1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Kusma Krjutschkow, 4th Don Cossack Regiment, 1914

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by Martin Antonenko, Jul 8, 2017.

1. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    20. Day, November 28, 2017

So - I've rescheduled!

It will not continue with the head, but I'm now make the pedestal ready, because a part is still missing.

On the eve of the First World War, the Cossacks, once free, savage and subject only to themselves, their own rules and their own elected leaders, were "tamed" by the Russian state and grouped into eleven tightly organized Cossack armies (Cossack Hosts / Kasachi Woiskije).

Thus they had become a rapid reaction force, available to the authorities at all times against external and (this is surely the darkest spot in their history!) internal enemies, such as striking workers.

And as with any troop unit in Russia usual (again today!) each Cossack army had its own badge.

It took a while for me to get them all together to show you now:

Amur Cossack Host

[IMG]

Astrakhan Cossack Host

[IMG]

Don Cossack Host

[IMG]

Orenburg Cossack Host

[IMG]

Semirestschenk Cossack Host

[IMG]

Siberian Cossack Host

[IMG]

Transbaikal Cossack Host

[IMG]

Ural Cossack Host

[IMG]

Ussurij Cossack Host

[IMG]

And the two Caucasian Cossack formations, the so-called "Line Cossacks" (they guarded the "line" of the Terek and Kuban rivers, Russia's fragile southern border, against the ever-rebel Caucasian mountain tribes):

Kuban Cossack Host

[IMG]

Terek Cossack Host

[IMG]

In addition, I list here the "Personal Convoy of the Gussudar (Self-Governor) and Emperor", as the official name of the Tsar's bodyguard, which consisted of handpicked Cossacks from the Caucasus. There was a Terek-Sotnia (Hundreds) and a Kuban-Sotnia.

And of course, the "Konvoij" had its own badge ...:

[IMG]

Below the level of badges of the Cossack Hosts as a whole, there was a sheer number of badges for sub and troop units, regiments, etc.

So the Don Cossacks had their own artillery units - they wore for example the Don badge with added cannon barrels ...:

[IMG]

The Amur Cossacks were not only riders, but also sailors and manned and maintained their own fleet formation on the huge river, the so-called "Amur flotilla", which of course had its own badge:

[IMG]

And - last example:

The Caucasian Cossack Hosts of Terek and Kuban also had their own joint artillery unit (mountain guns), which were formed by teams from both Cossack armies together. Of course, even with its own badge ...:

[IMG]

All these badges were made of solid sterling silver during the tsarist period and were gold plated by hand and enamelled. You had to buy them from jewelers who had to show the state a special permission to make them!

Even then, these things were quite rare and expensive - and were therefore worn only by Cossacks who could afford it - mainly by officers and usually only for parade uniform.

I've scrolled the internet:
    Currently (today) is offered in the entire German-speaking area, only one of these Cossack badges - and so I would like to have one, but I have to cry softly conclude that the price exceeds my financial means by far!

As I said, the advertisement is from today ...:

[IMG]

Sure, you can buy cheap copies for well under 50 euros in Russia, mostly made of painted metal ...:

[IMG]

But what should I do with such a peace of sh..!

**to be continued next post**
  2. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Incidentally, this colleague carries such a copy ...:

[IMG]

My friend Heinz helped me out of trouble and sculpted a miniature copy of the Don Cossack badge (he even attached two copies of resin to the bust):

[IMG]

Today I have primed one of These badges whereby the good quality of the sculp comes really clear ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Now it is up to me to make something reasonable from it with the brush!

Cheers
  3. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

Catching up a bit

Great recovery on the base ...think I would have found another!

You are one very lucky guy having Heinz sculpt the badge it looks amazing ..looking forward to seeing the artwork on it

Nap
    anstontyke likes this.
  4. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    21. Day, November 29, 2017

What can I say?

Painting orders and medals is child's play against this badge!

Incidentally, the emblem I just painted is the old coat of arms from the tsarist era of the Cossack capital Novocherkassk in the Don area ...:

[IMG]

Today it looks a bit different, although the old coat of arms components are still preserved ...:
    [IMG]

What do you all mean? Let it be...?

[IMG]

Cheers
    KenBoyle, Blind Pew, Borek and 3 others like this.
  5. Nap Moderator

England
    Hi Martin

Think I will stick to medals and orders !

Like the progress ...it's going to to be very difficult to know if it's not the original when finished

A great addition to the piece

Following with interest

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    anstontyke and Martin Rohmann like this.
  6. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    22. Day, November 30, 2017

"What did I just get into ...?"

That's my sentence of the day I sighed, thought, mumbled a hundred times today - and cursed aloud!

This little badge is pretty much the hardest Thing that ever comes under the brush! When painting the tiny numbers on the "Georgsribbon" I almost broke my paws, until they looked like they are now in the picture ...:

[IMG]

Tomorrow I still have the three black stripes on the orange band before me - and if I want to do it correctly, even the - even thinner - silver bezels.

Cheers
  7. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    You can do it Martin, good luck. (y)
    anstontyke and napoleonpeart like this.
  8. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    23. Day, December 1, 2017

Earlier, I first revised half of the two dates again - they have now again become a little smaller and stand evenly.

Then I continued to paint.

And what can I say: So very slooooow starts the badge to look similar to the original!

