1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

La Gazza Ladra

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Instructorrob, Apr 20, 2009.

1. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Hi there,

my latest effort to do some decend figures, and to bring some humor into my projects. Title is La Gazza Ladra, or The Thieving Magpie in English, after Rossini's opera. Hopefully the story speaks for itsself.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]

Feel free to comment

Robert
  2. John Bowery A Fixture

United-States
    Robert,
    Very well done and a great story.
    Cheers
    John
  3. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Robert,
    nicely balanced little vignette.

Looking at the figures, I can see the flow of the eyelines, from the standing fellow to the cobbler, the cobbler to the dog, the dog to the magpie.

Ok, some feedback.

The magpie, in the photos at least, is partly camouflaged by his natural black colour (real to life) against the dark grey wagon and black panzer jacket. A grey Wehrmacht jacket may have helped the Magpie stand out a bit, and still matched thematically with the dark grey wagon. This would help the viewer(s) pick out the whole story a bit easier.

*Just did some quick checking - Panzer truppen usually wore black uniform as standard, so the uniform is correct. A infantry officer would have had Feldgrau or camouflage tunic, depending on unit and time period

I did have to study the piece, and there is a reward for those who do study it, it's rather clever.

Overall, the cobbler listening to some music, while mending boots, the dog looking at the magpie, while the Panzer officer has a break and enjoys some sun, I can see how all these figures are needed to get to the Magpie about to pinch a shiny Knights Cross!

So composition and finish of figures is superb. The work space is quite good, and the 'dead' spaces are filled in well with logical choices. No need for a panzerfaust in the corner of this vignette, it would be out of place!:D;)

Perhaps some reins or other horse paraphernalia could have been used to help kit out the wagon too, however, a minor quibble.

To sum up, the eye lines flow, the story is simple yet layered (listening to the opera piece "The thieving magpie" as a thieving magpie does his thing) touches on humour and irony, always a challenge which you have accomplished, and the colour palette overall is well balanced and accurate.

Well done
    Cheers
  4. Sambaman Well-Known Member

United-States
    Very fun piece Robert! Thanks for posting it!

Jay H.
    Okc
  5. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Superb composition. A lovely scene full of realism and whimsy.
  6. rej Well-Known Member

Malta
    Lovely piece Robert........

Ray ;)
  7. Kisifer Well-Known Member

Greece
    That's a great piece indeed. I really love all the little details that you've put on!!

Xenofon
  8. davidmitchell A Fixture

Scotland
    A lovely scene which tells a story. Lots of nice details.

Cheers David
  9. Marcel Active Member

Spain
    Robert,
    Excellent created scene with so many little details.

Regards,
    Marcel.
  10. Jehan17 Member

Canada
    Very nice Robert.

Last night during our club meeting we where talking of compositions in dioramas and vignettes and how often there is unnecessary clutter and lack of focus to pieces we see in shows.

Well you have certainly pulled it off and I have sent this page to illustrate the point.

I do have to agree with Janus, at first I did not see the Magpie and only picked it up after a second, closer look. That is something that I don't mind myself as I like having these little surprises but other may not pick that up.

Nice work, it's a great balance between all elements, the composition, the painting, conversion and groundwork are all at the same level. Something we don't always see.

Cheers,

Jean.
  11. gothicgeek A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    very very nice!

i like the rat hidden away too

:)

Mark
  12. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Great and very nice vignette Robert.
    Congratulations.
    If i may ask: Where do you get the wagon with the accessoires.

Marc
  13. Christos Well-Known Member

Greece
    Very nice vignette with lots of details.I like it alot!!
    christos
  14. Instructorrob Active Member

Netherlands
    Thanks for your kind replies, gentlemen.

Janus/Jean: I agree with the remarks about the magpie not standing out too much from the black tankers' coat. However, and lucky for me, in real life the magpie's presence is more evident.

Marc, the wagon is actually the limber from Tamiya's Fieldkitchen. I rebuild it, by replacing several details with scratched parts .
    The accessories are from many different sources. The tins are Plus Model and Verlinden with home made decals (actual contemporary tin labels downloaded from the internet) . Most of the other details are mainly Verlinden. The jacket is from Warriors, I believe and the shirt is a reworked Verlinden offering.
    I improved some items, like the buckets, food tins, food cannisters and bucket by adding wire handles or wing nuts.

Cheers,

Robert