to paint then when you add a touch of the next shade or highlight, add along with a touch if the water and blend as you would normally, you can only try it if works for you, then great. I am not saying its foolproof, but it worked for me on this bust......... I just hope that when I paint the second version it works just as well......

Dave
  18. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Dave,
    Beautiful painted face!
    Looking forward to see the rest painted.

Cheers,
    Marcel.
  19. Mike S. Well-Known Member

United-States
    Outstanding work. If you were struggling with the piece as you say, it certainly doesn't show!
  20. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Dave,

Thanks for your response; I was intrigued about the Vallejo Glazing Medium. Is this some kind of secret product as I've never seen it in the Vallejo paint stand at my local hobby shop. What does it do and how does it help with glazing? I'm very curious to get your views on this as I'd be keen to try it if it improves blending with acrylic glazes.