Once photographed only with natural light ...:

[IMG]

And once with additional artificial light (ceiling lamp) ...:
    [IMG]
    Cheers
  9. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

I can well imagine the words being said whilst painting but boy is the brushwork looking good , I just love all the details you do , a veritable bucket full of information all translated to the model ...great stuff

Keep at it ..the end result will be stunning and then back to the model !

Happy painting

Nap
    anstontyke and Martin Rohmann like this.
  10. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    Tanks für your Kind words, Nap!

---------------------------------------------------

And here we go again...:

24. Day, December 4, 2017

Slowly I turn with my Doncossack badge on the home straight!

Today I made the wreath of silver, which runs around the thing.

First, a thin coat of heavily diluted silver paint. Then let it dry.

Next I mix silver and black (about 1: 1) into a very watery broth, from which I take only a little bit on the brush tip and go carefully over the silver.

The capillary effect does the rest: The dark mixture runs into deep and deepest spots - and the relatively boring silver wreath suddenly becomes something exciting, with optical depth and "used" effect.

Here is a picture of this step:

The left side is already treated as described with the broth, the right side not yet! The difference is obvious ...:

[IMG]

The wreath around the badge is the way - as well as the original! - not symmetrical! On the left we see stalked laurel, on the right oak leaves!

I did not specifically point this out to Heinz when I sent him a picture template - but he noticed it and did a great job!

After the broth has also dried, I have "brushed" certain raised parts of the leaves as well as the laurels on the left and the acorns on the right again very carefully, each with a trace of pure silver on the almost dry brush tip.

Comes quite nice, I think !

Another photo with natural light ...:

[IMG]

And one with artificial light ...:

[IMG]

Now missing at the pond still the remaining work:
    The crown and the tsar monogram above in "gold", the side edge under the wreath in black (to make it visually disappear, the original badge was a semi-relief) and a clear coat for all parts enamelled in the original.

Tomorrow!

Cheers
    KenBoyle, Dan Morton, Borek and 3 others like this.
  11. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

I take my hat off to you it's looking great and so much detained work ..certainly going to add that something extra to the finished piece

A fine big of sculpting from Heinz

Thanks for sharing

Nap
    Borek, Martin Rohmann and anstontyke like this.
  12. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    wow martin, just caught up with this thread. what a great piece of work. you have really captured the horse fur and fetched it to life.
    i love all the historical info you supply with your sbs's and am learning loads about a group of people that i did not know much about.

tony
    Martin Rohmann likes this.
  13. Dan Morton A Fixture

United-States
    Wow! I just picked my chin up from the floor. Just outstanding, Martin!

All the best,
    Dan
    napoleonpeart and anstontyke like this.
  14. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    25. Day, December 5, 2017

Ready with the badge!

First of all, I took up the hint of a friend and made the silver of the surrounding wreath much darker. Wash with a mixture of black and dark brown (about 1:1), then leave to dry and brush dry with a mixture of silver and black (again about 1:1).

Then I painted the tsar monogram and the Romanov crown on top with gold - and darkened it with black brown again.

The now much darker silver of the wreath has the advantage that you can see the monogram on it well and it is not optically lost on the silver ...!

Thirdly, the side parts below the sculpt were painted in deep black, so that they later disappear visually - mounted on the base - and look like a half-relief like the original...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

As I said: Ready!

[IMG]

Tomorrow I will glue that badge to the socle...
  15. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    26. Day, December 6, 2017

With my all-purpose weapon "Stabilit Express" I just glued the badge to the socle ...:

[IMG]

While I was struggling with some of the tiny details last week, I wondered:
    "Why are you idiot actually doing such a Sh ... effort, just to beautify a pedestal, where later eh 'no one looks at anymore ...?"

But now when the result is in front of me, I have to say that every damn second of time was right!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Cheers
  16. billyturnip A Fixture

England
    It was definitely worth the extra effort Martin. (y)
  17. anstontyke A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    i have to agree with roger, it has certainly been worth the extra effort. this is looking really impressive.

tony
  18. Blind Pew A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    I have really enjoyed following this thread. VERY informative. Thanks Martin.
  19. Martin Antonenko A Fixture

Germany
    27. Day, December 7, 2017

Today I started with the head of my Cossack!

First he became - as always! - washed thoroughly to remove any residue that might be in the way of adhesion of primer and paint later.

Then I stuck my head on a cork - just strong enough to paint it, but loose enough that I can get it off again later without breakage ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

Before priming there are still three steps necessary:

First, it is to eliminate transport damage to the cap shield ...:

[IMG]

And second:

If we look closely at such an original "Furashka" (peaked cap) of a Don Cossack, then it is noticeable that this headgear was/is made of relatively rough fabric!

[IMG]

[IMG]

So it's up again to Jo Sonja, respectively his Texture-Paste...:

[IMG]

With this paste, I have made the cap "fabric" just nice rough, with details such as piping, storm straps, Kokarde, seams and cap shield were carefully omitted ...:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

In addition, this stuff joins wonderfully, a few small bumps on the cap ...

[IMG]

...... to fill, which otherwise would have to be dragged away ...:

[IMG]

Well - now the paste is allowed to cure until tomorrow, then it is primed ...
    Cheers
  20. Nap Moderator

England
    Martin

Catching up ...again !!!!

CONGRATULATIONS that badge is amazing and mounted on the base is just wonderful , the horse looks great

That texture paste us certainly being used well

Following with more interest than ever !!!

Nap
    Martin Rohmann and anstontyke like this.