1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Lakota Warrior Mounted 120mm

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Guy, Dec 2, 2005.

1. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Boy.........that Floquil primer really shrinks around the figure :lol: :lol: :lol:

[IMG]
  2. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    :lol: :lol: :lol: Guy,that's a really GOOD one !!! But seriously,that's a GREAT SBS that you got there,my friend,and I'll be looking forward to the next step. With regards to the "How Many Beaver" topic,that's a good idea to have a mountain man in the scene;I wish I'd thought of it myself. So,like Dan mentioned,if you have a specific image in mind,I'd really appreciate the "heads-up". Thanks and cheers !
    Kenneth.
  3. Jim Patrick Active Member

United-States
    :lol: :lol: No kidding. Better hurry up and spray some on that horse or you'll end up with the Indian version of Gulliver's travels! ;)

Seriously, I like the SBS so far. Very clear, well done and photographed! Great job Guy!

Keep it up,
    Jim Patrick
  4. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Kenneth and Jim,

Kenneth - I have quite a few Mountain Man images stored and I will look through them to see what I find for you.
  5. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Guy, I like this step by step, I'm following it closely.
    Have you ever tried automobile gray primer? It doesn't shrink. ;)

Cheers
    Roc. :)
  6. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Roc,
    I actually use and like Floquil primer because it does shrink tightly around the detail without loosing any detail. I use a white Rustoleum primer for white metal patrs that need to be base coated in white.
  7. Joe Hudson Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hey Guy,

This is looking really nice. Pictures are so much better now. Looking forward to seeing more of it. I have always liked this figure.

Joe
  8. EasyOff Member

I'd like to see how you keep those feathers on.
  9. garyjd Well-Known Member

United-States
    Hope that problem never happens to me.

Joking aside this has got to be the most indepth sbs on figure assembly. I'm curious how many folks just satisfy themselves with a little superglue here and there and MAYBE a few pins in the feet of the figure.~Gary
  10. Anders Heintz Well-Known Member

United-States
    Great stuff Guy!

Thanks for taking the time to do this SBS, I know how much extra work it involves.

Looking forward to the next installment!
  11. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks for the feedback John, Gary and Anders.

John - The feathers all have locater holes that show you where the individual feathers go. I take the time to use 5 minute epoxy to fasten each one.......the extra time is worth it.

In the photo below I have used my drill press to drill shallow holes into the neck and the body of the horse for the epoxy to have "tooth" when fastened.

[IMG]

Now I have applied the epoxy much like the steps I did with the main body halves.

[IMG]

The horse head / neck has now been attached to the main body with 5 minute epoxy remembering to puch the epoxy down into each hole I drilled before attaching.

[IMG]

Magic Sculpt has been applied to the seam between the neck and the main body and will be sanded tomorrow.

[IMG]

Now I have swung over to the Indian again and gave the flesh area the 1st coat of 2 coats of my base coat for flesh. The base coat is Humbrol #121. It will get another caot tonight and the flesh will be done tomorrow.

[IMG]

All questions are welcomed.
  12. yeo_64 Well-Known Member

Singapore
    Thanks,Guy,for offering to get me some "Mountain Man" images;I'll be looking forward to it ! Cheers !
    Kenneth.
  13. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    You welcome Kenneth. I'll get some together next and email them to you.

I was talking to Darla, of The Lost Battalion today and she stated she has had numerous phone calls and emails from people asking for this 120mm kit. I can only re-iterate what she has said "Three days after it is finished here, it will be available"

I hope to have it done by Christmas but reallistically......the 1st of the year would be more likely. I hope this sbs will help many overcome the intimidation in doing a horse regardless of the size and enjoy doing ot with the help of a guideline I've provided above.

Guy
  14. Bruno New Member

Hi Guy,

my compliment, you do a very very good worke and a fine job with this figurine!

Just one suggestion. The original figurine had like 90% of all figurines of Lakota warriors women mocassins. The mocassins of men never had a cuff, onlx women mocassins had cuffs. so, if it is a chance perhapes you scrap away the cuffs.

Anyway a excellent worke.

Best regards from Bavaria

Bruno
  15. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    Thanks Bruno for the feedback.

I stopped and took the time to do some research into the moccasins and found moccasins done in both ways both with and without the cuff by many various artists. I guess it goes with what artist you choose for reference. As I am only doing the box art and after talking to the manufacturer about the moccasins we will leave it to the figure painter / modeller to make the change if he feels it needs to be done.

Thanks again,
    Guy
  16. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    In between the news postings and the Figure reviews I still managed to make some progress with the Lakota figure.

This is the horse after the finishing sanding and 2 coats of Floquil spray primer. The tail will be done seperately and attached at a later date.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The Indian has been fleshed and the various other components started. Still alot to do as the beadwork has only just begun and the design needs to be painted on.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

The sheild has been started by locking into a Dremel Vise and using the back as a hand support to paint in the detail of the sheild design.

[IMG]

The design is about half way complete.

[IMG]
  17. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    The Moccasins are also placed into the vise to help give me a steady hand to paint the bead design.

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

More to come later

All questions and comments are welcome
  18. Guy A Fixture

United-States
    For the last couple of weeks I have been working steady on the Lakota Warrior and just took a couple of photos of where he is now.

The last test fit before starting to fasten the Warrior to the horse and then the process of attaching the accessories to the Warrior.

[IMG]

The horse needs the war paint and this will be done in the morning right befor I attach the upper torso to the fastened leg assemble.( They are loose now and just setting on the leg assembly )

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Of course my wife has told me for weeks she had the ultimate tool for my figure painting and gave it to me for Christmas.

[IMG]

Staples "Talking Easy Button"................lol
  19. Roc Active Member

United-States
    Hey Guy, you can sure paint those Indians, looks great.

Looking forward to your next step.

Cheers
    Roc :)
  20. Ernest A Fixture

Venezuela
    Hey Guy, looking good so far, want to see this one finish...
    cheers
    ER