1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Landskenecht bust

Discussion in 'Completed Figures' started by Alex, Feb 1, 2020.

1. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Acrylic paint as usual. A pure joy to paint ! _2010029.jpg _2010031.JPG _2010032.JPG _2010034.JPG _2010036.JPG _2010037.JPG _2010038.JPG
    razor, b00gie, Oda and 13 others like this.
  2. Paul Kernan A Fixture

Canada
    Beautiful work, Alex(y)
    Alex likes this.
  3. MoboSchreuder A Fixture

Excellent paintwork

Mobo
    Alex likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Alex

What a pleasure to see your version the pattern work looks great and I like the texture work on the white undershirt and the headwear effects

Never had this ..but tempted !

Why not put a piece into FOTM as well

Thanks for sharing

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Oda and Alex like this.
  5. JABERWOCKY Active Member

great work alex, love your clothing textures and painting of the chains , a terrifiv job overall.
    Alex likes this.
  6. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Consummate skill...............world class painting !!

Mike
    Oda and Alex like this.
  7. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Thank you guys for the comments ! The shirts were made of linen and kept as white as possible in the 16th century. Of course, if you paint a shirt pure white in this scale, it will look weird to say the least so that's why I did add some ochre, warm grey and brown here and there. The thread was over exaggerated to make it pop a little bit, in contrast with the smooth red velvet.
    Nap, hall-moye@msn.com and fogie like this.
  8. fogie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    White textiles were notoriously difficult to produce at the time of this figure - involving months of immersion in milk and even more
    time bleaching in sunlight. Consequently it was highly expensive and the choice of only the very wealthy. It was not until the late 18th
    century that a cheap bleaching agent - alum - was discovered and patented, which managed to reduce costs. So your choice of colour
    not only looks good artistically, but fits historically as well. Besides..........a good painter sees colour in relative terms rather than definitively,
    so adjusts tints and shades accordingly. The results of all this, Alex, are so evident here, which makes it so damn good.

Mike
    Fantomas, Oda, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  9. Wayneb A Fixture

United-States
    Exceptional paintwork Alex...…..very impressive.

Wayne
    Alex likes this.
  10. Sven A Fixture

Whenever you think you have already seen the best possible version of a figure, somebody comes along and sets the standard even higher. I guess that is part of the fun of our hobby. Fantastic work. I love his white shirt. Hyper realistic.
    Oda, Nap and Alex like this.
  11. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Thanks Mike for your comments. I love the research aspect of our hobby as well. Interestingly, the V&A museum has some real treasures including this pristine example of a XVIth century shirt.. lovely craftsmanship image.jpeg
    Oda, fogie, Nap and 1 other person like this.
  12. Nap Moderator

England

Hi Alex

Yiur right research is a real enjoyable part of the hobby especially finding gems like that shirt...incredible survivor with beautiful detail stitching as well

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Oda likes this.
  13. Gary_81 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    I have always loved this bust and your work on it is breathtaking. The fabrics are clearly amazingly painted but for me the best part is the detail in the eyes as this just draws me into the piece as a whole.

Gary
    Alex likes this.
  14. HansDig A Fixture

Netherlands
    Masterpiece and you make it all sound so easy but...as PF is a place for admiring ánd learning we could all benefit from an extensive SBS on the techniques you used for this figure :notworthy:.
    Alex likes this.
  15. Alex A Fixture

Canada
    Good idea Hans !

My friend, Alex from Castle miniatures told me the exact same thing the other day when we met in my studio.
    I usually do not take many pictures while doing a project because I can't wait to see the end result ! However, I will try my best during the next project and it will be easier for me to do it, having improved my setup for taking pictures.

Cheers
    Alex

HansDig likes this.
  16. KenBoyle PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Wow Alex! Impressive! (y)(y)(y)

Cheers,
    Ken
    Alex likes this.
  17. ModelCellar A Fixture

That is absolutely AMAZING ! The face is fantastic. The texture of the leather/suede hat is beautiful. And that pattern... WOW !!
    Paul
    Alex and Oda like this.
  18. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Thats a stunning piece of painting.

marc
    Alex likes this.
  19. Alfonso Floren Well-Known Member

Muy buena
    Alex likes this.