1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

WIP La Hire - Battle of Patay 1429

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Reddo, May 8, 2022.

1. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    This is a work in progress of my first attempt at large scale NMM.
    I've had the bust for a while and have seen many true metal versions so was looking to do something different. It has turned out to be a lot harder than I thought, but I hope I'm on the right track. I have some images of Kirill Kanaevs version, so I have used that for inspiration whilst using my own blending style.
    I have included an image against a wax metal Spartan for comparison.
    Sorry about the orientation - whatever i do with the images they are posting at this angle - not sure how to fix it. They are the right way up in my PC.

IMG_2076.JPG IMG_2076.JPG IMG_2079.JPG IMG_2078.JPG IMG_2080.JPG IMG_2081.JPG
    dmcHobbes, clrsgt, Pedro and 8 others like this.
  2. Stepa Member

New_Zealand
    Looks great.

well done.
    Reddo likes this.
  3. Henk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Great progress. I've not made an attempt at NMM yet. I feel it suits the wargaming/fantasy subjects well, but you are doing it somewhat different, and certainly pulling it off.
    Reddo likes this.
  4. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Peter

Great to see you posting and a bust as well , that's a big piece for NMM , all credit to you , looks good

Like the face and leather straps

The Spartans metal work looks good

Look forward to seeing more (pics sorted)

Happy benchtime

Nap
    Reddo likes this.
  5. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    Did you do that - cheers
  6. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    Thanks - not game to try it on full factual piece - but this is kind of fantasy/reality mix.
    Henk likes this.
  7. clrsgt A Fixture

United-States
    Good progress. Your NMM armor looks. Most interested to learn how you dealt with or are dealing with the technique. Never had any success with NMM myself in any scale, try as I might.
    Reddo likes this.
  8. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    I decided to try to paint what i saw. Stick a helmet in the sun on a cloudy day. see what the reflected sky looks like and paint that with blues grey and white - that was done with paints mixed with retarder so they paint like oils and can be wet blended. Then, once i added the blacking and oxide on the panel lines the effect started to work. The areas where i imagine direct sunlight hitting are painted pure white with scratches of midtone to present a worn look. It really was an exercise in letting go, and just painting a blurry landscape on the armour.
    Nap likes this.
  9. Steve Ski PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Regardless which technique you are using, this looks great. I love that jolly smile he's got going on there. I've never tried NMM either, don't do enough armor tones to work it, but I have several brands of metallic and not all look realistic. Standing by for more.

Cheers, Ski.
    Nap likes this.
  10. Babelfish A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Looks fabulous so far. It's a real character piece and I painted it myself a few years ago. The "traditional" way though, have never mastered NMM.

- Steve
    Nap likes this.
  11. Hobbychick PlanetFigure Supporter

United-States
    Love the bust you’re working on. I’ve admired this piece. What colors did you use to get the leather so well done
  12. Reddo Active Member

Australia
    Nothing too special. Black Leather/Brown Leather/Orange Leather. A few inks to add depth and some khaki yellow for wear.
    Nap likes this.