1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed La Belle Dame Sans Merci

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by bistray, May 28, 2014.

1. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Hi all
    Thought i would put up a few pics of a sculpt i completed a few years ago, I got the idea from a painting we have at home, one of my wifes favourates, she bet me i couldnt make it into a model. This was my first foray into the world of sculpting and i was lucky enough to win a gong for it at Euro and it is also available as a kit from Victory Miniatures

[IMG]

The name means Beautiful lady without mecry, so im told my French is crap

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
    JackG, Stephan, Gellso and 17 others like this.
  2. Nap Moderator

England
    I saw this at Euro ...an amazing piece of work and really in keeping with the original picture

Great stuff

Nap
  3. martin tabony Well-Known Member

United-States
    Is she saying "I'm just about to nick your horse"!:)

Martin
  4. MCPWilk A Fixture

United-Kingdom
  5. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Actually Martin shes saying im just about to nick your life :(
    Wings5797 and Gellso like this.
  6. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Whoa ! ... a, 'Pre-Raphaelite', painting has come to life !!! .......This is 'Outstanding'. I really do like this!(y)(y)

Your Wife, has definitely lost the bet. !!!

Regards,

Mark
    Osebor likes this.
  7. Tubby-Nuts2 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Bistray ! .... Could you tell me what scale this piece is cast in ? ... I have a feeling it may well be to small for me ! :nailbiting:

High regards,

Mark
  8. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Mark its 120mm I cant do any smaller
  9. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Beautifull work all around.

Marc
  10. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Thanks Marc
  11. lopee Active Member

Czech-Republic
    It must have been a hard work, took many hours but I think it really worth it. Hope it's in the center of your living room. At least. :)

Martin
  12. zane666 Well-Known Member

New_Zealand
    great work, lots of hours i'm assuming.

Zane
  13. Richie A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Hi Paul,
    Great work and a great source of inspiration, I admire people who can turn a classic painting into another sculpted art form for us modellers. Mind a word of advice if the wife bets you, you can't decorate the whole house in a weekend, you stay well clear mate.;)
    Also nice to see this has been picked up by VM so the other people can enjoy building this. For a "first foray" - truely outstanding work and a well deserved gong.
    I'm also watching your other great project from the sidelines.(y)
    cheers
    Richie
  14. Osebor PlanetFigure Supporter

Spain
    Exquisite! great work.
  15. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Cheers Martin, unfortunately it got wrecked in the casting process, but i have a kit to replace it just havnt had the time to re do it :(

Thanks Zane 63 hours

many thanks Richie, got yer on the decorating lark mate, no way could i do the whole house in a weekend, 18 months perhaps ;) thanks for looking in

Many thanks Osebor

I think looking at this now i could possibly paint it a bit better so perhaps ill have to dig that kit out soon
  16. TADATSUGU Guest

Really must buy one of these - amazing! Thanks to Paul for the original sculpt, and to Victory Miniatures for producing it. Always liked the painting, which is by Sir Frank Dicksee, but I could never face a sculpting project.
    Not technically Pre-Raphalite Mark, but I know what you mean. The Painting is inspired by a Keat's ballard based on a 15th Cent french poem by Alain Chartier.

"I met a lady in the meads,
    Full beautiful—a faery’s child,
    Her hair was long, her foot was light,
    And her eyes were wild.

I set her on my pacing steed,
    And nothing else saw all day long,
    For sidelong would she bend, and sing
    A faery’s song."

Although the model copies the painting brillantly I quite fancy adapting the knight's pose to be a little more naturalistic.
    If you fancy modelling some more victorian paintings Paul - I'd love some J W Waterhouse models -Ha Ha -Maybe you can start your own range! By the way, did you sculpt the horse or adapt another model?
  17. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Many thanks David. i do like Waterhouse especially "The Lady of Shalott " but most of his are paintings of ladies, all very nice, i also like Edmund Leightons work such as "The Accolade " which was another piece i was tempted to do.
    The horse was a conversion
  18. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    A show-stopper. Top, top stuff mate.
  19. Tonton Well-Known Member

United-Kingdom
    How nice is that?

Jeff
  20. bistray Well-Known Member

England
    Cheers Pew and Jeff glad you like it