1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

Completed Critique Kurt Meyer, LAH Kharkov

Discussion in 'vBench (Works in Progress)' started by PANZERSCHRECK, Jan 30, 2010.

1. PANZERSCHRECK Member

Germany
    Kurt Meyer LAH Kharkov, Alpine Miniatures (1:35)

This is my first figure I have painted lights and shadows. Because of this, the figure is solely for learning.

So please, give me some feedback to learn more... Thanks!

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]
  2. jcichon Active Member

United-States
    Well to be honest you need to have a lot more highs and shadows. You have chosen a color that is difficult to do and I don't see much in transitions. Your face looks as if there are no shadows or highlights. You do have a nice start but you need to have much more in highlights and shadows. I could sit here and tell you it looks great but I think you want an honest critique. Your painting is not bad but building on your transitions will help you a lot.
  3. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    Very neat painting, as Jason said highlights and shadows needed.
    Carl.
  4. gordy Well-Known Member

United-States
    I like the warm whites and cold whites on the coat and trousers (y)
  5. Barke02 Active Member

United-Kingdom
    Looking good Joachim!

Be careful with the colour of Meyer's moustache though, remember he was only 33 at the time of the Kharkov battles, and unlikely to be that colour grey.

Cheers,
    Jon.
  6. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Joachim,

I agree with Jason. Deeper shadows and lighter highlights will create greater contrast which will help bring out all the little details and wrinkles in the clothing and the face. It's not an easy thing to master, but you have the basic skills and now it just comesdown to practice, and more practice. Good luck.
  7. PANZERSCHRECK Member

Germany
    Many thanks for your honest critique. That´s what is needed to become better!
    You are right, with highlights, shadows and the absentee of transitions.

Jonathan, thank you for your advice. I did this mistake because the box- art shows it with a greyish moustache.
  8. megroot A Fixture

Netherlands
    Joachim,
    You did a great job with this colors. But as guys said before me, you have to do more shade and highlighting.

Marc
  9. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Looking good , I echo the others, it needs more contrast

cheers

stefano
  10. Jehan17 Member

Canada
    Hello Joachim,

I will echo what our colleagues have said but I wanted to congratulate you on what I think is a very good first effort. Your painting is very neat and precise and I like that you thought to separate the two tones of gray to add interest. The eyes, which most beginners can get wrong are very well painted and centered without that Pop-eye look. Well done.

As for shading and Highlighting I would recommend that you try to do a bit more on your next figure and gradually build from there. Do not retouch this fine start but consider it as "experiment number1" so that with your subsequent figures you "experiment" something else. That way you will be able to look back on your progress.(y)
  11. PANZERSCHRECK Member

Germany
    Thanks Marc, Stefano and Jean for your kind words.

I change now nothing more in it but your critique is a really help for me!

In December 2008 I stared to paint this figure:

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Please, could you say if the shadows and highlights of the face are enought? I cannot really remember which painting method I applied but it was other to the Meyer- method.
  12. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    For me the face looks fine, but I know some others prefer more contrast.
    Carl.
  13. ubbi Active Member

Italy
    Are you using acrylics or also oils ? the face looking good , even if for my liking some more contrast could work better

cheers

stefano
  14. PANZERSCHRECK Member

Germany
    Stefano, I use acrylics for painting.

So, when you say there is more contrast needed (sure also transition!) now I have a "guideline" for my next subjekt, experiment number2, Max Wünsche by AlpineMiniatures.

I´m going to try a new method of painting.
  15. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Joachim i think you are showing good promise with figure painting, i like your second try at the face painting and as for contrast different people have different taste, i like what you have done but i can see others will prefer more contrast.
    I look forward to seeing more of this figure and others, just keep practising and you will get there, you are showing you have good control of the brush so the rest will come.

Steve
  16. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Nice work!
    I like the way you handled the face painting.
    I'm a fan of subtle flash tones over strong high
    contrast ones.
    It wouldn't be too bad to develop your own style.
    :)
  17. PANZERSCHRECK Member

Germany
    I´m going to start to paint the Max- Wünsche- figure this week. Now I have to rethinking first.

Thanks for your comments(y)