1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

La Hire Ans Some More

Discussion in 'Brutal Honesty - Critique Center' started by Ineluki, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Hello.
    Not much to say - I present two wip models hoping for some brutal honesty :)
    Models are La Hire and White Models Islamic warrior.
    Do not be gentle ! :)
    Simon

Attached Files:

NickM likes this.
  2. Einion Well-Known Member

I suspect that the reason you haven't gotten any replies so far is that both of these look good as they stand.

I don't have much in the way of critique for you but on the Islamic warrior I did prefer the darker face you had originally. The current version looks a tad pasty to me, but that could be the pics as much as anything.

Just on the rubbed-off paint on the skirts of the figure, is that from handling?

On La Hire, I really like the face and the eyes are full of life. I'm not a fan of painted catchlights where the rest of the model isn't painted the same way but they look like they're done well. The only real thing I would suggest doing on the face is to make the eyebrows and the beard not the same colour as is common on a lot of men; maybe also do a bit of variation within the beard itself.

I presume the helmet isn't finished yet but there's some swirl marks in the paintwork, visible mostly in the side view, some buffing or further paintwork will presumably resolve that.

Hope it helps.

Einion
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Some lovely freehand on the Islamic.
    I think the face is very well done on La Hire.
    Carl.(y)
  4. bagelman1952 Well-Known Member

England
    Very difficult to find fault with either of these pieces. My only comment would be that I think the beard on the La Hire would look better with more variation in colour.
  5. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    Thanks for comments guys.

Me too, but but I recived some serious critique (not on PF), that the skintone wasn't ethnically acceptable. I wasn't woing to repaint the face though, but due to my negligance I sprayed some basecoat on it :/. So, I had to clean the model and paint it's face once more. By this opportunity I cleaned some seam line, which was visible on the very first photo (models right cheek).

Both actually. This is an old model, so the cast is not perfect - lots of gaps to fill, seamlines to remove etc. I did the usual work, but after I had primed the model, a few imperfections showed up. So, I had to remove some primer to fix it, and didn't bother to treat the lower part as a handle :)

It's funny - the eyebrows are painted pretty much in the same manner as the beard, and look different :), I just made the beard more gray, as the sign of his age.
    Anyway, I think the beard and the eyebrows will be revisited :) To be honest, painting realistic looking hair was always a difficulty to me.

And the helmet isn't finished, I should have mentioned it in the first post.

If you are interested, some more pictures of Islamic Warrior.

Attached Files:

Edorta, NickM and hall-moye@msn.com like this.
  6. Einion Well-Known Member

Well I don't know about that, seen some damned dark-skinned desert types in photos. And some of the Orientalist paintings show individuals who are much darker than the norm. Good that you got to fix the mould line though.

You're not the only one! In its way it can be harder to paint realistically than the skin.

Red looks good and the patterns are working well, but in case you didn't spot it there's quite a big variation in the pattern on the hem - smaller and tighter on the left, much more open at the very front on the right.

Einion
  7. Ineluki Active Member

Poland
    I did noticed it... just after finishing the pattern :/. I started from right to left, loosig the symmetry on the way. The problem is that the smallest part is next to the widest, which makes it more noticeable. I not sure if I'm going to repaint it or not - at the moment I'm so not in the mood to do it ...
    Maybe when the model is finished.

Edit:

Oh, now I have to correct it. This damned pattern is now the only thing I can see when looking at the model :facepalm:
  8. Jazz A Fixture

England
    Really nice work. Especially La Hire. I have done this myself and there is a lot of metal tones on this bust. You have done your metal really well, I added leather panels as well as metal to break it up a bit. It worked for me. I look forward to seeing your finished work.