1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Lakota Warrior Mounted 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Dec 2, 2005.

1. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Hello Guy,

This is a wonderfull boxart, Linda and the collector could be satisfied.
    Now, up to the two other boxarts, don't forget to post sometimes, and then paint what you wanna paint.
    Great work.

marc
  2. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    GREAT JOB on the box-art, Guy (y) (y) !!! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  3. diosytexas Member

England
    great job all round guy. i love the horse. dave.
  4. EasyOff Member

Wicked nice job Guy, I'm proud to know ya. I haven't read anything yet so I'm somewhat uninformed, but do the white spots represent hail and the warriors ability to take this punishment from the weather? Its always been a mystery to me.

Regards,
    John- EasyOff
  5. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Well Guy, knowing what it took to get this elaborate piece done, I have to say it was well worth the effort!!! I have to admit, one of the only things I haven't seen in person yet is the final feathers you added to the horse and the rider. I think they add such a nice touch of motion to the piece! Over all another fantastic effort! The hail stones on the warrior look cool too. Now get to work on that Landsknecht!! :lol: ;)

Jay H.
    OKC
  6. Roc Active Member

United-States
    As I said many times before, nobody paints Indians like you do,good work my friend.

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  7. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    VERY impressive Guy. Very impressive indeed. I have enjoyed watching you put this box art together. I'm sure you did as well ;) .

Jim Patrick
  8. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback guys...........I appreciate the kind words.
  9. Major_Goose Well-Known Member

Greece
    Nice work Guy . Lots of work for such a big kit !
  10. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi
    I just wanted to say thanks for this article. I have just started working on the original kit and all it has for guidance are 2 pictures. Your article has given me a real sense of how best to work with the figure and also given me some great tips on assembling large resin pieces, and on how I might go about painting this model.

I can't thank you enough for this.
    Regards,
    Gerry
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You welcome Gerry. Keep us posted on your progress and if you have any questions, just post them.
  12. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Hi Guy,
    I have a couple of questions and I wondered if you could help. In the kit there are 3 items that I can't figure out where to place on the model. I can't make out where they go from all the photos either. They are the knife (which seems difficult to place because it is completely flat on one side) and 2 matching items that look a little like beaver tails. Can you enlighten me? Also, what is the long plank with the discs on it for and how did you attach it to the back of the head?
    Many thanks,
    Gerry
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Hi Gerry,
    I'll dig out the photos I took of this figure and see if I can give you a better idea about the knife and head ornaments.

Guy
  14. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    I think these photos should help you with your questions Gerry.

Knife Location

001.JPG

Above you see the knife attached to his left side on the belt angled so the handle faces forward. Honestly, this was the only place I could see to attach it. It was the warrior's choice whether he wore the knife on the right side or left side.

Headdress and Concho belt.

002.JPG

003.JPG

The Concho belt was more than likely made from trade cloth and was the next to last to fasten to the head. You have to mentally work from the inside out to determine which part is to be fastened first and work outwards. The long belt droops down and is fastened again where it touches the horse blanket. I dry-fitted this piece several times to determine exactly where the belt touched the blanket, marked it with a pencil and later applied the 2 part epoxy to both fastening points and held it in place with my fingers until the epoxy set.

You'll notice the upper portion of the Concho belt fastens to the bottom of the head feathers, which need to be fastened first.

004.JPG

006.JPG

007.JPG

The above photos were some extra's that I am including showing different angles of the parts in question.

Hopes this helps you Gerry.
    kaz6120 likes this.
  15. gerryj199 PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Thanks Guy.
    These help a lot! I have fitted the beaver tail pieces on the hip where you have the knife since they look like a continuation of the shaggy strands that run down either side of the breastplate, so I will have to find another place for the knife. The concho belt detail and the close up of the torso are a great help too. Sometimes I wish these kits had instructions like the old Airfix kits. :) That would be a help for sure. I suppose with a kit like this I can make some mistakes in placement as for some things there is no one way of doing it.

It's also great to see your painting work close up. It's just amazing. The tones and shades are really superb and provide real inspiration.
    Thanks again for all your help on this and for sharing your work.
    Best regards,
    Gerry
  16. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Excellent finish Guy.
    Carl.(y)
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Carl.
  18. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Guy,
    This is the first I have seen of this unless my memory is going :eek:. It is a fabulous SBS and great photo's to go along with it. The size makes this an awesome piece of work.
    Thanks for all the effort you put into this.
    Hope that you were out of the range of the fires.
    Cheers
    John
  19. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks John,
    We were several miles from the closest fire yesterday. When we went outside you could see and smell the smoke.