1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Landscaping bases

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by carpo, Jun 17, 2004.

1. carpo Member

Australia
    Hi all -
    this is the base I will be using for my Pegaso Samurai project.
    Once again I have some questions.
    What sort of materials do people out
    there use to spruce up a base which
    is looking a little drab (like this one)?

Carpo

Attached Files:

• tree.JPG
      tree.JPG
      File size:
      31.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Hi Carpo,
    I think your base looks great. Especially the tree. Is it from a real branch/root or something you bought or made?
    One thing I've done is use Woodland Scenics products. They have several different types of leaf products for a variety of color. You can usually find it in the Railroad section at the hobbyshop.
    Cheers,
    Craig
  3. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Carpo,

I think your groundwork looks really nice. I have just purchased some new items from John at http://www.milminwh.com/accessories_%26_groundwork.htm I purchased natural sea weed from EVD and the real grass from Dioramaterials. They both look really nice and I am looking forward to using them.

Joe
  4. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Hudson Allen has some nice leaves and other stuff that can be sprinkled around.
  5. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The base looks good so far Paul. I would go to a lighter color and dry brush the ground some to give it texture and depth and have the gravel and stones stand out some more. A mixture of tall weeds and grass would really add realism.
  6. Mongo Mel Active Member

United-States
    Keith's right..it's Hudson Allen that makes the leaves I'm talking about, not Woodland Scenics. I like their Ivy product too. Looks cool growing up a tree trunk.
    Craig
  7. amherbert Member

Hi

To add some life to the base for my Ensign of the Buffs I used some dried flowers. I bought a floral arrangement at the local Goodwill that had lots of good looking little flowers and bits. I used clippings from that. I forget if Bob Tavis had suggested that route, but I stole the idea from someone along the way!

The tree and other stuff look great by the way.

Andy

[IMG]
  8. Jim Hockett Member

Paul,
    Try looking through the dried flower section at a craft store. It will cost a little up front, but you will get enough material to last a long time. As with most other materials, it will need a little repainting to blend in. Here is a base that I did using Celuclay, static grass and dried plants.
    [IMG]
    Jim
  9. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    Also, wanted to mention that Wood land scenics has some good "field grass". It comes in multiple stalks about 4 inches long. They can be left as is or cut up.
    They make nice additions either in clumps or smaller individual strands.

Keith
  10. carpo Member

Australia
    Hi all - thanks for the ideas
    I used a small shrub that I removed from my garden as a tree - many Australian native plants have a lovely stringy bark that has a nice scale look to them. This example is actually quite large and when the figure goes on the base it will give you a better idea of the size.

I really wanted to scatter some leaves on the ground - I tried cutting out individual leaves from metal foil but you can Imagine how tedious that is!!!!
    Looks like I'm off to the model railroad shops!
    And I like the dried flower idea too - thanks for the pics guys - it really makes it easy to see what you are talking about and the great results you have achieved.

Guy - dry brushing is gonna happen soon - but the paint was still wet when I took the photos.

Think I will dry brush some areas green to get a mossy look too.
    Thanks again to all of you,
    Carpo
  11. KeithP Active Member

United-States
    I tried using pieces of dried parsley flakes in a 54mm scene and they just did not look right even after a few washes and db.
  12. Pete_H New Member

Paul,
    You may also want to take a look at the Lost Batallion's website since they carry some good groundwork materials. Their website is www.tlbminiatures.com
  13. amherbert Member

Hi again

I've used tea leaves for leaves. I have some old bags of tea - herbal, regular, whatever - and I use a scattering of them for ground cover and leaves.

That's some of what's on the base for my figure above.

Cheers
    Andy