1. Copying kits is a crime that hurts original artists & producers. Help support your favorite artists by buying their original works. PlanetFigure will not tolerate any activities related to recasting, and will report recasters to authorities. Thank you for your support!

KOREAN WAR PRIVATE 1/16 "my grandfather"

Discussion in 'Sculpting' started by LAXMAN05, Dec 3, 2009.

1. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    This picture was taken In reading P.A and was hoping to Create it! I know already I have to make a few adjustments to the head. Flatten out around the waist. Let me know what you think. This is an actual picture of my grandfather and his best friend. Hoping to suprise them when I am finished with it! Thanks guys!

Attached Files:

• PIC1.jpg
      PIC1.jpg
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
  2. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Nice talking to you over the phone. :)

The figure is coming out good so far.
    The overall appearance is nice and well
    balanced.
    A few areas needs some attention:

1. The collars and the flaps on chest pockets are
    over sized and way too thick. Don't be afraid to
    shave off the putty using a blade. He's wearing a
    thin shirt. Shaving technique can help to achieve
    the appearance of thin material.

2. The area around the eyes and nose need some
    delicate work. Shaving technique can also help here.

3. Watch carefully at his posture in the photo
    and compare it to the figure. You will notice that
    his head/neck is one an angle, his right shoulder is
    lower than the left. etc. This is a relaxed pose.

4. Add the feet and make sure the figure stands
    up on its own with a good balance. Also, I suspect
    the ends of the pants are not tucked in.

Make sure you post the progress pics. :)
  3. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    Thank you much for the response! That is why I posted the picture along with the sculpt! That is why your sculpts and your finished models are so fantastic. It's the details that you pay attention to that make so much of a difference. (y)

Thank you again and hope to post more pics
  4. tomapaul Active Member

Romania
    This is looking a lot better.Great job!
    What medium are you using now?
  5. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    Thanks tom, I am using Apoxie sculpt. The hardest part I guess starting off is figuring out what medium you are going to utilize. Just posting what I did so far. I am thinning out the overall uniform then adding a bit. With work and all it has been difficult to really sit back and complete a job on this figure, so its been a small piece of apoxie every day. Taesung, I see what you mean about thinning out.
    I really don't know what I was looking at first when comparing the figure to the pic I was quite off! Just taking my time now.

lowered the pockets and thinned out, collar, tilted the head a bit.

Attached Files:

6. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Looking good! Take your time and have fun.

Also, watch out for the length of the arms. :)
  7. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    Yes thank you much, I think so far the hardest part is the arms for me, just getting the folds right. Really just paying attention to the thickness of the shirt is really helping out.
  8. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    Don't get caught up in smallest details and small areas.
    Get the overall appearance and volume right, and you will
    have easier time working on details.

Also, when working from photographs,
    it's very difficult to make the folds and wrinkle
    exactly the same. The trick is to "suggest"
    the wrinkles and folds in a "convincing" way.
    :)
  9. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    Updated pics

Just feel like giving up on this! I actually just took off his right arm to redo... so that is in progress. I changed his face to give him more expression. I am using aves apoxie... what is the best way to get a finish on this medium.. Emery cloth after the apoxie hardens? What do you think about smoothing out the face? I know its on the ugly side now I am sure some finishing would look better, I just keep finding things wrong with it..

Attached Files:

10. tonydawe A Fixture

Australia
    Hi Derek,

I'm no expert on sculpting, but....To get a smooth finish, I suggest you lightly brush your figure with a damp (not too wet) brush before the putty sets hard and use the brush to work the putty into the rough areas. This will allow you to even up any rough surface patches and reduce any unwanted marks or lumps that might show up.

After the putty has dried, it might also be helpful to give the figure a light sanding with some very fine sand paper or steel wool. Try to avoid scouring the surface with the sand paper or steel wool, by being very gentle and light.

Good luck with this project and don't give up. Keep at it and you will be rewarded for your persistence.
  11. housecarl Moderator

United-Kingdom
    It's your first try Derek, keep at it.
    Carl.
  12. 1969 A Fixture

United-Kingdom
    Derek my first figure i sculpted took me over a year to complete and i put it away as a failed attempt half way through but i then decided to finish it one day and havent looked back since, maybe you have given yourself a unecessary pressure by setting a time limit to get it finished, maybe forget the deadline and just enjoy the work and you will find you will yield better results.
    I think you are doing a good job overall and its worth seeing this one through even if you dont like the result it can act as a practice run to do the figure again and you will learn from any mistakes you make with it.
    As for smooth finish its important to have a smooth a finish as possible before the putty hardens, as Tony said use a damp new brush to smooth the putty while it is still soft, be gentle with it and you should get good results. I use a new sythetic brush for each sculpt to get as good a finish as possible.
    Another point is to maybe leave the putty to firm for about half an hour before sculpting with it as you will find its a bit better to handle and will smooth a lot easier.

Hope this helps and i would love to see you finish this one.

Steve
  13. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    IMHO, you need to have tools with very smooth surface.
    I wet my tools in baby oil before working the putty.
    And once it dries, I smooth out any necessary areas with
    sharp blade and fine sand paper.
    Compare to other sculptors, my figures don't have ultra
    smooth surface. Mike Good's figures have very smooth
    finish. Not sure how he does it...
  14. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    Thank you all for taking the time out to respond. I guess the frustrating part is, well when going through the process you realize that< you should have done it this way>.. then you keep changing it without moving on! Haha. Thanks for the motivation. Anyways.... the hands. If you guys have any ideas on how you guys do it let me know.

Thanks again!
  15. Jamie Stokes Well-Known Member

Australia
    Derek,

you are making good progress, and being prepared to rework an area (and get advice form others!) is a big assist in learning.

As for a smooth finish, I too was frustrated until I examined the working ends of my tools - because I bought mine on a budget, the finish of them was not the greatest.

So I spent (and still am spending) time on polishing the working ends with sandpapers and metal polish till I have the tools with a smooth finish.

Its usually easier to add texture, then to remove it.

Cheers,

and keep up the good work
  16. fanai Well-Known Member

Australia
    Yes work forward mate - it may seem imperfect but that is the "human" part of it A machine makes perfect but gives no life - Enjoy and allow the mistakes it is ok - I am less worried about finish as I am feel - finsh and fabric are just small parts but feel or flavour is what makes yours unique -allow yourself development time - The others have given you great encouragement - keep going
    Ian - a fellow on the same path
  17. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    Thanks again, you all have inputed great information. Thank you for the time you all took to respond. I have already corrected some of the figure..making sure that the tools are clean and damp is a great tip in itself. The hands, well this is going to be interesting....if you guys have any tips with scuplting hands let me know.

Thanks!
  18. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    Just got fet up with the other one, the posture was so off that it could not be fixed. Just working on a new one. Touch ups needed. Sculpted a new head, but I dont think I will keep this one, I feel it needs to look younger. Thanks guys.

Attached Files:

19. T50 A Fixture

United-States
    I think your work is getting much better.
    The first head you showed was quite nice.
  20. LAXMAN05 Member

United-States
    Thank you again it is well appreciated. I used a new medium and was able to create this head.. took 2 days to complete though. Sculpy III, and made it a nice gray to see the details... I think that is what the problem is. I wanted more personality and by focusing on the small details i was able to create something better I think. Thanks again... I am learning from all of you.

Attached Files: